Status
Not open for further replies.

built4feel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
South Central PA, USA
Hi new friends im a new haleon vaper, as of three weeks ago. I've been going steady, only had to replace one coil...I finished a 7ml of Tribeca, cleaned, refilled with midnight apple and by the end of that fill I detected a burnt taste...Took it apart and the wick was quite burnt. So I ended up cleaning the tank and decided to use a new coil, and switch back to tribeca, a new bottle. I waited about an hour after cleaning, and everything seemed dry, although the midnight apple flavor seemed to linger in the tank..

My problem is that is tasted like very dry/nasty vapor, with this new coil. I tried loosening the center post/drip tip countless times with the same result. I would occasionally get a semi-good vape, but nothing like my first time trying this flavor. I ended up cleaning it out again, thinking the midnight apple was still gooking up the connections somehow. The clean was better, but the apple scent still lingers. Inspected the coil, seemed perfectly OK to my noob eyes: the coil wraps not touching the sidesb of the head...wicks good... SO I refilled with tribeca again...SAME results. Wasted pretty much 6ml of juice now :mad:

So now im sitting here after a more thorough cleaning: tank soaked in alcohol for about 20 minutes and almost boiling water rinse and air-dry overnight. Still smells like apple a little. Coils still look fine. I did that test thing with the tank(no head) on the battery, and Im able to push the button on without it blinking 5 times, same goes for when I stick on the heads. I'm just not sure what to do now. I have extra coils and I have two new tanks coming tomorrow. I think Im just gonna put new coil on and fill with apple, but kinda wanna get to the bottom of this dud coil. Any ideas? :confused:

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Could be a number of things. The coil may be twisted too tight around the wick and liquid may not be getting through it. The coil may actually be lower ohm than it should be and simply cooking the liquids. It may have a short. Sometimes you just get a bad coil.

And as an FYI.....

Your Halo Triton coils are identical in every way to Kanger T2 coils. You can save about $7 per pack of five by buying the Kanger coils instead, and the Kanger coils are a LOT easier to find. You can only buy Halo coils from Halo but your local B&M may carry the Kanger T2 coils.

built4feel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
South Central PA, USA
Thanks for your reply. That makes me feel a little better, knowing it might be a bad coil. Im using the VV battery and 2.6-2.8 ohm coils, and havent went above 4V. Also, thanks for the tip, I haven't shopped around locally yet but will soon, could end up saving me a lot!

I think Im gonna use a new coil then. Will report back later.

built4feel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
South Central PA, USA
New coil works good.. taste is a lil off but definitely way clearer than with the old coil and tribeca in this tank... I'm using my vv right now at 4.3v. Before I was using my standard 650ma mostly...maybe I wasn't giving it enough volts to taste a good flavor with these higher ohm coils I'm not used to with the tribeca flavor? I just tried this tank on my 650 and tastes great...
Don't really wanna say they sent me a dud but it seems that way. Don't wanna test it again anyway and waste all that precious juice lol.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
New coil works good.. taste is a lil off but definitely way clearer than with the old coil and tribeca in this tank... I'm using my vv right now at 4.3v. Before I was using my standard 650ma mostly...maybe I wasn't giving it enough volts to taste a good flavor with these higher ohm coils I'm not used to with the tribeca flavor? I just tried this tank on my 650 and tastes great...
Don't really wanna say they sent me a dud but it seems that way. Don't wanna test it again anyway and waste all that precious juice lol.

Different juices require different settings, higher or lower. There is a Halo sub-forum you can look through now with less than 5 posts, and post to after you have your 5 posts on ECF. Lots of great help and info there. According to DaveOno, who posts a lot there, the regular Triton batteries run at a steady 3.7 volts after the initial drop-off that happens soon after a fresh charge. Maybe lowering your volts will help with Tribeca. I have a Triton 650 and moved to variable (iTaste MVP 2.0) to be able to adjust for the juices that need it.

The stronger Halo juices will linger on the wicks no matter how long you soak. Although a 24 hour soak in cheap vodka and a rinse after can help. Some juices like Voodoo and Belgian Cocoa need more frequent cleaning, because they gunk up the coils faster.

Dry, burnt taste can be from too high a power setting. And once a coil and wick is burnt like that, even a little, you have to replace it. Best to start low and slowly move up until you find the sweet spot for the juice.

Good luck!

Last edited:

built4feel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
South Central PA, USA
Thanks lawaters for your help. I have gotten a lot of questions answered from browsing the halo subforum in the past few weeks. I'm just glad to have this info and people sharing their experience.
I have belgian and tiki but want to pick up some more coils before I try them now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread