Top-Filling Your Kayfun 3.1 (ES) (clone or authentic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
I see a lot of people saying that you should block off the airflow hole when you top fill to avoid leaking; THAT IS FALSE.

The problem is that doing this causes liquid to still push in to the chimney section; it just doesn't come out of the AFC. That means it will still be gurgly/leaky until you cook the excess juice away.

Here is how to top-fill with no worries; after filling your tank with liquid, place the top cap on so that the o-ring on the cap is just resting on the body of the tank. Now, what you need to do is as you start screwing on your top cap past where the o-ring is just sitting above the tank section, flip the entire tank upside down. If you do it right, the o-ring resting on the tank before you screw it on will be enough to stop liquid from pouring back out of the top cap, granted you are applying pressure. Then just continue to screw it on whilst holding the tank upside down.

As I said, blocking the AFC only stops liquid from coming out of the AFC; It doesn't prevent flooding. With my suggested technique, instead of liquid being pushed in to the chimney, air is pushed in to the chimney and out the top and through the afc instead, since there is only air around the chimney whilst upside down. After that, just flip it back over and voila; you just top-filled with absolutely no hint of a leak or gurgle; keep in mind it may take a tiny bit longer for the wick to get saturated since you won't be flooding your chimney section.

Hope this helps, doubt it will

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Since we're talking 3.1 here. If you empty the bottom catch tank, every couple fills. You reduce leakage also. Seems mine leaks mainly only when there is alot of fluid down there.
Yeah, I seem to get more gurgling and leaking, when I do block the air holes. Never really understood the plugging of the intake, when your leaving the drip-tip wide open.

On my 3.1, I use the side fill hole.. I bend the tip of a needle dropper bottle. So I just stick it in and around the corner to the fill port. Take a few second more and have to have the screw driver. But my chimney o-ring is tight and tends to unscrew the chimney, when removing the top cap.

Neither method prevents drainage from the chamber and down the drip tip.

I just grab a tissue when I refill. The whole setup could probably use a wipe down anyway by the time I burn through a tank.

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
My method has no drainage in either the drip tip or afc/chamber, Because it is upside down, air is pushed out instead of liquid.

The ball valve annoys me when using high VG juies or the SS tank for tank-cracking juices, so I tend not to use it often.

As for the collection cup, I don't have anything in it to empty since starting to fill like this

duc916

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Nor Cal
It's not enough to just plug the intake when you top fill right-side up. You have to simultaneously plug the drip tip hole. That seals the chimney. If the chimney is sealed properly liquid can't enter because air can't escape. They share the same plenum, so obviously you have to plug both. It's like a straw that you plug with your fingertip. Stick it in your drink and no liquid enters. Same principle. That's what most of the people here don't get. I use an Orchid V4 with a KF top fill cap. I have to plug three holes (dual-intakes) and it works perfectly 100% of the time. 5ml in about 15 seconds and not a micro-drop wasted.

Last edited:

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
It's not enough to just plug the intake when you top fill right-side up. You have to simultaneously plug the drip tip hole. That seals the chimney. If the chimney is sealed properly liquid can't enter because air can't escape. They share the same plenum, so obviously you have to plug both. It's like a straw that you plug with your fingertip. Stick it in your drink and no liquid enters. Same principle. That's what most of the people here don't get. I use an Orchid V4 with a KF top fill cap. I have to plug three holes (dual-intakes) and it works perfectly 100% of the time. 5ml in about 15 seconds and not a micro-drop wasted.

The problem here is that even though it is sealed at both ends, the air pressure increases since air can't escape. When you release those seals, the air pressure will force liquid down into the catch cup/afc, and/or the chimney. You need air to be able to be released when you fill it. That's why the ball valve bottom fill works; air goes out the chimney.

duc916

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Nor Cal
The problem here is that even though it is sealed at both ends, the air pressure increases since air can't escape. When you release those seals, the air pressure will force liquid down into the catch cup/afc, and/or the chimney. You need air to be able to be released when you fill it. That's why the ball valve bottom fill works; air goes out the chimney.

I disagree. The force of gravity trying to push that tiny amount of liquid into the channels is not anywhere close to being strong enough to pressurize the air in the chimney. If what you say is true, then I've imagined the last several months of perfect, flood-free and gurgle-free refills. My Orchid has twice as many liquid channels as your Kayfun and still I lose nothing.

Just try it. What's the worst that can happen?

duc916

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Nor Cal
Cory, I think I figured out why we disagree.... I misunderstood you. You're talking about completely removing the top cap. I'm talking about using an accessory called the "top fill cap". :laugh:

Spend $5 and use my method. Trust me it's better than anything you're doing now.

1815409-1.jpg

Last edited:

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
Cory, I think I figured out why we disagree.... I misunderstood you. You're talking about completely removing the top cap. I'm talking about using an accessory called the "top fill cap". :laugh:

Spend $5 and use my method. Trust me it's better than anything you're doing now.

1815409-1.jpg

I agree. I was just pointing this method out for someone who didn't have any accessories.

Obviously if you have at top cap with a hole for air to escape, then you are fine considering they are designed specifically to be filled at the top :p

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
I haven't seen one of those. Where did you get it? Is it stainless steel, or chromed brass? I normally fill from the top, and do not use either of the other two fill methods. I have the clone. I lost the tiny o ring yesterday that goes in the top fill port of the deck. All the rest of the o rings, have been changed out recently on it. I don't know what size that o ring is, but when I find out, I will order some spares. I completely remove the top cap to fill. I like the look of your top fill cap.

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
I haven't seen one of those. Where did you get it? Is it stainless steel, or chromed brass? I normally fill from the top, and do not use either of the other two fill methods. I have the clone. I lost the tiny o ring yesterday that goes in the top fill port of the deck. All the rest of the o rings, have been changed out recently on it. I don't know what size that o ring is, but when I find out, I will order some spares. I completely remove the top cap to fill. I like the look of your top fill cap.

What top fill port of the deck?

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
I use it rarely. It's too slow for me with high VG, but as long as all your o-rings are sealed, it won't leak. Most you'll get is excess from the nose of the bottle pooled in the hole, and that's not much at all.

Still, I tend to top fill when I change my cotton to not hold it upside down and disturb it, which is very often for me

rflash

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2014
Oak Grove,MN,USA
I've been using the "chopstick method" for many months now, not a single leak, drip or gurgle ever if done right. Got it down so it takes me less than a minute to fill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEBL4uZ_zv4
Not me in the video, I should have clarified that in the original post. That is a video by Richard Ng, one of the best vape reviewers on YouTube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread