Trustfire chargers. WHY are they considered to be so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redddog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
Rochester, NY
Just entered into the realm of the replaceable battery mod. Got a Segelei Zmax mini and a couple of aw 18350s. The place I got the batts from sold just the tr-001. Now I'm reading all this stuff about how you need to avoid them.

What are the downsides? Are my batteries going to blow? Do I need to get a new one?

I'm a little confused about what makes one charger better than the next. They all look about the same to me.

Thanks all.

k702

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
lost wages, sin city, NV
safety features and quality.

Look up the xtar vp1 and read the specs then compare to your tr-001. Really it's down to what you want, but imo your charger is really one of the few things that will be a constant in your vaping. You'll go through different mods, and toppers. You'll get new batteries once or twice a year. Kanthal and cotton come and go. Juices disappear as fast as they come in the mail.. But your charger is always there.

A bad one can eventually screw up and overcharge a battery, ruining the batt or worse. And there's always the price.. You'll spend 40 bucks on a good charger one time. You'll spend 10 dollars on a ____fire charger 4 times before figuring out you should have just got the 40 dollar charger.

Again, it's up to you.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
As k107 stated, you get what you pay for.

There's no question that the most important items in your vaping setup are your batteries and charger. Buy cheap poor quality batteries and a cheap poor quality charger and you'll end up buying them more frequently when their performance wanes, or worse. Put out the money at the beginning for a quality charger and batteries, and you'll save money and be safer in the long run. That Trustfire charger is notorius for taking twice as long to charge batteries than higher quality chargers.

Statistically, most battery incidents happen while batteries are being charged. This is when batteries are most vulnerable to go into thermal runaway.

A lower quality charger will be more likely to have inferior wiring and microcircuits. Inferior wiring, inferior circuit boards, and inferior workmanship can lead to potential short circuits resulting in fire and flames. There's a reason why they are less expensive. Again, you usually get what you pay for.

TRUSTFIRE.JPG battery_fire.jpg

Many vendors throw in cheap batteries and a charger in a starter kit to save themselves money. They are not necessarily interested in your personal safety, but YOU should be.

If your family car needs new brakes, are you going to risk your family's safety by taking your car to the shady auto mechanic who offers you the cheapest brakes he can find? Or will you take your car to a reputable dealer who will put quality brakes on the car and give you a warranty for a safer product? The analogy is the same here. Why risk your family or home on a potentially unsafe charger?

General consensus is that chargers made by Pila, Xtar, Nitecore, and Efest are the best chargers for external rechargeable batteries used in e-cigs. I recommend purchasing your batteries and charger from a reputable vendor like RTD Vapor. So-called "smart chargers" or intelligent chargers have advanced technology and features which make them safer than the cheaper chargers without this feature.

Last edited:

RIMP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Agree on the xtar. More reliable and it'll be a long time before you have to buy another one. Had mine for 3 yrs, gave all my trustfires away to newbies just starting out :2c:
XTAR WP6 II - 6 Bay Charger - AltSmoke

Xtar WP6 II 6 Channel Charger - Avid Vaper

2 reputable vape shops with them in stock. You can also check on youtube for reviews.

Also: NEVER EVER leave batteries on a charger and leave them unattended :vapor:

http://www.rtdvapor.com/xtar-wp6-ii/ RTD has a great rep for good prices and good quality products

Last edited:

k702

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
lost wages, sin city, NV
But if you already own the TF, is it going to burn the house down? I'll definitely be more descerning with my next purchase but until then, am I putting my family in danger by having this as my charger?

The trustfire charger shouldn't blow up as soon as you plug it in. From what I've read most problems with them come from overcharging or overheating lower quality batteries. I would suggest to keep an eye on it while you use it (until you can get something better, asap I hope) feel the battery and the charger now and then to make sure it's not getting warm.. And keep an idea of how long a battery has been charging. I don't know how good the charge indicators are on any of those trustfire chargers and you don't want to leave a battery on there for too long a period of time.

Never charge batteries while you're not home, or asleep.. Try to do it while you're going to be around the house (around the battery preferably)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Just entered into the realm of the replaceable battery mod. Got a Segelei Zmax mini and a couple of aw 18350s. The place I got the batts from sold just the tr-001. Now I'm reading all this stuff about how you need to avoid them.

What are the downsides? Are my batteries going to blow? Do I need to get a new one?

I'm a little confused about what makes one charger better than the next. They all look about the same to me.

Thanks all.

The Trustfire TR-001 got a Bad Name for a Couple of Reasons.

The Trustfire TR-001 has been around for quite a while. And like Many Products, changes (revisions) were made to the Original Design.

Some of these Changes were Good Changes. Some of these Changes were Not So Good. Also, the Trustfire TR-001 charger have Not Been made by the Same Single Supplier. None of this is Very Unusual. And Very Common Place in Manufacturing.

But where the Problem arose was that TR-001 were not Maked on the Outside by a Revision Level.

So the Original TR-001 Charger Rev"N/C" ( Revision level "No Changes") might have been fine. And the 1st design Change, Rev"A" might have been Fine Also. But the 2nd Design Change, Rev"B" might have been a Complete Disaster. So they made 3rd Change to fix the Rev"B" changes and released it as Rev"C".

But since they Didn't Mark the Outside of the Charger with the Change Level, you can't tell if you are Getting a Good One. Or if you are Buying one of Bad Ones.

I have Used 2 Trustfire TR-001 chargers and Never had a Single Problem with them. But Both of Mine were Purchased a Long Time ago.

I can say to Anyone that the TR-001 Charge they are thinking about buying is Good (or Bad for that Matter) because I can say what Revision Level they would be Buying.

And that is Why I Can Not Recommend someone Buying a TR-001.

---

BTW - Trustfire Products have to be the Most Ripped-Off, Cloned, Bootlegged Products on the Market. I would Venture to say that there are More el-Fake-O Trustfire Products being sold than Genuine Products. That, in and of Itself is a Reason to be Leery about Buying anything that has the Trustfire Name on it.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
But if you already own the TF, is it going to burn the house down? I'll definitely be more descerning with my next purchase but until then, am I putting my family in danger by having this as my charger?

Let's be Very Clear on this. Any Charger can Burn Down your House.

I would Strongly Suggest that you Follow a Few Simple Rules with ANY Charger that you Have or are going to Buy.

Don't use a Charger on anything that is on or near something that can Easily Catch Fire. I've seen too many pictures on people using a Charger on a Pile of Papers while Sitting under some Drapes. Think about where you are Charging.

Don't Charge Batteries Unattended or while you are Asleep. A Little Problem can Turn Into a Huge problem if there is No One around to stop it.

Don't leave Batteries on a Charger Longer than they Need to be. I know what people are going to say about this one. Modern Chargers Shut Off by themselves when done. Yah... That is True. When Everything is Working like it Should. But putting Trust in things Working like they should is Why Many Houses burn down every year. Because when these Chargers are Cranked out at Break Neck Speed to Meet Delivery Schedules, and when Price seems to be the Driving Factor that Many Consumers base their purchases on, corners can get Cut.

The Chances of a charger Burning Down your house is Very Small. But if you Follow these 3 Simple Rules, the Changes of there being even a Problem become Extremely Small.

---

BTW - Don't Expect a Charger to Not Have a Problem if you put el-Cheap-O Batteries in it. Use Quality Batteries that you Purchased from a Seller that is Reputable. Avoid Cheap Batteries at Always.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
BATTERY SAFETY TIPS:

• Use common sense.

• Don't carry spare batteries in your pocket or purse where they can come into contact with loose change or keys - use plastic battery cases.

• Don't skimp by buying cheap batteries or a cheap charger. Buy quality batteries and chargers, they'll be well worth it in the long run.

• Purchase only recognizeable & reputable brand-name batteries like AW, LG, MNKE, Orbtronics, Panasonic, Samsung, and Sony.

• Purchase brand-name chargers like Pila, Xtar, Nitecore, and Efest. Do not charge unattended, and use the charger on a flame-resistant surface (stove top, marble counter top, metal baking pan, pyrex dish).

• Only use IMR or IMR/hybrid safe-chemistry batteries, not protected ICR batteries.

List of IMR & IMR/hybrid batteries

• Use the appropriate battery for the specified application. Check battery specifications.

• Don't over-charge or over-discharge batteries. Don't leave batteries charging over-night.

• Don't buy any battery with "fire" in the name - Surefire, Trustfire, Ultrafire.

• Don't use generic batteries or batteries harvested from lap top computers.

• Be aware of fake or counterfeit batteries made to look like AW or Sony batteries. Buy from reputable battery vendors like RTD Vapor, Illumination Supply, or Orbtronics who can verify the source of their batteries directly from the manufacturers. Many of the batteries sold on EBay or Amazon are counterfeits and could be dangerous if used in a mod.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/batteries-chargers/568840-sure-your-aw-batteries-genuine-how-tell.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/batteries-chargers/581174-how-identify-counterfeit-sony-batteries.html

• Don't put magnets on flat-top batteries to try to make them button-tops.

• Don't stack batteries.

Reactions: Kelvin Teh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread