Status
Not open for further replies.

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
man, i'm shocked at how much flavoring percentages people are putting in. I've been using Flavor Arts and the Perfumers Apprentace (and only a couple of Capellas)... but it's been driving me crazy because most everything i made comes out way to strong and not good at all. I'm only making things at like %15 or %20 percent flavoring. I at first thought it was do to my 20 drops per ml calculations were off, so now I only use syringes to measure everything out and it's still not right... just to strong. I mixed up some plain old strawberry and pineapple at %10 percent last night just to see how that went... still gotta let it steep before doing a test.

But i'm so frustrated at the moment i'm about to take every flavor i have an make 3 small 3ml batches of them; one at %5 one at %10, and one at %15. Just so i can find out how strong they are.

My sweetener issue is a whole other thing. I have Flavor West sweetener and heard that 1 drop per ML was the way to go... so i did that and it didn't seem to sweeten at all. So than i read someone saying to use %10 of it, so i gave that a shot and it was sooo strong i almost puked taking a puff. Had to go wash out my atty after that.

needless to say i'm very frustrated at my DIY'ing.

paddymx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2012
Asheboro,NC
man, i'm shocked at how much flavoring percentages people are putting in. I've been using Flavor Arts and the Perfumers Apprentace (and only a couple of Capellas)... but it's been driving me crazy because most everything i made comes out way to strong and not good at all. I'm only making things at like %15 or %20 percent flavoring. I at first thought it was do to my 20 drops per ml calculations were off, so now I only use syringes to measure everything out and it's still not right... just to strong. I mixed up some plain old strawberry and pineapple at %10 percent last night just to see how that went... still gotta let it steep before doing a test.

But i'm so frustrated at the moment i'm about to take every flavor i have an make 3 small 3ml batches of them; one at %5 one at %10, and one at %15. Just so i can find out how strong they are.

My sweetener issue is a whole other thing. I have Flavor West sweetener and heard that 1 drop per ML was the way to go... so i did that and it didn't seem to sweeten at all. So than i read someone saying to use %10 of it, so i gave that a shot and it was sooo strong i almost puked taking a puff. Had to go wash out my atty after that.

needless to say i'm very frustrated at my DIY'ing.

Me too! I've been doing this for 8 months and still haven't got it. I use FA and TFA flavors and find that lower %'s are better for me. I tried multi flavor mixes at first but that wasn't working either. Sooo, now I'm starting all over again. I mix up 3ml's ( for my T3"s) and start at 5%. then moving up or down by 2%. Hang in there! To speed things up, just for testing, I premix a "base" liquid (nic/pg/vg) and add flavor to that. If you have excel I put the instructions HERE

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Gummy, I start out at 2.5% and work up from there, .5% at a time. It's easy to add more, but once it's in, that's it. I usually mix a 5ml batch for testing a new flavor or mix, and yeah, adding more flavor does change the actual percentage, but it sue gets you close than guessing!

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
Gummy, I start out at 2.5% and work up from there, .5% at a time. It's easy to add more, but once it's in, that's it. I usually mix a 5ml batch for testing a new flavor or mix, and yeah, adding more flavor does change the actual percentage, but it sue gets you close than guessing!

How do you do that with steeping time and all? I was thinking of making like 3 small batches with different percentages from small to medium or small to big (like %5, %10, %15.... or %3, %6, %10). The mind set behind this was I could give each small batch a week to steep before testing it.

When you do your method of starting at %2.5 and then add %.5 at a time from there, how long do you wait before testing it each time after you add more flavoring?

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
I usually test right away using a drip atty, then, if it isn't too, too, terrible, let it steep a week and try again. It's a slow process at best, but the results, when you find the right mix is worth the effort. I do the same thing as Paddy, premix PG/VG/nicotine and it makes it a little easier, but speeding up steeping is my next big step. Can anyone say "ultrasonic cleaner"?

Reactions: Tommy-Chi

paddymx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2012
Asheboro,NC
I usually test right away using a drip atty, then, if it isn't too, too, terrible, let it steep a week and try again. It's a slow process at best, but the results, when you find the right mix is worth the effort. I do the same thing as Paddy, premix PG/VG/nicotine and it makes it a little easier, but speeding up steeping is my next big step. Can anyone say "ultrasonic cleaner"?

Awsum, I was reading in another thread about using a small cordless blender. But the one I have would require to large an amount. the next time I go to WM I thinking about looking for a small bullet type blender with a small head. After all, steeping is just to allow everything to mix aka, blend.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
I dunno, Paddy. Somehow, I think there is some sort of subtle chemistry going on with steeping. Mixing, and mixing very thoroughly, is easy to accomplish, but something else seems to happen with steeping. Whether it is oxidation related or something else, I haven't a clue, but something does happen. I've read that speed steeping can be done in a microwave or on top of a running clothes dryer. That would make me think oxidation is being accelerated as would happen in an ultrasonic cleaner even without heat. Just the friction of the molecules vibrating will produce extra heat, again leading me to oxidation as the trick. Maybe I'm way off base, I just don't know.

If you try the mini blender route, let me know what happens.

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California

I gott'cha, I have more experience steeping juice I by than juice I make... wasn't sure if something could taste super strong or weak right away, than change dramatically after a week. I'll give your way a try, because my way sure isn't working so far. Anything I've made that was good just seems to be out of luck mostly.

And I want a sonic clearer as well... it would have many many uses with my ecig stuff, not just for steeping. Cleaning attys and bottles just to name a few.

m00nshake

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2009
Greenville, NC
Not my recipe. It's on this site somewhere. It's called Flamingo and it's amazing.

8% Strawberry
7% Peach
1% Coconut extra (original recipe says 3% coconut but since I have the extra version, I used less)

If you like fruity/tropical flavors, you'll love this.

I just mixed up a batch of this. I had these flavors on hand except the peach but I had juicy peach so I hope it'll do. Thanks so much for sharing.

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
I will tell you I mixed a 30ml batch of a tobacco flavor recommended by a friend. When I tried it, right after mixing, YUCK! I let it sit for two weeks and now it is one of my all day vapes. The flavor change is amazing!

Tobacco flavours are notorious for long steep tines. I take all my tobacco flavorings and mix then 50 percent pure PG and key then sit for a while... just to kinda give them some pre-steep time and delute the strong flavor a bit.

michaelsil1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2013
Los Angeles
Not my recipe. It's on this site somewhere. It's called Flamingo and it's amazing.

8% Strawberry
7% Peach
1% Coconut extra (original recipe says 3% coconut but since I have the extra version, I used less)

If you like fruity/tropical flavors, you'll love this.

This one looks really yummy!

Is there a big difference between Peach and Juicy Peach?

Last edited:

White Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
OK folks, since I am a Wizard Labs (TFA) Fan, I will post my only All Day Vape Tobacco Recipe:

10% minimum to 15% maximum Dbl RY4
2% Tobacco Absolute
5% French Vanilla
5% Original Caramel

This is a good straight RY4 Tobacco taste and smell HOWEVER..... I love adding 4 drops of Juicy Peach per 30 ML and or 2 drops of Orange per 30 ML. Both the Peach and Orange are strong, so don't add too much at all, but it gives the RY4 a tang and slightly sweet fruit flavor and aroma. I have perfected this over several months and enjoy it every day. You can do without the Tobacco Absolute if you want, it just adds a little more tobacco hit. Enjoy!

Wabbit

1LastShot

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2012
Right behind you
This one looks really yummy!

Is there a big difference between Peach and Juicy Peach?

It is yummy! I have made it. Yes, there is a difference in Peach/Juicy Peach. I have never had the peach, but I have read that it is more of an artificial candy-like. I just have Juicy Peach, which I *highly* recommend!

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
Man, just checked out wizard labs site... that thing is kick ..., nice prices and lots of stuff. Not sure why I passed it over a wile ago when I started diy (I'm still super new to it).

Anyone know if they re-stock stuff quick? I wanna place a big order, but their out of a good amount of stuff I want... like sweetener, 10ml bottles, some candy type flavorings, ex.

Cool site though... I'm just hopping they re-up often and quickley (unlike the place I currently go to who seems to always be out of the same stuff all the time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread