Training for a Marathon??

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsu1dolfan

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2008
South Florida
So here's my story:

I have been training for a marathon off and on now for about 8 months. My marathon is in mid Janurary and i had a recent set back do to a slight tare in my calf in late October (basketball injury).
I have been vaping 11mg menthol 901 from puresmoker.com for a little over 2 weeks. Now i am not a heavy smoker by any means; few puffs at work and if its a night of drinking then i am using it more frquently.

Here's the deal, i went running two nights ago and was having some pains in my chest near the heart...i was trying to be optimistic but i am wondering if the nic content could be causing this. I mean the possiblities are endless since i was running 5 miles and trying to do 9 min miles which after a long layoff could have been stressful on its on but i feel there could be a tie to the nic, right? I have ordered some new liquids from Cash with 0 nic and i will monitor my body when vaping those. I am scheduled to run tonight and see if it was just a fluke night or not.

Do we have any athletic people here with any comments they can add....i am very curious if its the whole vaping issue or just the nic content that i am absorbing by itself.

Any questions or comments please ask!!

Thanks
Jason

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
I was having the same (without any marathon-like excercise), but ECG showed nothing, yo my hearts should be in the clear even when vaping. I do not know about your health care system apart from seeing Sicko, so I don´t know if you have the oprion to immediately go and have one done. Pains in that area can be caused by a myriad of things, but heart can be a deadly danger. Unfortunately, without actually measuring things (your things :)), no one can tell you if you are facing the danger or not.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Do you have a heart rate monitor you could use to compare with old readings?

Nicotine is a vaso constrictor but I'd be surprised if you were getting heart or circulatory problems after just a couple of weeks with 11mg juice. It is possible if you haven't built up tolerance I guess.

You are wise to switch to lower/zero nic juice. Please let us know how it goes and if you notice any change.

Keep well.

fsu1dolfan

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2008
South Florida
Do you have a heart rate monitor you could use to compare with old readings?

Nicotine is a vaso constrictor but I'd be surprised if you were getting heart or circulatory problems after just a couple of weeks with 11mg juice. It is possible if you haven't built up tolerance I guess.

You are wise to switch to lower/zero nic juice. Please let us know how it goes and if you notice any change.

Keep well.

No i don't have a heart rate monitor....if symptoms persist than i will probably invest to keep an eye on it...I was also thinking that maybe my body isn't use to the amount of nicotine that i am absorbing. I mean for the longest time i have had 2 cigs a day at work...thats it....then on the weekend if we go out or party then it could be a half to a full pack in one night. Sometimes i would go days without a smoke....I definitely feel as though i don't need the nic and hope that with the change in carts/juice i wont see these symptoms any more.

Also just for an update....yesterday i didn't vape very much and even left my ecig at work (I'm telling you running and having my heart hurt was a scary feeling). So it was raining yesterday and i had to run on the treadmill....since i don't ever run on the treadmill, i was unaware that prolonged running on it would make me dizzy....after 1 1/2 hours on it when i got off i thought i was drunk LOL. But the good news was that my heart was fine. Granted outside running may be more strenuous than a treadmill but after 90 minutes of a good pace my heart felt good.

I will continue to monitor and update this page with my results....i think I'm starting to freak out a bit since my marathon is only a month away.....26.2 miles 8-o....thats roughly 3 times what i did yesterday and i am pretty sore today LOL....

Thanks
Jason

tonyph

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2008
Derby, UK
Pay for a comprehensive medical. Its the only way of being sure. Many years ago I used to do intensive training, pains appear everywhere. A few weeks off makes a massive differance, more than you would exspect.
Just going to the doc dosnt normaly get very far. I remember going and saying I was getting specific systems after 8 miles, he laughed, pointed out that he had a waiting room full of people who struggled to walk a mile and could he get back to the people who needed him.

fsu1dolfan

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2008
South Florida
Pay for a comprehensive medical. Its the only way of being sure. Many years ago I used to do intensive training, pains appear everywhere. A few weeks off makes a massive differance, more than you would exspect.
Just going to the doc dosnt normaly get very far. I remember going and saying I was getting specific systems after 8 miles, he laughed, pointed out that he had a waiting room full of people who struggled to walk a mile and could he get back to the people who needed him.

Thats hilarious....yeah i think i rushed back into too fast....but this weekend i am planning on running for close to 2 hours....i figure the more i stay constant and run more frequently the more the body with get use to it again....but maybe i will look into getting a heart monitor

fsu1dolfan

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2008
South Florida
***Update***

So the marathon is a week away and i haven't really but e-smoking much lately....just for partying (New Years, Christmas, and the occasional weekend hangout)....I haven't seen to much difference from when i was vaping constantly so i guess thats a good thing...My heart palpitations are still slightly there but i believe its just do to the stress of running. I have completed a max of 15 miles and just yesterday did 11 miles...my friend and I are ready to go for the 26 miles as crazy hard as its gonna be....also no drinking (alcohol that is) for this week in prep so probably no vaping either...gotta be 100% for this craziness! Anyway ill let you guys know how it goes....BTW 6 weeks now of vaping and only 5-6 cigs since!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread