Status
Not open for further replies.

DeviantDigi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2010
adasdad
Greetings,
I recently I got into 3D printing (Creality Ender-3). I was thinking I could make some custom mods for my friends. A mod with their name etc etc. But I have been away from these forums - and the e-cig modding scene - for quite some time given things are so accessible and affordable these days. I'm here to ask you what main board should I go with for the mods?

I cannot say the usage aspects exactly. Something 200w, with safety features, that most vapers are comfortable with. I would aim for a dual 18650 configuration. The size doesn't really matter. I would prefer a display. I would also love it if I was able to customize the start up logo etc to send a friendly message or something like that. I would appreciate dedicated solder pads for a custom firing button as I plan on using a full sized button. Also adds that I don't have to design much around the chip. I wouldn't prefer to desolder that SMB style button to add my own. I'll probably build around 5 of these as gifts, so I do not want to spend too much on each board.

Any advice or a point in some direction with the board would be great.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
I would say a DNA 250c would cover all your requirements :) Well maybe except cost :(
The lowest I have seen lots of 5 DNA250c's is around the 70 USD each range.

Building your own mods has become very costly lately :( I'm fairly certain, if you start looking & pricing parts needed, the cost will be more than comparable store bought mods :(
Even with your 3D printing capability/advantage.

If your looking for some thing "Custom" & don't mind spending the $ ? it mite be worth it, To You?

DeviantDigi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2010
adasdad
I would say a DNA 250c would cover all your requirements :) Well maybe except cost :(
The lowest I have seen lots of 5 DNA250c's is around the 70 USD each range.

Building your own mods has become very costly lately :( I'm fairly certain, if you start looking & pricing parts needed, the cost will be more than comparable store bought mods :(
Even with your 3D printing capability/advantage.

If your looking for some thing "Custom" & don't mind spending the $ ? it mite be worth it, To You?

I can agree after have a look around for parts. The "ROI," was much better back in the day at least when I was into modding. Afterwards, even with the sweat and elbow grease, you had a better performing device than the market offered. ... I mean, it's hard to merely find a 510 connector on Madvapes these days! That alone blows my mind as they were the kings of mod parts. XD

Maybe I should should go straight unregulated but with a safety module?

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
To build a good quality mod your self today there are a few short cuts.
This guy sells some older diy mods he must of bought at a liquidation sale?
HANA MODZ DNA 250 200 75 Do It Yourself (DIY) kit 11 colors. *Free Battery* incl | eBay

Very! good price, but not really what your looking for (Custom)?

You could build 3D printed PWM mods & not spend a fortune on parts :)
Not fully mechanical, some built in safety :)
There are sites that sell kits, Pretty much every thing you would need :)

Here are a few site I like to use for DIY parts
Protovapor.com
StealthVape
DIY Box Mod Kits and Supplies Canada - Analog Box Mods

It is a fun hobby & very satisfying to make your own mod :)
I still do it :) But it's not to save $ on buying a mod.

DeviantDigi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2010
adasdad
To build a good quality mod your self today there are a few short cuts.
This guy sells some older diy mods he must of bought at a liquidation sale?
HANA MODZ DNA 250 200 75 Do It Yourself (DIY) kit 11 colors. *Free Battery* incl | eBay

Very! good price, but not really what your looking for (Custom)?

You could build 3D printed PWM mods & not spend a fortune on parts :)
Not fully mechanical, some built in safety :)
There are sites that sell kits, Pretty much every thing you would need :)

Here are a few site I like to use for DIY parts
Protovapor.com
StealthVape
DIY Box Mod Kits and Supplies Canada - Analog Box Mods

It is a fun hobby & very satisfying to make your own mod :)
I still do it :) But it's not to save $ on buying a mod.

I may need to lower my expectations a bit; as you say with the PWM mods. And they would be suitable. Just trying to grasp the scope of this project and it's costs. I think what I'll do is try to snipe some online auctions and use their guts for my bidding!

Like take this guy: Authentic Wismec Reuleaux RX2 20700 200W Box Mod - Brown Rip the board out, then add my own spring loaded 510 and button etc. to a custom case.

Last edited:

Lufty

Sep 13, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
You can always try to find last gen DNA boards for cheaper. The non-color. Im not sure what their going for nowadays for just the board, but I wouldnt be surprised if you could get them for 1/3rd the price of the 75c/250c. Or maybe older previous gen Yihi boards.

Dripp3d has DNA 75s for 33$ a pop it seems and their DNA200 for 50$ and DNA250 for 58.xx$

I didnt look to deep but you can probably find used ones for cheaper, but theyre used /:

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread