• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Top 3 Guitarists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneguide

Ain't Life Grand
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2014
Saco Maine
Love this thread.

I am going to mention the 3 that blew me away live...

Jerry Garcia...sometimes a bit too unorganized but that could also be a lot of fun.

Mikey Houser (RIP) from Widespread Panic. Just a master of using his volume pedal and his solos were alway very tasteful.

Eric Johnson...I blame him for my tinnitus. Standing right in front of him one night in Boston...he was INSANE! He also played 3 encores that night. Simply amazing.

Honorable mentions to..,,
Jeff Beck
SRV
Carlos Santana
Todd Park Mohr
Steve Morse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sambuca

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Albuquerque
ooh, bass players...

#1 with no comparison: Jaco Pastorius
#2 just a personal favorite, the "wandering bass" of Gary Thain (Keef Hartley, Uriah Heep)
#3 Stanley Clarke

high honorable mentions to:

Chris Squire (Yes)
Greg Ridley (Humble Pie)
Mel Schacher (GFR)
Geddy Lee
Paul McCartney
the Ox

2 person faves:
Kasim Sulton (Utopia, Meatloaf, etc)
Johnnette Napolitano (Concrete Blonde)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I always watch to see if guitar players use their little finger. When I was 15 and playing in my first band, the bass player once looked at me and said, "You are a talented guitar player, but you will never be great unless you use your little finger all the time."

I was shocked at the revelation, but started to think about it and he made sense. I see so many good guitar players (many famous players) who keep their little finger tucked in and don't use it. I made myself begin to use the little finger after he pointed it out and it really expanded my playing. Once I built some strength in it there were things I could never do that came easily once I had four fingers working out on the fingerboard. Now, it's normal for me to walk four frets when I play riffs and the scales are so much easier to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread