top airflow, top fill, drop in coil tank ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Smok X-Baby, top air, top fill. Freemax Starre Pure as well. However, I'm not sure I would ever use a tank with factory coils on a mech. The insulation between the positive and negative isn't always the greatest.
9/10 times you see e-cigs explosion i've heard it's because someone used a mech with a sub 0hm tank.
I honestly doubt it's a good idea to use these 2 together.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
9/10 times you see e-cigs explosion i've heard it's because someone used a mech with a sub 0hm tank.
I honestly doubt it's a good idea to use these 2 together.
The safety issues have been expressed to the OP on multiple occasions. Not much more you can do and I personally won't recommend anything to someone who is not using common sense and safety. No offense to the OP, but it's just not safe. I have had a stock coil short on a regulated mod and it happens without warning.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Dovpo Safe Link between mech mod and atty.
Got mine for $3.
That's good at least :). Have you ever thought of learning to build? You would probably get some fantastic flavor out of your juices. I use the Kanger Toptank RBA mostly and still will use stock coils for it from time to time, but get much better flavor with the RBA.

Reactions: stols001

Terry Koontz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2017
That's good at least :). Have you ever thought of learning to build? You would probably get some fantastic flavor out of your juices. I use the Kanger Toptank RBA mostly and still will use stock coils for it from time to time, but get much better flavor with the RBA.
Sounds like too much work.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
It really isn't once you get the hang of it. I wanted nothing to do with building when I first started vaping, but was curious and watched a couple YouTube videos for my tank and now I can make one and install in less then a couple minutes. I don't make anything fancy, just a simple 28g 8 wrap with a 2.5 ID and get a perfect vape for me.

Terry Koontz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2017
It really isn't once you get the hang of it. I wanted nothing to do with building when I first started vaping, but was curious and watched a couple YouTube videos for my tank and now I can make one and install in less then a couple minutes. I don't make anything fancy, just a simple 28g 8 wrap with a 2.5 ID and get a perfect vape for me.
Funny thing is my Freemax Scylla came with an RTA head.
Maybe some day.
If I do I’ll be askng for advice !

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
TK, you should try it. If I can build a coil and install it, anyone can :) I mean that in the sense that I am completely mechanically challenged AND have a slight motor tremor and I need magnification glasses to do it, but I *can*. Wicking is still my issue, but that's improving as well.

If you really want to go mech, go BIG or go home. :) I mean that in two senses.... Don't blow yourself up, and IMO if you are using stock coils on a mech mod, you aren't really a mech "user" the whole idea is building your own coil at the EXACT resistance that you like and is safe for your mech, not using a safe link, that's sorta like turning your mech into a regulated mod (although for GOD'S sake if you are going to use stock coils, I'm glad you are going to use one!!!) But really, you may be shocked at how much you enjoy coilbuilding and the world of possibilities it opens up....

One day could be *any* day, LOL. I built coils sooner than I might have as I feared deeming etc., but really, now I've done a few, it's so much less of a big deal than it was. Don't get me wrong, I had a learning curve like Everest, but I had fun the *whole time*, (the Husband maybe less so, :lol:,) but we got that first coil built and I learned enough to use my own frankencoils and funky wicks without adult supervision, even! Seriously, give it a shot sometime.... I can't even fathom using a mech and that's AFTER building coils, so.... You probably would do better than you thought and you might love it! :) :)

*Much encouragement sent Terry's way to build a coil for his mech, LOL.*

Anna

Terry Koontz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2017
TK, you should try it. If I can build a coil and install it, anyone can :) I mean that in the sense that I am completely mechanically challenged AND have a slight motor tremor and I need magnification glasses to do it, but I *can*. Wicking is still my issue, but that's improving as well.

If you really want to go mech, go BIG or go home. :) I mean that in two senses.... Don't blow yourself up, and IMO if you are using stock coils on a mech mod, you aren't really a mech "user" the whole idea is building your own coil at the EXACT resistance that you like and is safe for your mech, not using a safe link, that's sorta like turning your mech into a regulated mod (although for GOD'S sake if you are going to use stock coils, I'm glad you are going to use one!!!) But really, you may be shocked at how much you enjoy coilbuilding and the world of possibilities it opens up....

One day could be *any* day, LOL. I built coils sooner than I might have as I feared deeming etc., but really, now I've done a few, it's so much less of a big deal than it was. Don't get me wrong, I had a learning curve like Everest, but I had fun the *whole time*, (the Husband maybe less so, :lol:,) but we got that first coil built and I learned enough to use my own frankencoils and funky wicks without adult supervision, even! Seriously, give it a shot sometime.... I can't even fathom using a mech and that's AFTER building coils, so.... You probably would do better than you thought and you might love it! :) :)

*Much encouragement sent Terry's way to build a coil for his mech, LOL.*

Anna
I use a mech because I get better taste and flavor.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Not really, you don't have to roll your own coils, you could just be them pre-rolled and put em in (that's what i might do for a while until i get comfy with rebuildables) The hardest part is wicking and that's why imho building is not for everyone and why i won't say you should do it, but tbh it never hurts to try specially since you use a mech mod which btw dosen't give you more flavor (matter of fact the tank or rba,rta whatever gives the flavor not the mod)

Imo if you can fiddle and do the work of knowing your stuff around a mech mod using an rba should be child play for ya.

Terry Koontz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2017
Not really, you don't have to roll your own coils, you could just be them pre-rolled and put em in (that's what i might do for a while until i get comfy with rebuildables) The hardest part is wicking and that's why imho building is not for everyone and why i won't say you should do it, but tbh it never hurts to try specially since you use a mech mod which btw dosen't give you more flavor (matter of fact the tank or rba,rta whatever gives the flavor not the mod)

Imo if you can fiddle and do the work of knowing your stuff around a mech mod using an rba should be child play for ya.
What’s the issue with wicking ?
What’s the difference between rba and rta ?
All I know is for me I get better flavor on a mech than a reg.

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
I use a mech because I get better taste and flavor.
Taste and flavor doesn't necessarily come from the mech mod, it will come more from your coil. A good set of dual fused Claptons .15 ohms on a regulated mod at 60 -70 watts is tops for flavor. Tanks or RDAS with top airflow are going to have less flavor than the bottom airflow. If you want to go top airflow you may want to look at a combo RDTA like the OBS Crius or The IJoy Combo, but this is going to require building coils
An RTA is a tank with a rebuildable deck, an RDA is just the rebuildabe dripper with a small reservoir, good for a few good vapes before you have to drip some more juice on the wicks. An RDTA or Combo is both with the build deck above the tank so your airflow is up top but still beneath the coils and the wicks feed down into the tank... I prefer the RDTA Combo myself

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
What’s the issue with wicking ?
What’s the difference between rba and rta ?
All I know is for me I get better flavor on a mech than a reg.
Flavor is subjective i don't see how you can get better flavor since it's the tank that produces vapor
wicking is mostly putting cotton into the coils,hard part is having the right amount in it so there's no leakage with the right lenght (lenght is usually easier to find though) but when you first start wicking it's fiddly but gets progressively easier. Rba is the base like what i'm using (ie rebuildable atomiser) and an rta is basically a normal tank with a rebuildable atomiser below it (for example a big baby beast tank with the rba base on it would be considered an rta) rda is one where you drip your ejuice directly onto the coils every few puffs,i don't do those but most users of these says it's best for flavor chasing.

Hope that answers your question :) And again i'm not saying you SHOULD use one but if your budget permits it imo it's a good thing to try it (worst case scenario you won't like it and go back to drop in coils,which is okay in my book)

Terry Koontz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2017
Taste and flavor doesn't necessarily come from the mech mod, it will come more from your coil. A good set of dual fused Claptons .15 ohms on a regulated mod at 60 -70 watts is tops for flavor. Tanks or RDAS with top airflow are going to have less flavor than the bottom airflow. If you want to go top airflow you may want to look at a combo RDTA like the OBS Crius or The IJoy Combo, but this is going to require building coils
All I know is that if I put the same atty on a mech and a reg, the mech tastes better.

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
All I know is that if I put the same atty on a mech and a reg, the mech tastes better.
Since I use mechs too I can understand what you are saying, but as the battery loses power, your coils aren't heating as quickly or as long and flavor diminishes, whereas a regulated mod gives you the same vape thru out the battery charge. An adjustment of the setting on the regulated device should give you the same experience, but if you are happy with your mech mod and know ohms law and battery safety, then stick with what you know.
I was really only stating that top airflow tanks will not have the flavor that bottom airflow tanks have, so you may have to consider building your own coils. Maybe you should head over to the mech mod forum for more help.
Good luck

Terry Koontz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2017
Since I use mechs too I can understand what you are saying, but as the battery loses power, your coils aren't heating as quickly or as long and flavor diminishes, whereas a regulated mod gives you the same vape thru out the battery charge. An adjustment of the setting on the regulated device should give you the same experience, but if you are happy with your mech mod and know ohms law and battery safety, then stick with what you know.
I was really only stating that top airflow tanks will not have the flavor that bottom airflow tanks have, so you may have to consider building your own coils. Maybe you should head over to the mech mod forum for more help.
Good luck
Like I said in a previous post,
I have a safe link.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Like I said in a previous post,
I have a safe link.

I had to look into what the safe link actually does, but near as I can tell, it has no capacitors or power regulation of any kind... that battery is losing power just like it would without. Gofishtx was simply trying to advise why a regulated device, if you tinkered a little more and find your sweet spot, would vape in that sweet spot longer.

I'm a mech user myself and by all means I prefer the vape on mechanical devices over regulated. But I swap batteries frequently, and build specifically for whatever RDA I'm using and about 4 volt. I can't help but think that the superior vape you're experiencing is due to a happy coincidence with the coil you popped in.

Besides which, I just gotta know, just how BIG is this kicked-tanked-mech anyway? I'm figuring 16" assuming a tube. Jeebus.

Finally, and I mean sorry, man, but it's gotta be said (IMO, etc. etc.): That thing is no substitute for a thorough knowledge of ohm's law and battery safety. Mechs aren't to be feared, but they are to be respected and understood. Vape how you gotta, but it's a really unusual setup, man.

Terry Koontz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2017
I had to look into what the safe link actually does, but near as I can tell, it has no capacitors or power regulation of any kind... that battery is losing power just like it would without. Gofishtx was simply trying to advise why a regulated device, if you tinkered a little more and find your sweet spot, would vape in that sweet spot longer.

I'm a mech user myself and by all means I prefer the vape on mechanical devices over regulated. But I swap batteries frequently, and build specifically for whatever RDA I'm using and about 4 volt. I can't help but think that the superior vape you're experiencing is due to a happy coincidence with the coil you popped in.

Besides which, I just gotta know, just how BIG is this kicked-tanked-mech anyway? I'm figuring 16" assuming a tube. Jeebus.

Finally, and I mean sorry, man, but it's gotta be said (IMO, etc. etc.): That thing is no substitute for a thorough knowledge of ohm's law and battery safety. Mechs aren't to be feared, but they are to be respected and understood. Vape how you gotta, but it's a really unusual setup, man.
I know ohm’s law and I know battery safety.
And I know what I like.
And yes I swap batteries a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread