Triton RTA head keeps shorting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circa Survivor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2014
Omaha, NE
No matter how I build the Triton rta, anytime I get the coil settled in there and put it together, I test fire it and immediately one of the legs glows super hot then sometimes the leg just snaps. Coil isn't touching the sides of the head, and I twisted the leads off so they're as short as can be. What the hell is going on with this thing?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
What's the coil build? How many wraps and what diameter? Once it glows, release the fire button. Don't let it glow, just pump the fire button slowly to let it glow and cool down. The only reason you dry burn a new cool is to burn off contaminants and anneal the wire. Once you see an even red glow, release the fire button and clamp it lightly with tweezers to compress.

Circa Survivor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2014
Omaha, NE
2.5 with 5 wraps. I do try to pulse it, but the only thing that will glow for a fraction of a second is one of the legs, no matter how many times i pulse it and let it cool. There has to be a short or something somewhere. I just can't get it to work right. I've rebuilt it several times, making sure everything is tight and the coil isn't touching any of the sides.

Circa Survivor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2014
Omaha, NE
While their example is to build a horizontal coil, I found the only way not to get shorting was to go Vert!

Hmmm... maybe I'll have to try that. Could be a problem with the actual head itself, I dunno. I do have an extra one, so maybe I'll build on that and see if I get the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread