Total newb - Subtank Mini !

Status
Not open for further replies.

tawheed

Feb 17, 2015
Edmonton, AB
Good day all,

First off I'd like to say I've been lurking on this forum like crazy while trying to learn about the smoke and mirrors that vaping can appear to be to a n00b.

I finally worked up the guts to walk in to a local B&M to see if I could find something to compare with the hookahs I've been smoking for the last 10-15 years. They were extremely friendly and sold me an Atlantis with a CF Sub OHM battery - I was BLOWN away by the vapour production and the flavour that this thing was kicking out. After using it for a week or so I noticed I continuously ended up with e-juice on my tongue and in my mouth. I was convinced I needed to step up my game and get something new.

I ordered a Subtank Mini along with a Sigelei 50w vr2 mod from a Canadian retailer. They finally showed up yesterday, after all the reading I've done it would seem that the subtank with the 0.5 ohm OCC should vape best at around 20w. So I juiced it up, tossed in a battery and fired it up - I couldn't believe how hot the vapour was - my entire mouth was very hot and mostly the drip tip. I've been messing around with it and am finding that I can't handle the heat comfortably of anything over 7w. Keep in mind I'm taking long direct to lung draws, with the airflow hole on maximum air flow with 0mg juice.

What am I doing wrong? I tried putting the atlantis on the sigelei and when it's not spitting juice it's giving me very good flavour and huge vapour production at around 22w. I also tried putting the 1.2 ohm OCC coil in the subtank mini and found a decent spot at around 15-17w, however the vapour production is quite disappointing.

Look forward to any advice that you have

JRohrer

Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Belmont, California, United States
I too have found that the subtank runs hot. You may want to look into a different drip tip. I have a delrin (Heat resistant plastic) wide bore tip that I like. You can also get small delerin bottom pieces that you can put you preferred drip tip in. This may help to cool the drip tip. 20150218_034922023_iOS.jpg See the attached photo.

tawheed

Feb 17, 2015
Edmonton, AB
Are you pulling really hard and fast when drawing on the subtank mini??

Not overly hard or fast.. I've tried going harder and faster too and on low wattage I start getting coil flavour. It's so hot though that as soon as I hit the button and try and draw I feel overwhelmed by the heat. My atlantis tip doesn't fit on the mini - should any other 510 tip fit okay?

thanks

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
I've not experienced this problem with mine. The .5 coil IS warmer, but not hot, and the 1.2 gives as much vape as the sub ohm, but much cooler.
I've found that when I rebuild the occ coils, I prefer the vape of a 1.2 ohm macro, 26 gauge kanthal, 10 wraps on a 3mm bit, not spaced (I torch and pinch them together). I get more vapor production at a cooler temp when run at the same wattage of a sub ohm build (24-25 watts is my sweet spot)
Sent with one hand, the other is busy vaping.

Paramaniac413

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2014
South Central PA
I had to get a long drip tip for my mini as well. I'm going to run to the shop tomorrow (before it snows again Saturday) to find either a longer drip tip or something that won't conduct the heat like the short one on my nano does. This is what I had on my mini:
f9660e903d09812006eac88cb02e4fb5.jpg

50f5b83330f626dd04239bd5a0cddf6a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paramaniac413

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2014
South Central PA
Holy cow, you could perform a Tracheotomy with that. LOL.... I kid, I kid. It's cool. :ohmy:

LOL! Probably! I like to call that my, "holy jiminie cricket, it's cold out here, the dog can't find the 'perfect spot,' so I'll just keep my hands in my sleeves and vape" drip tip. lol

tawheed

Feb 17, 2015
Edmonton, AB
You'll enjoy your mini a lot more with a different tip. I don't like the heat either. I didn't find it as extreme as you... but I can understand not liking it!

I bought pyrex glass tips for my subtanks. No heat at all transfered into these. Easy to clean. And cheap.

good luck.

Where can I get a pyrex drip tip to fit the mini in Canada? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread