Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Swedish snus takes some getting used to, but it works. Give it some time. If a portion feels too strong, take it out of your mouth and store it in the little storage pocket on top of your can for later use. It will be fine.

Keep us posted. If the flavors are too much for you, you can always try Camel or Marlboro snus, they are much sweeter. It's not really about the taste but about how it works. :) Don't give up too early.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
I think General Mini Mint is a better first choice. It's dry and smaller. I can't do portions. I bought some to try and I cut them in half long ways and fold a piece of tea bag around them like an envelope. It works. I still prefer the dry though.

I have concerns about my gums and teeth too so I don't use but 1-2 a day when the ecig doesn't cut it. I never had problems with my gums until I quit smoking. Go figure.

AllCoExPat

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2010
Elkton, MD
Snus agitated my gums like crazy for the first week or two. Only thing I could do was keep moving it around to different spots when one got beaten up too much. After that initial phase, my portions go pretty exclusively to my upper left, just slightly off center. If the forums have taught me anything, snus is a very personal knd of habit.

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
I have concerns about my gums and teeth too so I don't use but 1-2 a day when the ecig doesn't cut it. I never had problems with my gums until I quit smoking. Go figure.

Studies for Swedish snus on the effects on gums and teeth (not many that I've found, since most look at general health, cardio disease and cancers) show no associated problems with gum disease or tooth decay, unlike studies on dip/chew, which are linked to sugars and high TSNA's. Gum irritation is normally caused by salt content and mint oils used. Overall, Swedish snus' only negative on health is that it's addicting due to the nicotine.

jamesam1243

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2010
Midland Michigan
20:13 trying snus general white portion (not sprayed with extra tobacco juice), i may be able to live with this

i guess to avoid the gum irritation i should avoid "mint" then, REF: TWISTED VICTOR

i tried a general mint at the tobacco shop and got dizzy in the parking lot so the "white portion" would seem my best option, no?

James ( 90 days using ecigs ) :)

August 01 smoked 01 cigs, 39 less than my usual 40 cigs a day 3122 cigarettes not smoked in 90 days by using Stonewall, Joye 510, Hello 016, Ken's BoxMod, MadVapes 2xAA Box Mod, WetBox Vaporizer (ecig) and 19 bottles of ejuice partially used , $0.28 per cig X 3122 Cigs = $874.16 diverted from cigarettes to Vaporizer (ecig). OMG I have spent over $1671.51 in 74 days on this stuff but bare in mind that my old cigarette cost was $330 a month and i have $790 in supplies so $880 in hardware and consumed ejuice

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Studies for Swedish snus on the effects on gums and teeth (not many that I've found, since most look at general health, cardio disease and cancers) show no associated problems with gum disease or tooth decay, unlike studies on dip/chew, which are linked to sugars and high TSNA's. Gum irritation is normally caused by salt content and mint oils used. Overall, Swedish snus' only negative on health is that it's addicting due to the nicotine.

TV, I only use mint (sometimes eucalyptus and licorice) because I just don't care for tobacco flavors and never had any issues whatsoever. But I use white mini portions. They are drier and and less salty/aggressive than regular portions. James, did you get any white portions?

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Katya

i have one can of General white portions, 24 pouches

the mini cans were smaller, do minis cost more per ounces delivered? if not i may go back and get a mini if they have "white". the cost was the same, $4.49 per can here in Midland, Michigan

James

Yes. The price is the same even though you get half the nic. Buying regular portions is a better deal. Go figure. Same thing with Snonewalls and Ariva. Stonewalls are 4 mg and cost the same as 1.5 mg Ariva. Don't ask me.

Do as 42109 does: I can't do portions. I bought some to try and I cut them in half long ways and fold a piece of tea bag around them like an envelope. It works. I still prefer the dry though.

I do that sometimes with my Thunder Frost minis (8 mg). A tiny piece of a teabag works great. And makes it a white portion. ;) Snus is very forgiving. Just play with it and find what works for you. You can't ruin snus. I dunk it in my coffee. I put it in the fridge with a slice of apple or a slice of orange for a day to remoisten and add flavor. Use your imagination.

Regular portions are sprayed with tobacco juice for faster delivery. They are too much for me.

gemini2281

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Walnut Ridge, Arkansas
2 hours would be the max for a white portion. I normally got about an hour to and hour and a half from a white. The white minis would give me about 45 minutes to an hour.

Of course, I was a habitual "biter." Every little bit I would bite the portion to get the juices flowing. Didn't last nearly as long when I did that. lol

gemini2281

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Walnut Ridge, Arkansas
I can't remember the name of the portions now but there was one that I absolutely LOVED the flavor of but it was just way too strong. I simply ran it under the tap for a few seconds and then squeezed it out. This mellowed the strength out quite a bit and I still got all of the flavor of the portion. They obviously didn't last as long either but it was worth it.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana

I'm not attacking snus TV. My gums started receding shortly after the day I started ecigs and quit smoking. I never had a problem in 35 years of heavy smoking. Looking back, I probably should have walked away from ecigs a year ago. I was so happy to not be smoking that I ignored everything else, and was so busy exploring and shopping and modding I didn't think about using it to try to quit all together.:p

I had been following the "Are we getting it?" thread last xmas when a family crisis fell on top of my annual holiday anxiety. I started exploring snus but wound up supplementing with a few analogs too...

Anyway, I got a white patch on my upper gum pretty quick, and yes I have read that they go away, and it did when I stopped the snus. But soon I was smoking a whole pack some days, then stains on my teeth, a little crackle in my chest at night, ashes, smell, butts, $$$..... Quit them twice in the spring. Then the dentist found the pockets. They had not measured them since just before I quit smoking last April.

So now I'm still using the ecig and trying straight VG to try to shake the brain fog like Vaporer recommended on a thread. Using a snus or stonewall when I'm about to go buy a pack to make my brain work.

The gum issues may be from sucking so damn much trying to get auto batteries work! I parked those too. I just need to sort it out. Whatever the cause, I am pretty sure snus won't help matters. That doesn't mean I'm not going to use it.

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
I'm not attacking snus TV.

Mercy 42109, I hope I didn't give the impression that I thought you were. Sorry :oops:. I just wanted to take the opportunity to relay what I've found. My gums are sensitive to the mint oils. One of my favorites is Thunder Frosted, but I can't use it all day anymore or my gums eventually get raw. Vaporer uses Frosted all the time and it doesn't seem to bother him. And the General Mints make my teeth hurt. I guess I'm just a sensitive person :cry: . Anyhoo, I apologize if I didn't come off as intended. If the hair on my back had been raised I'd made sure it was obvious :). So please forgive my earlier directness or I'll hold my breath 'til I pass out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread