Status
Not open for further replies.

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
According to an article today March 2 2016 in USAToday the Transportation Department
has forbidden vaping on long flights.

E-Cig ban means no vaping for nicotine fix on flights

It might be elsewhere on the forum. i was noodling around the web looking for something else
on nicotine.
Since when do they ultimately determine airline's rules? Guess I just learned, Huh.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
According to an article today March 2 2016 in USAToday the Transportation Department
has forbidden vaping on long flights.

E-Cig ban means no vaping for nicotine fix on flights

It might be elsewhere on the forum. i was noodling around the web looking for something else
on nicotine.
Since when do they ultimately determine airline's rules? Guess I just learned, Huh.
I though this rule was implimented some time ago. I remember when you could smoke in airports and during flights. I'm more concerned about restricted access to products and excise taxes. The so-called EU parliement wants ecigs to be taxed there and a reason given is member states might have financial difficulties as people smoke less. My suggestion to them is better to tax mother's milk and the polio vaccine.

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
I though this rule was implimented some time ago. I remember when you could smoke in airports and during flights. I'm more concerned about restricted access to products and excise taxes. The so-called EU parliement wants ecigs to be taxed there and a reason given is member states might have financial difficulties as people smoke less. My suggestion to them is better to tax mother's milk and the polio vaccine.
This is always an issue. What I found remarkable was in the article, "the new rule, submitted Wednesday to the Federal Register, applies to passengers on all U.S. and foreign airlines with flights within, into or out of the country, the department said"
Say what?? How the heck can the US department of Transportation make a ruling about a foreign carrier flying out of the country? Sorry but typical Yank Bullying, trying to police the planet. If an Indonesian Airline wants to allow vaping is this to imply they must make a special ban on flights to Alaska and Hawaii?
Long time back and forth, and yes there are more important items in the news for we vapors trying to protect our individual rights.
Thanks for keeping up the battle.Cheers.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
How the heck can the US department of Transportation make a ruling about a foreign carrier flying out of the country?
Yeah, I was wondering that too. I was under the impression that US laws carried absolutely no weight aboard a foreign flagged vessel once it was out of US airspace.

Reactions: Ipster

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Yeah, I was wondering that too. I was under the impression that US laws carried absolutely no weight aboard a foreign flagged vessel once it was out of US airspace.
Oh but it is just so typically dare I say, Trump? Give a suit a little power and watch em run! tee Heee great entertainment!

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
a long time back when I smoked Nat Sherman Cigarettes and had 12+hour flight times coming up my smoke shop
(pre e-cig days now) sold me these tiny little mini chicklette looki g babies...some kinda Snus...orange, grape, mint, etc.
Great ideas. Im just enough of a rebel that Id try to stealth vape...tee hee.
Then again Im sure it depends on where Im going to, since the last thing on planet earth I'd risk would be an
arrest as a Caucasian persuasion being in a location like Jakarta or Lagos! :unsure:

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
Say what?? How the heck can the US department of Transportation make a ruling about a foreign carrier flying out of the country? Sorry but typical Yank Bullying, trying to police the planet. If an Indonesian Airline wants to allow Vaping is this to imply they must make a special ban on flights to Alaska and Hawaii?

Yes, as long as their over US airspace. US carriers would abide by their laws over their airspace too. Not bullying at all, it's pretty much always been that way, and is mostly common sense.

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
Most US airlines had already banned it, as had at least a few non-US airlines. I know they've been specifically banned for in-flight use on American Airlines for several years, and seem to recall Qantas and BA had too when I flew them a few years ago. This just formalizes a policy that's already been in effect anyway.

I recall when US airlines still allowed for smoking on international flights, even after banning it on domestic flights. In 1993, I flew on United to Amsterdam on the cusp of the airline banning smoking on all flights. By that I mean, on my outbound flight from the US, smoking was allowed, but smoking had been banned carrier-wide on the return flight back from Amsterdam. Americans just dealt with it, but the Dutch/European travelers where NOT happy. One older Dutch lady was pretty livid she couldn't smoke; she wasn't aware of the policy change, and threw a fit with the cabin crew, claiming it was America trying to control the world's behavior, and she'd never fly another US-based airline again if it meant she couldn't smoke.

Frankly, I smoked at the time, but wasn't a big airline smoker... smoking at altitude made me light-headed and gave me a headache anyway.

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
I recall when US airlines still allowed for smoking on international flights, even after banning it on domestic flights. In 1993, I flew on United to Amsterdam on the cusp of the airline banning smoking on all flights. By that I mean, on my outbound flight from the US, smoking was allowed, but smoking had been banned carrier-wide on the return flight back from Amsterdam.

Just an FYI, smoking wasn't banned on international flights until 2000.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
My suggestion to them is better to tax mother's milk and the polio vaccine.
Without getting into the whole topic of taxing the population for this or that...
Or spending that tax money on this or that...

Applying a sin tax to a safer alternative is absolutely absurd.
There are so many things wrong with that concept that it defies gravity.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Without getting into the whole topic of taxing the population for this or that...
Or spending that tax money on this or that...

Applying a sin tax to a safer alternative is absolutely absurd.
There are so many things wrong with that concept that it defies gravity.
Apparently EU governors are openly saying that a tax on ecigs is needed because fewer people are smoking. Drug dealers are ruthless. That's not news.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The US DOT final rule banning vaping on airlines is at
Regulations.gov

On pages 14 and 15, our comments opposing the ban were cited.

Then on page 19, DOT absurdly wrote
"While Section 41706 does not define 'smoking," nothing in the text of section 41706 suggests that the definition of "smoking" should be limited to the combustion of traditional tobacco products."

With that logic, DOT could change the definition of "smoking" to include the use of cellphones, laptops, chewing gum, chewing tobacco, eating, drinking, reading a newspaper or even talking.

DOT's press release is at
U.S. Department of Transportation Explicitly Bans the Use of Electronic Cigarettes on Commercial Flights

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
With that logic, DOT could change the definition of "smoking" to include the use of cellphones, laptops, chewing gum, chewing tobacco, eating, drinking, reading a newspaper or even talking.
With that logic...
Being employed by the DOT could be considered "smoking" as well.
:laugh:

Wait, that's not funny.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The US DOT final rule banning vaping on airlines is at
Regulations.gov

On pages 14 and 15, our comments opposing the ban were cited.

Then on page 19, DOT absurdly wrote
"While Section 41706 does not define 'smoking," nothing in the text of section 41706 suggests that the definition of "smoking" should be limited to the combustion of traditional tobacco products."

DOT's press release is at
U.S. Department of Transportation Explicitly Bans the Use of Electronic Cigarettes on Commercial Flights
It's chest beating and grandstanding. Picking on people tryiing to quit smokinng is easier than fighting terrorists or reducing the national debt.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
I flew Emirates a couple of weeks ago. Their 'welcome aboard / safety' thingy specifically mentioned No Smoking, including electronic cigarettes.

I opted for leaving all vaping gear at home and picked up a few tins of Snus at the duty-free. Too much gear/stuff/liquids and all that to lug around. Not to mention potential customs issues or how - even if I ran out of liquids or had any confiscated/lost or such - all the vape gear would still weigh something and have to fit somewhere.

Reactions: nicnik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread