TRUTH: Nicotine protects brain cells from the effects of Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwainew

Aug 6, 2013
CA
The following is quoted from a 2003 doc, Alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, and mental disorders, which has other information that I don't necessarily agree with when it uses some fuzzy math, but much of the information is interesting.

"Nicotine has a neuroprotective action In neurodegenerative disorders such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases. It protects neurons against the neurotoxicity caused by p-amyloid, the major component of senile plaques."

For the real geeks:
Nicotine and neurodegeneration in ageing

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Many different pieces of this. My guess is many people want government funding. I am not trying to dismiss your idea, but of course there are always studies that differ.

Nicotine May Increase Risk of Alzheimer

I can say of the family members ,who I have married into, that have smoked... Sadly died or are dieing of Alzheimer. It is a nasty horrible disease which the only good part about it is when it full blown. The individual then is at a complete loss of memory. They don't know they have it. When they know they have it... it is very sad to watch them cuss themselves out for forgetting what they said not 20 seconds ago.

I won't even get into the amount of drugs they take every day just to slow the progress.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Many different pieces of this. My guess is many people want government funding. I am not trying to dismiss your idea, but of course there are always studies that differ.

There is an Immutable Rule when it comes to Studies.

When there is a Study that says Something is Good, there is an Equal and Opposite Study that says it is Bad.

It Fulfills the Super Symmetry Supposition Nature of the Universe.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
There is an Immutable Rule when it comes to Studies.

When there is a Study that says Something is Good, there is an Equal and Opposite Study that says it is Bad.

It Fulfills the Super Symmetry Supposition Nature of the Universe.

Yes sir. Just want people to know there are dissenting opinions studies journals, what have you.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yes sir. Just want people to know there are dissenting opinions studies journals, what have you.

Something else that sometimes is sometimes Not Considered is that a Chemical Compound may have both Beneficial and Hazardous Effects at the Same Time.

A Particular Compound/Drug may for Example have some Benefits to a Person in Early Stage Parkinson's. But causes Vascular Problems in All People.

So a Person who is Not Suffering from Parkinson's doesn't get Any Benefit from the Compound/Drug. And Only receives the Negative aspect from Using it.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Nicotine is a necessary component of our diet, and is essential for cognitive development. Without it, species would have never come into existence with a mental capacity larger than that of an ameba.

The reality is that nicotine is nothing more than one of the many thousands of substances that make up our diet. All of which play a role in making us what we are.

Kinda like talking about the horrors of theobromine :lol:

Last edited:

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
    Kinda like talking about the horrors of theobromine :lol:

You can't use words like that here.

Or did you mean Theo, bro?

theo.jpg

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Nicotine is a necessary component of our diet, and is essential for cognitive development. Without it, species would have never come into existence with a mental capacity larger than that of an ameba.

I'm not sure I would go That Far... But OK.

At what Dosage of Nicotine are you referring to? Because the Amount of Nicotine in a Balance Diet is Miniscule compared to the Amount that the Average Vaper Ingests on a Daily Basis.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I'm not sure I would go That Far... But OK.

At what Dosage of Nicotine are you referring to? Because the Amount of Nicotine in a Balance Diet is Miniscule compared to the Amount that the Average Vaper Ingests on a Daily Basis.

Yes it is miniscule in comparison. Did you know that the CDC has never tested a single person that did not have nicotine in their system? It's called the "background level". Those test numbers comparing a non smoker to a smoker are available on the internet if you care to look them up.

Nicotine was simply one of many substances that were necessary for the evolution of the brain to have taken place.

dwainew

Aug 6, 2013
    CA

I can say of the family members ,who I have married into, that have smoked... Sadly died or are dieing of Alzheimer. It is a nasty horrible disease which the only good part about it is when it full blown. The individual then is at a complete loss of memory. They don't know they have it. When they know they have it... it is very sad to watch them cuss themselves out for forgetting what they said not 20 seconds ago.

I won't even get into the amount of drugs they take every day just to slow the progress.

Bluecat,

My deepest sympathies for your stricken family members. Thank you so much for the additional information. But take heart, after closer scrutiny, this info is actually another win for ecigs, and maybe even your family!:)

In fact, what you found is really laughable and highlights the despicable atmosphere in the media right now. Whoever wrote this article is a charlatan and certainly can't be considered a journalist by any stretch of the imagination! don't know VOA - Voice of America English News, but wouldn't trust it.

Words are important. This article's title begins with the word Nicotine, but the entire study is about cigarette smoke! The abstract of the actual work, http://www.nature.com/ncomms/journal/v4/n2/full/ncomms2494.html even concedes the difference.

My goal in almost everything I write is to emphasize that "Nicotine is NOT tobacco"! I think it should be the ecig community mantra. This is a simple principle that the ANTZ don't want the public to grasp. And I'm convinced that the right legal arguments in the right venue could actually use this fact to redefine the Fed's power over nicotine. If it's not "dangerous" anymore, their meddling is no longer needed or wanted. THAT'S the ultimate goal of my TRUTH: factoids, which I hope to have time to research and present more of.

The TRUTH: I have written about here is specifically targeted to that goal, and the work I cited studies the in-vitro effects of nicotine on neurodegenerative disorders. The study you have cited relates to the effects of tobacco smoke! Great find, as these two studies can be used to compare and contrast, to highlight yet another significant difference between nicotine and tobacco!

Great Find, thanks again, and God bless your infirmed loved ones!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread