Trying very first snus now (and yes, I'm a female)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheilalynn

ECF Veteran
Got part of my little "test" order from Northerner today...the can of General Mini Mint White Portions. Actually have the first one in my mouth right now. I think this is something I could get used to! It's a light mint flavor in a nice small package. Not sure if it would have enough of a nicotine punch for me right now, so I may try the wintergreen white portions eventually. But if it is enough, I'll stick with this. Always have my e-cigs if it's not enough nicotine too! This is almost as yummy as the mint flavored juices, mmmmmmm

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Those are required warnings and MEAN NOTHING. The warnings forced on snus and dissolvables are just disgraceful misinformation brought on by anti-smoking zealots. The research on snus' health consequences is all out there for anyone to read. Results bear no relationship to those ugly warnings. It's incorrect warnings like these that make consumers disbelieve ALL tobacco package warnings.

The mini mint is a fine snus, Sheilalynn. It was called CatchDry Peppermint until General decided to market it under the General label a couple of months ago. It's a regular for me, particularly after meals.

Snus maintains a very steady blood nicotine level, unlike smoking, so you're not likely to feel the same "hit" you got from a cigarette. But your nicotine rises about 10 minutes after you put a portion in place, and keeps steady for an hour or longer. Many find this very satisfying.

Yes, you can always inhale from your e-cig for even more nicotine.

Elwin

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Missouri, USA
Sheilalynn:

First: good for you! I've been trying to get my sister to try snus (a 2 pack a day smoker), but she thinks it would be "unladylike". I'm glad that there are women out there willing to at least TRY. It gives me the opportunity to show her that this ain't just a guy thing.

Second: always listen to TB when it comes to snus. Everytime I stumble across a new tidbit of knowledge about snus, I find that he's already "been there - done that" - and posted it somewhere on this site...

:thumb:

One addendum to 42109, though.
Swedish snus meets a much higher health standard than american tobacco products. They have to toe the medical line and are held responsible to the Swedish version of the FDA as a FOOD grade product.

American Camel SNUS (aka Frost and Mellow) may well be a MUCH more dangerous product than any Swedish product.
The simple fact is that unlike the Swedes, Camel USA won't disclose how it's even produced, nicotine content, secondary ingredients, etc. They answer to no one but their own sales and marketing divisions...
:mad:

So while Camels warning may indeed be valid, it's not even in the same league with REAL Swedish snus...

Now I'm gonna kick back, pop in a Roda Lacket and watch a flick...
:)

Last edited:

sheilalynn

ECF Veteran
Bob: The General Mini Mint did seem to be way up on your list when I asked, so of course it was the first one I was going to try! And they seem to have about the same effect as a piece of the nicotine gum, so it is doing as you say, meaning keeping a little nicotine in the system more evenly.

Elwin: I listen to Bob too when it comes to these...he seems to know almost too much about them, hehe. But I don't think these little pouches are "unladylike", that's why I decided to give them a try. I love the taste of the dissolvable tobacco called Ariva...maybe she'd be open to those. Anything you have to spit though would be untouched here. THAT wouldn't look too cool coming from a woman ;-) They're invisible, can't see it from the outside at all with these small pouches, so maybe your sister would try a small one if you had a mini portion?

SmokingClam: Ack, 17mg???? You must be bouncing off the walls, hehe

Caesarea: I may be wrong, but I think snus are illegal in Europe except for Sweden, which I think is ridiculous. And I saw alot of flavors at northerner.com so they most likely do have something you'd like if you can get them sent to you.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Sheilalynn, you're very accurate in your assessment of the General mint portion. It does indeed have about the same strength as nicotine gum. Some users who feel the need for more nicotine will use two at once, but that's a tad expensive!

Most snus tastes powerfully of salt and tobacco. Some love that taste; some don't. When Camel and Marlboro came to market, they opted for what they thought was America's fondness for "sweet". To many people, they spilled the sugar! Camel was too weak, also, but has since boosted nicotine to a decent, moderate level. Marlboro is a lost cause at this time.

I'm never sure how any given individual will react to standard Swedish snus. American-named brands (not made in America, however) include Lucky Strike, Pall Mall, 1847 (from Philip Morris) and the new Swedish Camel (very, very different from the sweet American product). For beginners, I'd suggest staying away from them.

Mocca Pomegranate is a snus that is semi-sweet, but nothing like the sweet American offerings (Skoal has joined in offering snus, with its SkoalDry Snus products; I like the cinnamon flavor).

All you can do is read the descriptions on Northerner or BuySnus and order a tin to test. They're not expensive. I'd stick with white, mini portions at first. For awhile, there seemed to be a great trend toward special "lady" snus. I tried them: Vertigo CubaGold and Bahama Velvet, Romeo y Julieta Senorita. Unfortunately, Vertigo dropped its line of special snus in special plastic tins. I have no idea why. Americans have trouble getting Romeo y Julieta (sometimes) because it has embargoed Cuban tobacco in it.

One more note: Ariva has mint or java flavor and offers 1.5mg of nicotine per piece for a "light" cigarette smoker; Stonewall has 4mg for a "regular" cigarette smoker. I've used Stonewall Java about four years now and plan to step down to Ariva Java next go around. E-smoking allows us to step down nicotine levels, but so do snus and dissolvables. The goal is to find the lowest daily nicotine intake that keeps you satisfied without threatening your health with a high nicotine dependence.

Here Wildsky, I just took a quickie pic of one of the General Mini White Mint snus...very small :)

snus.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread