The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

tripple/quad 18650 vs dual 21700

Discussion in 'APV and Mods Discussion' started by drunky, Feb 17, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. drunky

drunky Full Member Verified Member

Jul 19, 2016
    I hate taking extra batteries to work with me and considered a quad 18650 because I have a ton of batteries, but now I'm thinking a dual 21700 might have the same life.

anyone running a dual 21700 that could comment? i run a TFV8 at 110 watts.

2. bombastinator

bombastinator Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    My experience is that a “big” battery has about half again the life of an 18650, so 2 big ones should be about equal to three “regular” ones. It’s s partially subject to what wattage you vape at etc.. probably going to have to test it. I strongly suspect the quad will win though.

3. drunky

Jul 19, 2016
    ok i'll see if i can find a quad mod. Any of them quads you would recommend?

4. entropy1049

entropy1049 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

If you don’t mind a Mech the Hammer of God v3 is a mighty fine mod. Four cells, parallel/series, I hit mine hard all day on a single set of batteries and seldom pull them below ~3.7V. There is also a modification to make the box a quad parallel should you prefer.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    wait, you NORMLLY run it quad series?! I think my lungs just flinched.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    there used to be a smok mod that would do both 2 and 4 cell. dunno whether its any good or not though.

7. Northernshrink

Northernshrink Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 21, 2012
    Bracebridge Ont Canada
  8. entropy1049

:D
    I run mine in the normal parallel/series mode. There is a modification easily made to the baseplate to change the config to full parallel, but I prefer the parallel/series configuration as it was manufactured.

9. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Aha! PARALLEL/series mode! That sounds much less insane :thumb:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. entropy1049

Did lol a bit at the idea of vaping at 1.6ish kilowatts...:lol:

11. drunky

Jul 19, 2016
    That mod looks pretty awesome! I will have to check it out. What are the downsides to a mech mod?

I have a rx2/3 and I run it with 3 batteries and it will last most of the day, but the issue I have with it is by lunch time when the batteries are at 50-60% life it will only fire at 60-70 watts. I would like something that can run 110 watts all day without changing batteries. I think it may only be possible with the 21700 batteries.

12. Northernshrink

Northernshrink Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 21, 2012
    Bracebridge Ont Canada
    Didn’t realize you we’re running so high I’m usually in the low 20’s so that would definitely make a huge difference.

13. dc99

dc99 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 17, 2014
    nc,usa
    Smok GX350. Quad battery

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. entropy1049

Not so much a downside of the mech as much as one major advantage of a regulated mod. With regulated, the mod will attempt to pull a consistent current from your cells to deliver the same power and adjust its current draw to the cell voltage as it drops. With a mech, we build at a target resistance, and power will gradually decrease at a rate determined by the cells voltage as it diminishes. I personally don’t notice a huge difference in vape quality dropping off as my cells discharge in a mech, but I try to not pull my cells down very far either, like not below about 3.6.

Also, some would argue regulated devices are safer as most have circuit protections so they shouldn’t overdraw their cells. I would argue that if you’re relying on your mod to keep you safe, you’re doing it wrong. If your solid on circuit theory and battery safety, you apply these safeguards into your usage of your mech device, and you don’t miss a feature that we shouldn’t be placing too much faith in anyway. I feel safer building with a substantial safety margin in my Ohms Law equation than I do relying on circuitry of unknown origin.

15. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Here's a Mod for someone that is into Multi-Battery Devices. Or someone that wants to drive their Laptop while on the go.

LOL.

16. entropy1049

“This one goes to 11”.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. drunky

Jul 19, 2016
    totally shifting gears, perhaps a salt juice device like a CB-60 would be better?? less hits needed at higher nicotine?? Battery could last all day?? I don't mind mouth to lung as long as it has flavor and doesn't kill my throat.

I got into sub ohm so i could get the nicotine i needed in a 6mg juice because 18mg is just harsh and doesn't have the flavor. I'm not necessarily chasing clouds, honestly wife hates it as do vaping friends who are still using nautilus tanks

18. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    They can be pretty significant, depending on what features the mod has.

Can you get ,say,10mg?

19. drunky

Jul 19, 2016
    thinking maybe a Wisemec CB-60 and run 35mg nic level. Reviews seem to say the battery will last a day or two at 10-15watts and with high nic level should use less juice. Could be something to think about.

20. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    The OP might be interested in this thread.

21700 batteries will replace 18650 in electrical cigarette industry!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.