trying to disign a contraption to PREVENT the cloud, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, yes, I love my clouds, but sometimes, at night, I like to take my vaping out of my bedroom where I'm supposed to keep it and puff away in front of the family room tv. Even in my room, sometimes the vapor is too dense and I'm starting to see a film build up on some expensive electronics... (don't lecture me about sneaking around, I'm 41 living in my parents basement during a divorce and man sometimes I just wanna do what i wanna do)

Sooooo, today i started fiddling around with different ways to enjoy my vape but keep the cloud contained, like the old paper-towel-roll-with-laundry-softer-sheet in it so many of us practice in college to prevent a certain smoke smell from getting out.

So far the best I've done is a small tub (a plastic container that the convenience store sells with cotton candy in it) in which I placed some (NEW) absorbent kitty litter and wads of paper towels. I poked a few tiny holds in it, but covered them with paper towel, and of course I made a mouth piece to blow into that is airtight at the edges...

I figure since we're supposed to dispose of unwanted juice in a ziplock baggy of kitty litter, and vapor is just juice in another form it MIGHT grab and hold some of it, same with the paper towel... absorbent. Through trial and error, I managed to get just the right number of tiny holes to allow pretty good outward airflow (otherwise I couldn't push the vapor in at all)though the exhale is slower than I'd like... when I had more holes, though, too much vapor escaped, so I settled on the current compromise, and i finally locked everything down with duct tape. My mouth piece is a glass tube that I have positioned a little below one of the wads of paper towel and pointing at the kitty litter.

IT LOOKS RIDICULOUS, let me tell you. Especially since I used Hello Kitty duct tape, lol

It's actually fairly effective, reducing the vapor that ends up in the room by roughly 80% of more, so while the room definitely doesn't get that tell tale floating vapor cloud, if someone were to walk in they'd definitely still see a bit of it and I'd be caught red handed.

I think I need something MORE ABSORBENT, or with less pockets in the material, than a paper towel to cover out-flow air holes, so that the air can flow through more of the vapor will be caught. I tried wetting it with some e-juice (some crazy part of my mind though it would help, like the way a wet sponge absorbs better than a dry one) but it made no difference.

Any suggestions as to a new material to cover the holes with that will let the air flow but collect the vapor? Or has anyone else come across the same need and found a more elegant solution?

thanks! JOCELYN

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Hello @Jocelyn Silver . Necessity is the mother of invention. While I don't have any solutions it did cause me to think of something a chemist once said (we were chatting to the police about a possible illegal chemical factory in my hood) about how to conceal a chemical smell. His thought on the subject was to make a charcoal filter using the same cheap charcoal briquettes used for grilling out (not the self starter ones). I don't know if this would work but I wouldn't be surprised if a few vapers didn't start working on this issue or have already tried some things.

Good luck. :)

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
Wow! I'm sitting here picturing someone vaping with the contraption you described. :eek::w00t::confused::pervy:

Seriously I'd just open a window if I needed to hide the vapor. I understand if you are staying with someone the need to keep it to their liking, but that's a lot of work you are doing. Why not just open a window or turn a fan on? I'm a chain vaper and my clouds usually dissipate fairly quickly, especially if you open a window or put a fan in the room.

Good luck. I know I didn't add any insight to your contraption ideas o_O, but hopefully you can figure something out. :vapor:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
hmmm how about using some fiber fill ( fake cotton found in cheap pillows) along with something called "DampRid" ( its a desicant)
my theory is that the fibers would collect the vapor by contact and the DampRid would attract it even further since vape has some value of moisture in it
how would it be built?
the air entry would be at top, the fiberfill would be the first contact area and then as the vapor continues downward thru the fiberfill towards the DampRid, the remaining vapor passes thru the DampRid and out thru holes near the bottom of the container...
maybe using a screen type collender to hold the damprid will help in keeping the crystals from leaking out of the exit holes...

whatchathink?? might just work, and prototyping it wont be too expensive... remember, if you fail, fail cheap ;)

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
My trick: Order a large soda to go from a fast food restaurant, the kind with a top and a hole for a straw. Drink the soda. Put a small amount of water in the bottom of the cup. Put the lid back on and the straw back in. Blow the vapor down through the straw and make bubbles in the water. Hardly any vapor comes out.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    My trick: Order a large soda to go from a fast food restaurant, the kind with a top and a hole for a straw. Drink the soda. Put a small amount of water in the bottom of the cup. Put the lid back on and the straw back in. Blow the vapor down through the straw and make bubbles in the water. Hardly any vapor comes out.

Lol, neat idea but the sound might drive everyone crazy, lol.

-Sit near a window and blow outside thru a tube?

-VapePillow- Blow into a pillow? ( A cat if handy)

Reactions: Foggy Road

nyiddle

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 9, 2014
    USA. State: Inebriated.
    Hello @Jocelyn Silver . Necessity is the mother of invention. While I don't have any solutions it did cause me to think of something a chemist once said (we were chatting to the police about a possible illegal chemical factory in my hood) about how to conceal a chemical smell. His thought on the subject was to make a charcoal filter using the same cheap charcoal briquettes used for grilling out (not the self starter ones). I don't know if this would work but I wouldn't be surprised if a few vapers didn't start working on this issue or have already tried some things.

Good luck. :)

Charcoal filter is key.

Look into the "Smoke Buddy" @Jocelyn Silver. They're like 10-15$ on Amazon and work a treat for smoke. I imagine they'd work as good/better for vapor.

You could theoretically make your own using the charcoal rocks that are sold for fish tanks. They're like little charcoal COPYRIGHTDMCA meant to absorb odors/stuff in your fish tanks. Doing it yourself would end up just as costly as buying a Smoke Buddy though, so.. Your call, really.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Charcoal filter is key.

Look into the "Smoke Buddy" @Jocelyn Silver. They're like 10-15$ on Amazon and work a treat for smoke. I imagine they'd work as good/better for vapor.

You could theoretically make your own using the charcoal rocks that are sold for fish tanks. They're like little charcoal COPYRIGHTDMCA meant to absorb odors/stuff in your fish tanks. Doing it yourself would end up just as costly as buying a Smoke Buddy though, so.. Your call, really.

I don't know...dry smoke vs wet steam......

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    You guys have it All Backwards.

Instead of trying to Suppress the Cloud being Exhaled, I say Illuminate the Cloud being Inhaled.

Remove the Heating Coil and Replace it with a Micro-Pulse "True" Atomizer. So when the User pushes the Power Button, there is a Ultra Fine Mist of e-Liquid created which is Mixed with the Inhaled Air.

Wow! I'm sitting here picturing someone vaping with the contraption you described. :eek::w00t::confused::pervy:

Seriously I'd just open a window if I needed to hide the vapor. I understand if you are staying with someone the need to keep it to their liking, but that's a lot of work you are doing. Why not just open a window or turn a fan on? I'm a chain vaper and my clouds usually dissipate fairly quickly, especially if you open a window or put a fan in the room.

Good luck. I know I didn't add any insight to your contraption ideas o_O, but hopefully you can figure something out. :vapor:

Thanks, obvioulsy, I don't want to open a window or I would have done that, nor would it prevent someone from sensing he vapor right away, but just pevent build up. I have A/C in one room so the window is closed to hold in the nice air, and a valuable record collection my room... and I'll NEVER open that window on the off chance it ever drizzles and a speckle of water gets in, now way jose.. and actually, that vape film needs to never touch my records again, and and open window isn't good enough for that! (totally admitting to vinyl snobbery lol)

Reactions: DagMatt
    photo.php
    For proper perspective, you GOTTA see the ridiculousness I contrived. This is model #2... I'm going to keep working.

But DOES ANYBODY KNOW.... are the molecules that our vape clouds are made of LARGER or SMALLER than that of our normal exhaled breath... for this to have a chance, the vape molecules need ot be bigger.. then I just need to find a material of a density that passes exhaled air but not vapor. Otherwise, I can just give up now.

OOOORR, is vape juice/vapor water soluble, cuz I could always re-purpose a very, long unused, old mini-.... and set it up so a tube blows the vape juice deep into the water, and then just never take a hit off it, let the vape linger in the water til it mixes in... i wonder...

and if not water, might it work with some alcoholic beverages or (eww) mouthwash?
    vape keeper.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: YoursTruli

Panorama911

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2012
    Kansas
    I love it...the reverse b..g!:lol:

But would it not be easier to just go with a high ohm/hi PG tootle puffer so you can vape and reduce the vapor?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread