Trouble getting flavor off of the Recurve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogzx

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
USA
Am using 65/35 blend with 30x4/40g quad core fused clapton, reading at around .38 ohms. No matter what I do i'm just getting super muted flavor, even tried rewicking multiple times with multiple different methods. I've tried up to 60w, at which point it starts to taste burnt. I really just don't know where i'm going wrong here..

Reactions: stols001

Frogzx

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
USA
Coil position could be off. Every rda will have a sweet spot, and sometimes it takes a bit of tweeking to get it right.
Yeah thats what I thought, but i've tried using the tool to get the recommended length with the same results. Then tried making it a little shorter, and then a little shorter than that. Nothing i've done seems to be making a difference orz

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Yeah thats what I thought, but i've tried using the tool to get the recommended length with the same results. Then tried making it a little shorter, and then a little shorter than that. Nothing i've done seems to be making a difference orz
Since shorter didn't work, maybe you will need to go a bit longer? Other than that, I have no real tips. Maybe someone who owns one will have more guidance to share.

Frogzx

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
USA
I find the Recurve much better with alien coils, I use NiCr 80, 3mm ID, 2*28 + 4*0.1/0.3 flat wrapped 36 ga. Really punches out the flavour. Coils clipped as per the guide rod. Does OK with micro coils, better with claptons but aliens for me really push the flavour.
I don't have the tools to make them myself, and good aliens seem to be pretty expensive when buying premade. Also I think you have to use TC for Nichrome? No idea how to do that and apparently TC on the Pulse 80w is bad orz

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
I don't have the tools to make them myself, and good aliens seem to be pretty expensive when buying premade. Also I think you have to use TC for Nichrome? No idea how to do that and apparently TC on the Pulse 80w is bad orz

I just use XKFM alien wire. About $8 for 5m here. Not sure if your stockists have it but I'd guess you can get similar. Nichrome (NiCr 80) is for VW mode, nickel (Ni) is for TC. I'm using the above on a Recurve on the Pulse 80, VW mode, comes in at 0.26 with a 4 wrap (spaced). Aliens I find much better if wrapped with 36+, preferably 40ga if you can find it, def NOT 30-32.

How do you find the flavour off the supplied Wotofo fused claptons? I found them not bad, claptons, just OK, but still a fair bit of flavour. Micro coils not so much.

Last edited:

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
After putting in and pulling out a few builds on the Recurve, I settled in on my almost always go to build.
5 wrap 26g kanthal 3.5 ID single parallel that comes in at 0.40. The coil is just below flush with the af blocks.
I also ditched the 810 drip tip, which may be the only thing you need to do to up the flavor.
I use the same diy juice since 2/15 and know exactly how it should taste, and this build on the Recurve is giving me a nice flavorful vape.
I know everyone is different and I have made, tried and used every kind of coil there is and I always seem to get a perfectly flavorful vape off simple builds.
Maybe just start with the drip tip:)
:toast:

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
My first coil I used the included tool as a guide for the leg length. But I found on my second try I clipped 1.5mm off the leg length, which brings the coil a little lower to give me better flavor. Did you watch MikeVapes vid? He shows the coil leg length that he likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread