Trogs SCREWDRIVER REVIEW by Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
I tried it with 901 before.. I drilled a hole on the bottom. Certainly it hold the liquid a lot better and used the filler very well with much improved air flow... but I had an issue the juice dripping out. Maybe the hole I made was too big. (I have 2-piece 901 carts only, so I drilled on the bottom of that brown piece).

Anyhow glad to hear you've got a much better result out of it. :)

I think it only works with the one piece carts. I didn't know there were two piece 901 carts.

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA
I think it only works with the one piece carts. I didn't know there were two piece 901 carts.

Yeah, it does seem that way. Actually I've never seen a 1 piece cart except from a picture.

I also tried out a Tbag. for a little while, it was working alright - but then it got all gunked down. with no real spring to bounce back like old old atomizer fillers.

I tried another time with even smaller drill, while a little better, still oozing out, and easily flooding my 901 cart.

Then I also tried a straw method with 901. I had very small aluminum pipe, and it seemed to hold liquid a little better - but I wasn't too satisfied with result. It somehow felt like the hard pipe was in the way of atomizer wick and the filler itself. (and it made a little dent on my attomizer wick.)

After being frustrated myself, I just poped a fresh pre-filled cart, and it was working the best. It seem like my issue is most likely about the filler itself. Off to find some fluval (fish tank stuff) or pillow filler from my local target this weekend.. and I'll see how that will go. :)

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA
I just got my 5 901 atomizers from MVS.. and they came with 1 piece mouth pieces, but no fillers. I took some poly filling from my daughter's cushion (sorry, my baby) filled it roughly with it and had a vape... and for entire day +, it's working quite well. (and didn't even have to put some hole in there). Still needs to top off rather often, but still a little better than what it used to be... and one thing that I noticed that it's got significantly less juice leak, thanks to it's newer design on the mouthpiece cap. (much deeper insert).

Also, 1 diameter design of the actual filler holder is working much better. 2 piece one, the top was at least 2times wider than the bottom, so when the filler was losing its bouncyness, it was creating a lot of void spaces all around the top, and IMO, resulting more liquid leakage through the air intake. I really like these 1 piece cartridge... and will try to find more and order. :)

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
05252009208.jpg

05252009210.jpg

The one on the left is a 4075 cart, the one on the right is a 901 cart.

TW does not sell 901's. TW sells 4075's but calls them 901's.

901's have a pointed bridge in the atomizer and SLB stamped into the battery where it connects to the atomizer.

4075's have a lower rounded bridge in the atomizer.

901 atomizers do not glow when they are activated. 4075 atomizers glow when they are activated.

DW

Rexa

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
New York City
I don't know if it's just me but I have found the cart material in the 2-piece carts that came with my screwdriver to be of better quality than the "standard" carts. I even tried using pre-filled standard carts and the material inside still sucks. If I don't get around to getting fluval or whatever I might consider just looking for the 2-piece carts and swapping out the material to the standard ones.

Lachesis, the carts I ordered from myvaporstore, eastmall, and bestecig all seem to be the standard ones.

I like the design of the standard carts themselves though. Let us know how the filler stuff works out for you. I guess I won't try the teabag method after reading your post.

Last edited:

Palmetto

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
USA
I don't know if it's just me but I have found the cart material in the 2-piece carts that came with my screwdriver to be of better quality than the "standard" carts. I even tried using pre-filled standard carts and the material inside still sucks. If I don't get around to getting fluval or whatever I might consider just looking for the 2-piece carts and swapping out the material to the standard ones.

No, it's not just you. The filler in the ones that came with the SD is a flat piece of polyfiber, trifolded, and it does work better than the balled up stuff in the regular 901 carts. The reason I know is that I bought a bunch of them from Ruyan a while back, and since I really, really hate the e-liquid in the carts, I rinse that stuff out and blot the filler dry before I use it. I wish I could find them with no liquid, but here's a link to Ruyan (if you order via International Email, it's cheaper, but it might take 2-3 weeks), and TW, who carries the same carts at (cough, cough) a slightly higher price:

50pc black cartridges for RN4075 mini e-cigarette - Cartridges - Heaven-gifts.com Ruyandirect.com Best E-smoking Shop

Tobacco Electronic Cigarette Cartridges - DSE901

The Janty Dura carts also work well with the 4075 atomisers that come with the SD -- they hold more liquid and they're much easier to remove from the atty. I got those unfilled a while back, but it looks like they don't have the dry ones anymore (at least Janty's juice, if not the price, is better):

JANTY DURA CARTS - Janty USA

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA

Lachesis, the carts I ordered from myvaporstore, eastmall, and bestecig all seem to be the standard ones.

I like the design of the standard carts themselves though. Let us know how the filler stuff works out for you. I guess I won't try the teabag method after reading your post.

I took some chunk out of my daughter's pillow/cushion (bad daddy) filler, washed briefly, press dried and stuffed inside and started to vape. I stuffed not too tightly - as it sees to do worse job - just lightly. Doing so, some fine threads are occasionally sticking to my atty's wick... but other than that, I'm actually pretty satisfied with the result. It's definitely a lot better than some Japanese Tea bag, or paper towel method. The filler feels like the ones in the 801 carts that I got from bestecigs.

I really do like the standard 901 one that I got from mvs... so I think when I order my next batch of juice, I'll probably order a couple dozen from them. :)

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA
Well, here's my honest thoughts on my 901 (turns out to be RN4075, 901's cousin), as well as BE112 (801)... I don't have them anymore, as I sold them when I got my SD. They both have goods and bads.

901 tops the list for the taste and the size. Out of all my e-cigs, 901(4075) attys have given me the most consistent flavors. Decent throat hit w/o manual switch - but only when the battery is relatively full. Battery life was an issue for me, and that's why I jumped over to an SD.

801, originally intended to be my back-up unit. Excellent cartridge capacity - but the current design of 801 carts w/o any modification, at least for me didn't let me use all the juice in the cart. Most of the time, I was getting dry harsh hits from it. Even though BE112's atty is supposedly the most superior one out of all 801s, but it still had issue of not using the juice in entire capacity... only using upper half, and rest just stayed on the bottom... and in my retrospect, I should have re-stuffed the cartridge itself. I was consistently topping it off, which pretty much defeated its purpose of bigger cartridge. Decent battery life, and atomizer gives rather cold vapor. 901 is still pretty cool, compared to my other e-cigs like RN4081 (Npro) - but I kinda like warm vapor. Also, no matter how I look at it, it's pretty darn long and big. I had one atty that was really too tight for my carts, so I saw it off and made it much easier to "drip".. and it worked pretty well... but I believe cutting it off is more of an hastle than necessity too. Definitely better performing battery though - and I was even thinking making a custom 801 batt + 901 atty. ;)

Truth is, no matter what I was using, I was topping off carts pretty often - much more so than I really wanted due to the filler issue. For me, it seems like it lost its full capacity in 1 or 2 full days of use.

If I'm to choose either one of them, I'll go with 901. It's just more of my likings in all around - perhaps except the shoddy 4075 cartridge.

Thanks Lachesis, that synopsis was GREAT! I have the 801, 510 and RN4081. My favorite right now is the 801 with passthrough. I am so spoiled with the passthrough, such consistent hits! When I go out anywhere and have to switch back to battery only the consistent hits seem to disappear and it's not nearly as satisfying.

I may eventually get a SD or Prodigy but it'll be a while. I have the I-inhale coming and really look forward to using that, but there will be a learning curve with that devise I'm sure.

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA
You may eventually get SD or prodigy - but what I really wanted to say is that future of e-cigs, with in-demand battery technology (for auto and all kinds of stuff for everything green) - it looks rather bright. (except FDA cloud over there). We will eventually get a consistent, long lasting battery powered slim e-cigs someday! It maybe next year, or 3 years or 10 years later or what not... but that I can guarantee, if our e-cig industry can survive till then. (And I do hope this is not some kind of phase... as I really can't stand the taste of an analog anymore.)

And SD is just a small window looking to that future. :)

You may eventually get SD or prodigy - but what I really wanted to say is that future of e-cigs, with in-demand battery technology (for auto and all kinds of stuff for everything green) - it looks rather bright. (except FDA cloud over there). We will eventually get a consistent, long lasting battery powered slim e-cigs someday! It maybe next year, or 3 years or 10 years later or what not... but that I can guarantee, if our e-cig industry can survive till then. (And I do hope this is not some kind of phase... as I really can't stand the taste of an analog anymore.)

I agree and we'll (hopefully) be able to look back at what we're smoking now and equate it to the manual typewriter, I hope!

Rexa

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
New York City
SO... I've analyzed all my standard 901 carts. They all "appear" to be the same but I started vaping with the batch from besteig and the filler material is actually fluffier and can hold liquid better as a result. I am still not totally thrilled with them compared to filler from ruyan's 2-piece ones but they do the job way better than the other standards I have at the moment. I will probably buy from Janty and Ruyan to use theirs in the future but since I have so many carts (and don't want them to go to waste) I'll stick with what I have for now from bestecig. I guess it made sense for them to work better since my 801 carts from bestecig are my best carts for the pen atties.

Kit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2008
UK

Well the future is not far away lachesis :D

BBC NEWS | Technology | New batteries 'charge in seconds'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread