Total Noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

lefty23

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2013
Chicago, IL, USA
Hey everyone, I've been vaping for over 2 and a half years and am completely hooked. I vape nothing but NETs, and thought I would give my first DIY liquid a shot. So I've got a nice blend of finely ground tobaccos, and I know I need neutral PG/VG base (I don't plan on adding any extra nic or flavors). Do I basically just steep the tobacco in the liquid? If there's nothing else to it (which I'm sure there is) how long should I let it steep? I also have pretty serious stomach problems, and was going to add some fresh ground ginger in there too, will this take extra steeping time or other processes to extract the active ingredients from the ginger? Obviously I have no idea what I'm doing, so if it's just easier to direct me to some of the wealth of knowledge here, that would be fantastic. Otherwise, if this is a basic enough process and you can just walk me through it, that would also be great. Thanks in advance for your help. Vape on!

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Extracting flavor from tobacco is easy, rewarding and inexpensive. The first bit of advise I'd offer is don't use VG as the extraction solvent, it's too difficult to filter. For tobacco, there are several extraction solvents and methods of extraction that can be used. Which solvent and extraction method is "best" is a matter of personal preference. PG (propylene glycol) and PGA (pure grain alcohol) are the two most commonly used extraction solvents. The two most common extraction methods are "cold" (room temperature) soaks, and "hot" (heat assisted) steeps. The tobacco used also makes a difference, some tobaccos yield a robust and tasty extract, others don't so it's trial and error finding those you like. There are threads in this sub-forum discussing each extraction method in detail, I strongly suggest taking the time review them. If you have any questions, just ask. Have fun!

Cold extraction, https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/cold-maceration-of-tobacco.508026/
Hot extraction, https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/slow-cooker-extraction-of-tobacco-and-tea.357599/

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
Hey everyone, I've been vaping for over 2 and a half years and am completely hooked. I vape nothing but NETs, and thought I would give my first DIY liquid a shot. So I've got a nice blend of finely ground tobaccos, and I know I need neutral PG/VG base (I don't plan on adding any extra nic or flavors). Do I basically just steep the tobacco in the liquid? If there's nothing else to it (which I'm sure there is) how long should I let it steep? I also have pretty serious stomach problems, and was going to add some fresh ground ginger in there too, will this take extra steeping time or other processes to extract the active ingredients from the ginger? Obviously I have no idea what I'm doing, so if it's just easier to direct me to some of the wealth of knowledge here, that would be fantastic. Otherwise, if this is a basic enough process and you can just walk me through it, that would also be great. Thanks in advance for your help. Vape on!
Just read this subforum. It's all in here.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread