Trouble with GeekVape AEGIS Squonk

Status
Not open for further replies.

LizzK

Jul 2, 2020
I'm posting because I'm having difficulty with my Geek Vape AEGIS Squonk. I'm not an expert with Mods and pick up as I go. No matter what I try, I can't get it to fire at the set wattage. Im set at 50 watts but even a freshly charged battery is only earning me 25-47 watts for about 10 hits before it significantly decreases to below 20 Watts. All of my batteries are 18650s. Im not aware of the full specks of the coil I'm using, I bought it a couple weeks ago at the recommendation of a worker at the vape shop. The best I have is the display screen showing the coil at 0.12. I've had this issue for nearly a month with it firing at less than the set wattage. The problem just gets worse the longer it goes on. I've tried giving the battery port a wipe with a q-tip, changing the coils, checking over the mod and atomizer for loose/broken parts. I put the atomizer on a spare Mod and it works just fine. So my only thought is something just must be wrong with the Mod itself.. Any help would be greatly appreciated, its very frustrating.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Hi LizzK and welcome to ECF. :)

I don't have the Aegis Squonk. @bigbob2322 does and he did an excellent review (that I can't find atm, lol). He may be more helpful.

From your description it sounds like the mod might be set for TC (temp control)???
On the display what does it show: TC-SS, Power, TC-NI, TC-TI, TC-TCR???

If it's in TC mode try it in power (wattage) mode to see if it works for you at 50 watts. If it does the same thing in power mode then I would return/exchange it for another. If it works fine in power/wattage mode then we need to know the specifics, wire type, of your coil. SS316L??? etc

I do have an Aegis Solo. On the Solo to change modes click the fire button 3x. It will highlight the current mode. Press the up/down button to change modes. Then long press the fire button to set it. Hopefully it's the same on the Squonk.

ETA: When you put the atty on your spare mod what did the resistance read? 0.12 ohms? If the resistance is different on your spare mod, by how much? Maybe check the coil and make sure it's secure to the posts.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: zoiDman

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Wow LizzK! A squonk you usually wrap your own wire and mount them by two screws and wick with cotton. That doesn't sound like what you're using. It sounds like you're using a drop in coil and that usually is just screwed in like a light bulb. Where do you add your e-juice?

Not hitting the wattage almost sounds like you're using a temperature control coil and it is in temperature control. At the top of the screen it will say POWER, SS316, or something. What does it say?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm posting because I'm having difficulty with my Geek Vape AEGIS Squonk. I'm not an expert with Mods and pick up as I go. No matter what I try, I can't get it to fire at the set wattage. Im set at 50 watts but even a freshly charged battery is only earning me 25-47 watts for about 10 hits before it significantly decreases to below 20 Watts. All of my batteries are 18650s. Im not aware of the full specks of the coil I'm using, I bought it a couple weeks ago at the recommendation of a worker at the vape shop. The best I have is the display screen showing the coil at 0.12. I've had this issue for nearly a month with it firing at less than the set wattage. The problem just gets worse the longer it goes on. I've tried giving the battery port a wipe with a q-tip, changing the coils, checking over the mod and atomizer for loose/broken parts. I put the atomizer on a spare Mod and it works just fine. So my only thought is something just must be wrong with the Mod itself.. Any help would be greatly appreciated, its very frustrating.

Hi LizzK. Welcome to the ECF.

Here is what I would do if that was My Mod.

I would Make Sure the Mod is in "Wattage" or "Power" Mode. Then I would take it back to Vape Shop where you bought and ask them if you can Try the Mod using a one of their Batteries that they Know is Good.

If the Mod works Fine, then you would Know that the Problem is Your Battery(s)
If the Mod does the Same Thing, then it sounds like the Mod is Wacked.

50 Watts on a Good/Quality 18650 shouldn't be that much of a issue. But 50 Watts on an el-Cheap-o brand or a Knock-Off Re-Wrap could cause the problems that you are having.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
You are running at slightly over 20 amps with that set up at 50W.

The device may be limiting your power, depending on the battery you are using.

For a Regulated Mod, Amps at the Battery should be around 15.5 Amps @ 50 Watts when the Battery bottoms out at 3.6 Volts or so.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Wow LizzK! A squonk you usually wrap your own wire and mount them by two screws and wick with cotton. That doesn't sound like what you're using. It sounds like you're using a drop in coil and that usually is just screwed in like a light bulb. Where do you add your e-juice?

Easy, please? Though I use mechanical squonkers and build my own coils, nothing wrong using a regulated device and already made coils.

I even have a regulated squonker. The Topside Lite, I use in wattage only. I liked the conceptual ascetics of the device. It does eh, okay for me.

Got a Tiny Demon Killer from a buddy. I had to use the coils it had made up. My wife also set the coil. My arthritis & nerve damage at times can be frustrating doing work on tiny things.

My point being a simple reminder of the first rule of Netiquette. Remember the human. Thank you. :)

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
50 Watts on a Good/Quality 18650 shouldn't be that much of a issue. But 50 Watts on an el-Cheap-o brand or a Knock-Off Re-Wrap could cause the problems that you are having.

Yep, could be the fizzy water. Oh sorry, I was thinking about Slush Puppies.

Batteries can be a problem by being knock offs as @zoiDman says. Get your batteries from reputable vendors.

Here's a quick list of a few.

IMR

I have dealt with this business. They do re-wrap batteries but it isn't done deceptively. They use thicker wrap material for better protection. It also prints their own inventory markers on each battery wrap. You do though get what they advertise the battery to be.

DirectVapor

Ilumn

Lion Wholesale

Not dealt with any of the other three though I know many here and on another forum do. They say all these are straightforward and legitimate.

You might also want to check out Mooch's bit about batteries as well. Can lay dollars to doughnuts he knows more about them than I care to forget about them, not that I do forget.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
I'm borrowing that link for future use. ty :D

You might even need to point me back to it sometime. Please, do, too. Not a saint or angel myself and know that. :) Still I thought the sarcasm heavy was not really needed in such a case. Apologies for thinking but well, I am unable to stop it. *chuckles*

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Easy, please? Though I use mechanical squonkers and build my own coils, nothing wrong using a regulated device and already made coils.

I even have a regulated squonker. The Topside Lite, I use in wattage only. I liked the conceptual ascetics of the device. It does eh, okay for me.

Got a Tiny Demon Killer from a buddy. I had to use the coils it had made up. My wife also set the coil. My arthritis & nerve damage at times can be frustrating doing work on tiny things.

My point being a simple reminder of the first rule of Netiquette. Remember the human. Thank you. :)

Excuse me? What did I say? I am just trying to understand what LizzK is using to help. Drop in coils used in a squonker? Sure you can if you want to and nothing wrong with it. But I can't think of a configuration of any atomizer that uses drop in coils on a squonker. As I like to know more about such an unusual configuration. Might be something I would be interested in. :D

Demon Killer coils? I am actually vaping off of Demon Killer Alien V2 coils off on a RDA on a squonker and another in a Zeus X RTA right now. ;)

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Excuse me? What did I say? I am just trying to understand what LizzK is using to help. Drop in coils used in a squonker? Sure you can if you want to and nothing wrong with it. But I can't think of a configuration of any atomizer that uses drop in coils on a squonker. As I like to know more about such an unusual configuration. Might be something I would be interested in. :D

Demon Killer coils? I am actually vaping off of Demon Killer Alien V2 coils off on a RDA on a squonker and another in a Zeus X RTA right now. ;)

Excuse me? What did I say?

My apologies in all sincerity. I misread your tone, and thought you were being overly sarcastic.

No. The RDA I got was the Tiny Demon RDA. It's maybe one tenth the size a Wasp Nano. Fingernail sized actually. I'm awaiting a squonk pin for it.

I used the coils they supplied with the RDA in one of its "parts" bags. As I also said, my wife sat the coil in place for me. Again, arthritis, and nerve damage from youthful frolic and work leaves me frustrated often at tiny stuff.

Not using Demon killer coils, not that I wouldn't but I'm presently not. I like simple round wire builds that I wind up myself, most of the time. My builds run from 0.30 to about 0.50Ω +/- 0.05. I like a cool build and find 0.25 or lower starts to drop voltage quickly on single cell 18650 squonk mods anyway.

Got an Athena recently, have had still have some Coppervapes I like.

*ahem* But I'm not the OP. Excuse me.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... I am just trying to understand what LizzK is using to help. Drop in coils used in a squonker? ...

My take on what the OP said She is using is that She is using a "Pre-Coiled" Coil. And judging by the Resistance, it is probably some type of Exotic. Which kinda supports someone using a Pre-Coiled coil.

Could be wrong of course. So I guess we'll get the Full Scoop when She comes back.

BTW - I can probably count on One Hand how many Coils I Coiled lasted year. All I use is Single Wire Pre-Coiled Coils (SWPCC). And the Few I did coil was just because I was Bored.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
My take on what the OP said She is using is that She is using a "Pre-Coiled" Coil. And judging by the Resistance, it is probably some type of Exotic. Which kinda supports someone using a Pre-Coiled coil.

Could be wrong of course. So I guess we'll get the Full Scoop when She comes back.

BTW - I can probably count on One Hand how many Coils I Coiled lasted year. All I use is Single Wire Pre-Coiled Coils (SWPCC). And the Few I did coil was just because I was Bored.

Actually I used single strand wire in the past for years and it works okay. Although later I started playing with Claptons and the flavor and vapor was even better. Then I started with some more exotic coils and it only got better yet. And the more exotic the coil becomes, the more the coil starts acting as a wick itself. Which just keeps enhancing the vape and flavor. Plus dry hits becomes less of a possibility.

Even my simple Claptons, often lasts 3 times longer than my single wire builds. I don't know how it works, but it is like each strand of wire shoots off vapor which seems to steam clean the strand next to it. Also exotic coils works with a far broader power range than single strand wire does. The only two cons I can think of are you need more wire and more space compared to single strand wire builds.

• Agree
Reactions: Pigs

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Hi LizzK and welcome to ECF. :)

I don't have the Aegis Squonk. @bigbob2322 does and he did an excellent review (that I can't find atm, lol). He may be more helpful.

From your description it sounds like the mod might be set for TC (temp control)???
On the display what does it show: TC-SS, Power, TC-NI, TC-TI, TC-TCR???

If it's in TC mode try it in power (wattage) mode to see if it works for you at 50 watts. If it does the same thing in power mode then I would return/exchange it for another. If it works fine in power/wattage mode then we need to know the specifics, wire type, of your coil. SS316L??? etc

I do have an Aegis Solo. On the Solo to change modes click the fire button 3x. It will highlight the current mode. Press the up/down button to change modes. Then long press the fire button to set it. Hopefully it's the same on the Squonk.

ETA: When you put the atty on your spare mod what did the resistance read? 0.12 ohms? If the resistance is different on your spare mod, by how much? Maybe check the coil and make sure it's secure to the posts.
The aegis squonk can be converted to a solo by removing the squonk module and replacing it with the non squonk module that comes with it. I'm thinking too that the OP has it TC mode. The setting on their mod should work the same as your solo because the aegis squonk is basically a solo in squonks clothing.

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
Actually I used single strand wire in the past for years and it works okay. Although later I started playing with Claptons and the flavor and vapor was even better. Then I started with some more exotic coils and it only got better yet. And the more exotic the coil becomes, the more the coil starts acting as a wick itself. Which just keeps enhancing the vape and flavor. Plus dry hits becomes less of a possibility.

Even my simple Claptons, often lasts 3 times longer than my single wire builds. I don't know how it works, but it is like each strand of wire shoots off vapor which seems to steam clean the strand next to it. Also exotic coils works with a far broader power range than single strand wire does. The only two cons I can think of are you need more wire and more space compared to single strand wire builds.
I agree. The more "exotic" the coil, the better the flavour. I always assumed it was the extra surface area. I like your description of the coil acting like a wick

Reactions: BillW50
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread