The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Traveling to Cancun Mexico from US

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by westhc, Feb 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. westhc

westhc Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I am flying into Cancun from the US in 2 weeks. Any issues from Mexican customs arriving or security departing Cancun?
    Everything will be in my carry on. 3 small mods, batteries separate in a case, 4 tanks, coils, charging cords, eliquid.

I went through Mexico City twice last year but just in transit and had no problems. I think it is illegal to import for sale but this is personal use.

I know I won't have issues departing/arriving the US - have done that many times.

Thanks for any insights.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bahamaman

Bahamaman Full Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I've been through that airport a half dozen times with vape gear.

Best scenario: you get a green light. Home free!

If you get the dreaded red light, I have heard stories going both ways. A couple of times the gear was confiscated, sometimes not. The problem, from what I've read, is that importing vape gear isn't lawful, but vaping is.

• Like Like x 1
  3. retired1

retired1 Administrator Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
  4. nelsonm64

nelsonm64 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 27, 2013
    Kelowna, B.C.
    in 2 weeks i'll be at the Cancun airport aswell. I just pray I get a "green" light!!!! i'm taking cheap gear but still.... 2 weeks without my vape gear is kinda scary if you know what I meen...

• Like Like x 2
  5. uab9253

uab9253 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 27, 2014
    Salisbury MD
    I went last year and had no issues. Had juice and hardware in my carry on and extra juice in my checked bags. No questions and no problems.

• Like Like x 1
  6. westhc

Did you get the "green" light arriving?

I leave Friday and will report back in a few weeks on my experience.

7. nelsonm64

Apr 27, 2013
    Kelowna, B.C.
    I leave a week from today, i'll also report back how it went....

8. tazzle

tazzle Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 5, 2014
    Athens, Greece
    I've added this to my "watched" threads just to see how it turns out; please do let us know! I would be surprised if there was trouble, because most countries with vaping bans that rely to any degree on tourism / business travel apparently don't much care what you bring just for your own use. On the other hand, we've seen so much wacky stuff from US Customs and Border Control lately, maybe all NA border stuff might be turning weirder / more authoritarian.

The last time I traveled internationally, I was really just mostly worried about US TSA, and while they certainly weren't a barrel of fun, at least they didn't give [edited] about my vaping stuff. Still, I only brought cheap(er) things that I could throw away without crying. Tougher situation if you can't buy replacements once you're at the destination, obvs. Good luck! I bet it will go fine.

• Like Like x 1
  9. westhc

I had the green light going through customs in Cancun so no problems for me. Have no idea what might have happened if the red light and search had come up. Will be flying out of Cancun this weekend and don't expect any problems. I know there are no issues returning through US customs. Have done that many times.

10. smacuser

smacuser Vapid Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Augustine, FL
    Going through Cancun to Tulum on the 13th. I'm taking 2-3 mods, 6 batts and as much juice that'll fit in a Freedom bag.

Leaving the charger at home because I doubt I will go though more batts in a week than usual; all carry on, all on top of my bag.

11. Buzzed Vaper

Buzzed Vaper Registered Supplier

Feb 4, 2017
    I took a [edited] pen down there with no issues but the thing was tiny...

12. westhc

But did you get the "green light" entering Mexico? It would probably help travelers to know if there are any issues if you get the random "red light" where your bags are searched. I had green, which is limited to the bags going through x-ray, entering through Cancun and through Chetumal so no search, no issues.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jackson.julia

jackson.julia New Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Hey guys, thanks for the useful info! I hope I'm gonna get the "green light" too! :) Good day guys!

14. smacuser

smacuser Vapid Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Augustine, FL
    Green light here, too.

15. GreenFord

GreenFord Full Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Left DFW on 4-13. I had 2 Endura T22 batteries and 1 half filled tank in my carry on vape case. I had 5 tanks in pill bottles and my juice in checked baggage. TSA had no problem with the carry on. Landed in Cancun and no problems. Left Cancun 4-18 and no problems. Landed at DFW and no problems. Be sure and carry your tanks in a pill bottle because they will leak, in your carry on and in checked baggage.

16. nelsonm64

Apr 27, 2013
    Kelowna, B.C.
    I had no issues in Cancun recently. however, I got green lights both ways...

17. Blue73

Blue73 Full Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Houston, TX
    In March I traveled to Cozumel with my family for a week's of vacation. We vacation in Mexico twice a year, and I have been carrying my vape gear for the past 4 years. Every time we got the green light. Except this last time, we got red. I was carrying two mods and tanks, 4 RBAs, 6 coils, cotton, tools, and about a dozen 60ml bottles of diy juice (I tend to overpack the juice, just in case). The customs agent opened up every suitcase, did a cursory look/feel, zipped everything up, and sent us on our way. 30 seconds, maybe.

18. Blue73

Blue73 Full Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Oh, I have to add that there has been confusion regarding boarding flights from Mexico back to the US. Up until recently, Mexico required all lithium batteries to be in your checked luggage, and the FAA recently requires them to be in carry-on only. This created some confusion, so when we were headed back, I was concerned that they may confiscate my 18650's. They didn't take my batteries, but they took a small Phillips screwdriver; the same screwdriver that I have taken thru TSA checkpoints for years. Go figure.

19. chuck333

chuck333 Senior Member ECF Veteran

There may be local vape shops but it's been my experience that the vape gear in Mexico is triple what you would pay in Canada or the U.S. and the juice is horrid at best. If you carry your machine in your pocket you're likely not going to get it confiscated no matter what colour light you get. They aren't going to body-search you and there's no such thing as nicotine sniffing dogs. You can put your juice in another toiletry bottle, say hand cream or even a shampoo bottle and nobody would know the difference. If they ask, I might tell, because lying can get you in more trouble than it's worth but they probably won't ask anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.