Travelling to the USA (California mainly) for tourism - a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

McAldo

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2012
London
Hi everybody,

I have not been on this forum, or indeed any vaping forum, for quite a few years now, but I thought this might be the right place to ask for some advice from US vapers.
Over the next months I will be visiting relatives in the US for a few weeks and do some tourism as well, mainly in California (LA and perhaps a quick trip to San Francisco).
I live in the UK and vaping here is not a problem, at least outdoor, but I understand legislation in California is more strict, and in San Francisco perhaps even stricter.
I have no intention to vape indoor anywhere but for private houses and I would like to avoid putting myself in trouble unwittingly.

In particular, I was wondering:
1) Airports: provided I carry my gear and batteries in my hand luggage, is there any local restriction regarding the amount of eliquid, nicotine content or battery size?
2) Parks, beaches and similar. Is vaping generally ok? Are they obliged to put signs explicitly forbidding vaping or is it better to assume that it is forbidden?
3) Walking on the street: Is it ok to vape openly on the walkboard? I understand it is not uncommon for buildings to have signs forbidding smoking/vaping within X meters from the building. I understand they do not want it to happen in front of their doors and windows, but does this apply to public walkways adjacent to the building too?
4) Private cars: is vaping in a private or rented car potentially illegal in some places? For instance, could a policeman pull me over for vaping in a rented car with my kid present?
5) Hotel rooms: is vaping in your room generally fine?
6) Purchasing: I understand that for instance San Francisco banned sales of vaping products entirely. In the past, I have ordered some US juices I liked and I might want to order some from other states and have them delivered to my hotel. I assume this is fine as it is not a purchase from a company based in California?

Sorry if some of my questions are a bit clueless and thanks for any advice!

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
1) Just the normal restrictions on liquids. No bottles bigger than 100ml, and only as many as will fit in a single quart-sized transparent ziplock bag (along with whatever other liquids you're bringing in carry-on). If you need to bring more liquid than that on a plane, put it in your checked baggage.

2) That depends on the locality. Personally, I would assume it's allowed unless I see a sign that forbids it.

3) See 2.

4) Not that I'm aware of.

5) Depends on the hotel. I vape in hotel room regardless of their rules, but I don't cloud up the room enough to set off the smoke detectors, and use I liquids with minimal smell.

6) IIRC, California now has a tax on vape products. You'll have to check with the individual vendors to see if they're willing to ship to your location.

In general, you're not going to get arrested for vaping, and won't get hassled for it if you're not obnoxious about it.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I live in San Francisco. Vaping is covered the same as smoking and considered the same thing.

I vape outside on the street all the time, it isn't an issue. People also smoke on the street without running into problems. Hotels that I know of all have no smoking inside even room but most have outdoor area for smoking/vaping. A lot of coffee shops, small cafes have outdoor tables, I have done so but a lot of people smoke/vape at these tables.

All buildings have signs saying smoking only allowed at curb or 25 feet from entrance. Posted because they are required to do so.

As stated by Rossum, if it isn't posted it should be okay

The vape tax is at the distributor level so should already be in the cost other than the state sales tax

• Informative
Reactions: Rossum

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
In the nicer climates, many bars/pubs, cafes have developed outdoor areas to bring in the smoking/vaping crowd.

Often, there are ordinances that prevent smoking/vaping within...5-7m of a business's door, but you can on the businesses property if they permit it. Hence the outdoor seating area on the property.

That is really the big restriction. That and sales. Should be fine.

Search the internet for vape shops at your destinations.

Good luck in California.

Reactions: Rossum
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread