Trying to make a lemon, and made a lemon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaufisch

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Finding it hard to find some advice on making a decent plain refreshing lemon flavour so I was hoping some of the juice gurus can chuck in their 2cents. Yes I've read hoosier's blog posts :D

So here's the deal, I have some TPA Lemon, and I mixed at 15% and made something that tastes rather... gastric. I'm trying to balance it out with menthol, ethyl maltol and some stevia and wondering if anyone has used TPA/TFA Lemon and what percentage they have mixed it at, also what additives did they find helpful?

thanks muchly :)

blaufisch

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Are you giving it a chance to settle down (steep) in a few days time the flavor can change drastically. I ha ent expiramented with lemon yet, ill have to look into that.

sent from my s3 like a derp.

I made it last night :) it has settled down a bit, not so yak tasting, and I bet a few more days will smooth it a bit.

I also ask because regardless it will need some em and/or sweetener plus a menthol/koolada to make a nice balanced flavour and looking for others' proven results in balancing the flavour

BakuPeg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Gainesville, Ga
Remix. Start at 5%, try it. Then give it a week steep. Add some EM and a couple drops of real lemon juice.

Also a complementary flavor wouldn't hurt. For instance, adding 1 - 2% lime / orange / pomeagranet or watermelon will help to round it out a little.

If it doesn't work, add more TPA lemon and repeat

blaufisch

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Remix. Start at 5%, try it. Then give it a week steep. Add some EM and a couple drops of real lemon juice.

Also a complementary flavor wouldn't hurt. For instance, adding 1 - 2% lime / orange / pomeagranet or watermelon will help to round it out a little.

If it doesn't work, add more TPA lemon and repeat

Interesting!! to the LAB! *whoosh*

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I like BakuPeg's approach, but I would do it slightly differently.

Start at 5%. Shake and taste. If it isn't right, set it aside for a week and then try it.
Slowly work it up this way until it gets close.
After it is close then start adding things like lime, orange, watermelon, blueberry, raspberry, EM or lemon juice. If adding a bit of raspberry nails it, set it aside for another week and try it again. If it is still great then mix up a big bottle and organize your notes as you happily vape away.

Kinda' the same as Baku's, but different.

blaufisch

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2013
Toronto, Canada
I like BakuPeg's approach, but I would do it slightly differently.

Start at 5%. Shake and taste. If it isn't right, set it aside for a week and then try it.
Slowly work it up this way until it gets close.
After it is close then start adding things like lime, orange, watermelon, blueberry, raspberry, EM or lemon juice. If adding a bit of raspberry nails it, set it aside for another week and try it again. If it is still great then mix up a big bottle and organize your notes as you happily vape away.

Kinda' the same as Baku's, but different.

OK! whipped up a 5% batch, much more tolerable. I'll leave this and the original for a week and report back

thanks everyone!

blaufisch

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Oh don't do that BakuPeg, your method has merit. I'm stodgy with recipe development. (That means I'm slow)

I think the catch-phrase "*WHOOSH*" should be one to catch on. No explanation, just *WHOOSH* and everyone knows you've opened the lab and started mixing.

this is great, learning the process. patience and a light hand... i can see the wisdom :)

blaufisch

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Well a week as passed, and 15% is definitely too strong, I will dilute it. 5% seems a bit weak, so I made a 10% and its *almost* there. Maybe 8% or suchlike. It seems to be, rather than a lemon flavour one would associate with candy, a sour, acidic flavour. This is not a bad thing, with some em and koolada it makes an approximation of lemon.

I may try an experiment as suggested above and add a drop of real lemon juice and see what happens. I use an RBA when at home, so i'm not concerned with killing an atomizer or tank.

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
You may find adding real lemon juice to tpa lemon will actually mute the lemon flavor after a week. I compared two side by side awhile back and thats what happend for me.

I decided that using tpa lemon along with either tpa lime, or tpa mountain dew, and DEFINITELY some koolada at about 3-4% did the trick to make more of a lemonade flavored juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread