Totally Wicked Odyssey Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
As some folks are aware, I love a good tube style APV, stainless steel, and tanks. The Odyssey by TW covers all three in a sleek and curvy package.

The Odyssey is a mechanical, bottom switch, 14500 battery APV. The switch is mechanically lockable. The device comes with a carto tank which has a cutout/countersink for use with flanged cartos. The tank has the standard o-ring seals in the usual locations along with a couple inside the tank to seal the tempered glass interior. The tank has two oblong windows for liquid level checking. Along with the batteries and charger, the kit also comes with a tank filling adapter.

The Pros

The device had some design input from the original team that developed the Screwdriver series of mods. I consider this to be a pro since it adds curves to a class of mods that are often rather plain and straight. The construction is quite solid in most areas and the device has a nice balanced feel. The button is easily activated and easily lockable. The device is milled with little teardrop notches along the exterior of the button, the top of the ego thread cover, and on the included stainless drip tip.

Since it uses a standard ego top connector, it worked well with all of my ego specific elements like the Vision clearos and skirted DCTs. The tank worked well with punched cartos and factory flanged cartos. The top of the ego thread cover has airway notches milled in allowing flanged cartos to sit flush and gapless while allowing for a nice easy draw.

The device has a spring for the top + connection allowing for variations in battery sizes. The unit fuctioned well with the Trustfire protected 14500, AW IMR 14500, and AW protected 14500 batteries. One older AW protected and all of the Ultrafire 14500s that I had were an extremely tight fit. The loosest fit were the IMRs.

The Cons

The devices first batch had some issues. Some were shipped with missing parts and the included charger had problems working with European power systems. TW has pulled all available stock and has temporarily stopped taking/sending further orders until upgraded units become available. On their forum, they advised that this will be within a week or so. In the meantime, purchasers with malfunctioning units are being sent free replacement parts which were tested for functionality. I have been told by TW customer service that a new upgraded top half will be sent free as soon as they become available, even though my current one is fully operational.

The device also lacks any sort of safety vents in the case of a battery failure. I was told that the protected 14500 battery would not vent with sufficient force that would cause an explosion and that the gas would push the battery down in the housing causing the battery to disconnect itself from the + terminal spring.

My Opinions

I like it. It's solid and functions just like any of my other fixed voltage tube mods, just with a little more flair. I like the tank design and the fact that it handles my tank cracking juices without a hitch. The lack of vents don't bother me in the least as I have been using similarly ventless mods for years without issue. If I was really worried, I could always mill some slots in it. Unlike most of TWs offerings, this device has removable logos. They are basically stickers on the button and tank. Taking them off may void the 5 year warranty, but I haven't asked. If you do take them off, it will leave a void that may prove uncomfortable if not filled with something else. I used rapid set hard acrylic but a peel-n-stick bumper pad works just as well.

At ~$100 the price isn't all that bad, but certainly not cheap. It's not for everyone due to the lack of safety circuitry/features inherent in any mechanical mod. For me, I think it's great.

The tanks will supposedly be offered separately which, if priced reasonably, will be a nice thing to have. The tank filler attachment is OK IMO, but other designs work better for me. It was a tad messier than my other tank fillers, but it does make for a nice looking extra.

Hope this helps.

45192166.jpg

93484130.jpg

Last edited:

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Little update:

I have received the upgraded top half of the Odyssey. The eGo style connector at the top of these newer versions is brass which makes it easy to tell apart from the nickel plated top of the first batch. Instead of soldering a wire to the center post, TW has redesigned the connector portion to use a spring loaded rod on the inside + terminal and deleted all wiring and solder from the design. This is a plus in my opinion as it makes it more of an official "mechanical" mod than the previous version. I'm not a fan of solder in general. In a VV device there is a need for solder and circuits, with a fixed voltage unregulated mod it seems backwards.

In any case, the mod has been performing quite well and is still in my regular use rotation. I did have a leaking issue which I initially (and wrongly) blamed on the tank. The problem turned out to be the Smoktech cartos I was using. I actually had 3 bad ones in a row!!!

I appear to be unusually lucky when it comes to attys and cartos, since I've only ever had a couple of duds of anything in all the years I've been vaping. Three cartos in a row was a tremendous shock. All three leaked like crazy. They continued to do so in two other tanks of different design. So after using a non-defective carto, it ran perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Drumonron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2009
Little update:

I have received the upgraded top half of the Odyssey. The eGo style connector at the top of these newer versions is brass which makes it easy to tell apart from the nickel plated top of the first batch. Instead of soldering a wire to the center post, TW has redesigned the connector portion to use a spring loaded rod on the inside + terminal and deleted all wiring and solder from the design. This is a plus in my opinion as it makes it more of an official "mechanical" mod than the previous version. I'm not a fan of solder in general. In a VV device there is a need for solder and circuits, with a fixed voltage unregulated mod it seems backwards.

In any case, the mod has been performing quite well and is still in my regular use rotation. I did have a leaking issue which I initially (and wrongly) blamed on the tank. The problem turned out to be the Smoktech cartos I was using. I actually had 3 bad ones in a row!!!

I appear to be unusually lucky when it comes to attys and cartos, since I've only ever had a couple of duds of anything in all the years I've been vaping. Three cartos in a row was a tremendous shock. All three leaked like crazy. They continued to do so in two other tanks of different design. So after using a non-defective carto, it ran perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks tinstar15 for taking the time out to review the Odyssey...I went ahead and picked one up...if for nothing else, I am in love with my old screwdriver and this is the newest generation screwdriver....shout out to Trog!

Drumonron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2009
just wanted to send an update....still using my Odyssey and I gotta say...it's very trustworthy and I think it's a steal for the price. I'd buy one again If I had it to do over again...had some trouble priming the carts at first but I learned quickly from the great info on the tw site that the key is patience when first priming....prime...wait....fill....wait....fill...etc until liquid comes out of the holes and then forgettahboutit and enjoy weeks and weeks of trouble free tasty vape.

I kind of feel that the odyssey kind of got a bad wrap....I don't know why...but I gotta say that this product competes with chinese made products and it's built to last and last....couple the low price, form, long warranty, support....it's a sleeper.

Don't believe the bad rap...it's a keepuh for me.

imho.

Drumonron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2009
Coming up on a year with my odyssey so I thought I'd add a post:

This thing takes a licking....it still looks brand new. I use it on and off with my REO Grand but the entire unit as a whole is really unbeatable for 14500 fixed voltage vaping device, it's a great piece of kit. I cannot fault the device in any way and I can say that, though the price has gone up(was 99.99 when I bought it a year ago), it does the trick for me. What I like most about it is, if you get the priming secret down, you will be good.

I liked the kit so much I went all in for the gold unit and it's just something I like to hold and admire.

I bought enough carts to last me about 2 years so I'm good.

A pro for me is that it allows me to lock the switch and pocket it...it's never leaked for me and I don't seem to OD on nic with the odyssey, it supplies me with just the right amount.

disclaimer: if you vape non stop then perhaps this is not for you and it never will compete with a variable volt device but that's not a flaw of this device, my friend...it's fixed.

If you enjoy a personal vaporizer that is built like a fine watch with the toughness of a mercedes then the odyssey is the one to try...just watch the video on priming it for the first time.

Also, for me I was using it with bountyhunter and still am and found that this viscosity is the best on this for flavor and vape quantity.

Thanks and vape on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread