Status
Not open for further replies.

westhc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA
Just read in another thread about the stringent vape ban in Thailand. Luckily I decided not to include Thailand in my fall trip itinerary.

I will be traveling to Vietnam and Cambodia with a 10 hour layover in Hong Kong (plan to do a quick day trip). Any know restrictions in those countries/city that I may have missed?

I the past few years I have traveled with my gear to India, New Zealand, England, and Mexico with no problems.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Just read in another thread about the stringent vape ban in Thailand. Luckily I decided not to include Thailand in my fall trip itinerary.

I will be traveling to Vietnam and Cambodia with a 10 hour layover in Hong Kong (plan to do a quick day trip). Any know restrictions in those countries/city that I may have missed?

I the past few years I have traveled with my gear to India, New Zealand, England, and Mexico with no problems.
http://www.tobaccoasia.com/features/asia-e-cig-regulations-confusion-uncertainty/ Asia does not seem like a good travel destination for vapers.

Reactions: stols001

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014

Asia’s E-Cig Regulations: Confusion & Uncertainty - Tobacco Asia Asia does not seem like a good travel destination for vapers.

westhc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2013

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Thanks for the article. Looks like it was written in March 2016.
Any one know if anything has changed or have you visited Cambodia or Vietnam recently?
Even in the US, making a law is one thing, enforcing it is another. Chances are enforcement is lax but selective. Laws like this are tailor made for corruption. Are you feeling lucky?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have had such mad luck when I needed it.... I heard on the radio one time that the average American adult commits one felony a day. I like to think that early in my teen years, a local church (not that I attended mind you) decided to donate me all their free felonies since they were all law abiding citizens. :)

Now, I donate my felonies also, at least I try. I did get caught speeding once at 21 miles over the speed limit, which was a felony (I did not realize and the cop did, and rather nicely knocked my speed down to 19 miles over the speed limit, and this is one of those "fast" roads, but it was way too late at night to go that fast really, in the sense of spotting cops...) But, I find myself feeling less and less "lucky" or perhaps, more and more willing to think, "This isn't worth it."

So, I err on being unlucky, and do my best to not cause chaos. I fail frequently, but at least I'm not busting out my felony playing cards and spending them any more... On purpose. :)

Anna

Yaroon

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2017
Thanks for the article. Looks like it was written in March 2016.
Any one know if anything has changed or have you visited Cambodia or Vietnam recently?

A few months ago I traveled to Vietnam by air, went to Cambodia by road (bus), back to Vietnam by road and flew back to Europe.

I also had Thailand in my planning but due to lack of time I skipped the visit
When it comes to Thailand I would consider to avoid bringing in your gear. I lived in Thailand for a couple of years before I started vaping and if there truly is a law in place that prohibits vaping then I would not take the risk...you don't want to use your holiday cash for bribing the Men in Brown

I brought a rx200 with tank / dripper to VN and Cambodia and had 0 issues in both countries. Used it on the streets and in nightclubs / (rooftop)lounges where smoking was permitted.
No issues at airport / customs
Vaping is I guess not that widely known by all locals so I did not blow the massive ones in public all the time. Quite a few youngsters approached me to check out my gear when I did make the place cloudy, which was basically all the time while enjoying the nightlife.

The only disappointment was that there are not that many shops around to buy your juice in case you need like what I've seen in the Philippines, I however traveled with 1 liter so I was fully prepped the 2 weeks I was there.
If you visit cities like HCM then you might come across Asian tourists who vape as well

1 year ago I went to Philipines and I had the same doubts/questions like what you are having. When I arrived in Manila I was quite shocked to see the number of people blowing bigger clouds than I was able to at that time :D
That plAce has by far more noticeable vapers than even my own country

Go and enjoy :)

Last edited:

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
Ok, so this trip is probably over. but I was recently in all of the above mentioned countries.

Never had any problems vaping on the street. Some people looked at me and smiled... but had no issues with it.

AS for THAILAND... That is the EASIEST place to Vape. They sell Vape gear Openly all over the streets. More places there to get stuff than anywhere else. Mind all the stuff is priced at 3 times the amount... but still. If there is any problems with the police take them down a street and look at all the vape gear. Vaping has EXPLODED there. Haha. I saw one other person vaping, ive never had issue with it. Mind, in vietnam and cambodia... I vaped on the street. thailand, didnt as much as i did a bit less walking. but i still vaped a bit on the streets... in businesses all good.

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)

I get confused about what I read re:Thailand vs. what I see there and from others.

• Agree

westhc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2013
Back from my trip. Flew into Ho Chi MInh City, Vietnam(Saigon) and back from Siem Reap, Cambodia, transiting through Hong Kong both ways. Absolutely no problem or questions asked. I only saw 3-4 vapers on the entire trip. Did not look for any shops, carried all I needed.

Chemical Bromance

Like a Ninja!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2016
Fantasy Island
Ok, so this trip is probably over. but I was recently in all of the above mentioned countries.

Never had any problems vaping on the street. Some people looked at me and smiled... but had no issues with it.

AS for THAILAND... That is the EASIEST place to Vape. They sell Vape gear Openly all over the streets. More places there to get stuff than anywhere else. Mind all the stuff is priced at 3 times the amount... but still. If there is any problems with the police take them down a street and look at all the vape gear. Vaping has EXPLODED there. Haha. I saw one other person vaping, ive never had issue with it. Mind, in vietnam and cambodia... I vaped on the street. thailand, didnt as much as i did a bit less walking. but i still vaped a bit on the streets... in businesses all good.

Really? I was in BKK just under a year ago and I couldn't find any vape gear at the night markets and any of the shops. Only found one shop in MBK that was selling overpriced vape gear from Malaysia.
Maybe BKK is overdue for a visit from @Chemical Bromance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread