lordmage

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2008
Dundalk,Maryland, USA
ok everyone this is the offical response from TSA about are Beloved devices

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif,Arial]Thank you for your e-mail. [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif,Arial]The Transportation Security Administration's current security screening procedures require all carry-on luggage and accessible property be screened before passengers take them onboard an aircraft. Regardless of whether an item is on the prohibited or permitted items list, the Transportation Security Officers (TSO's) have discretion to prohibit an individual from carrying an item through the screening checkpoint or onboard an aircraft if the item poses a security threat. [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif,Arial]Therefore, TSA security screening personnel make the final decision on whether to permit items like [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Electronic Cigarettes[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif,Arial]into the sterile area of the airport. [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif,Arial]Please visit our website at [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif,Arial]www.tsa.gov[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif,Arial] for additional information about TSA. We continue to add new information and encourage you to check the website frequently for updated information.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif,Arial]We hope this information is helpful.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif,Arial]TSA Contact Center[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif,Arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif,Arial]So in essence it is not a yes or a no but a maybe depending on thier actual screeners
[/FONT]

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
Good God!! Don't drag the TSA into this. Most of them are a bunch of idiots.

TSA deals with security. Using them inside the airports is controlled by the airport police and other members of airport security. TSA can let c-cigs into the airport, but that doesn't mean they can be used. Same as analog's.

devonschmoker

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
Portland, OR USA
As I have stated before. Most screeners are familiar with PVDs. I know for a fact that PDX (Portland Oregon) is. I also know that this can be clearly seen as a “Non Threat” device. However, I suggest that you check your syringe as they will see it as a threat and not allow it past the passenger checkpoint.
Also, I felt slightly offended by the following statement.

Good God!! Don't drag the TSA into this. Most of them are a bunch of idiots.
TSA deals with security. Using them inside the airports is controlled by the airport police and other members of airport security. TSA can let c-cigs into the airport, but that doesn't mean they can be used. Same as analog's.

These TSO’s are NOT anywhere near idiots. In fact the majority are college educated and are very intelligent. I you also must remember that they are the people that ensure that you make it to your destination safely. They are highly trained and skilled. I seriously doubt that any of them would see a PVD as a threat and they should be allowed to go through the checkpoint without any issue.
But it is true that they have no control over the rest of the airport. They may be allowed on the aircraft but it is up to the airline and the airport to allow their (PVDs) use. - Devon (Former TSO)

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
As I have stated before. Most screeners are familiar with PVDs. I know for a fact that PDX (Portland Oregon) is. I also know that this can be clearly seen as a “Non Threat” device. However, I suggest that you check your syringe as they will see it as a threat and not allow it past the passenger checkpoint.
Also, I felt slightly offended by the following statement.

These TSO’s are NOT anywhere near idiots. In fact the majority are college educated and are very intelligent. I you also must remember that they are the people that ensure that you make it to your destination safely. They are highly trained and skilled. I seriously doubt that any of them would see a PVD as a threat and they should be allowed to go through the checkpoint without any issue.
But it is true that they have no control over the rest of the airport. They may be allowed on the aircraft but it is up to the airline and the airport to allow their (PVDs) use. - Devon (Former TSO)

I'm very sorry if you were offended, and I apologize. I don't want to turn this thread into a TSA debate, so I'll try to keep it short.

I've been traveling extensively by air for over 40 years on business, and have seen some wild & crazy things by TSA. From 2001 to 2005 I was on a terrorist match list which took me to many wonderful private areas within the security system, at many airports around the country. Extensive damage over the years to my test equipment from TSA inspectors, delays, and some questionable searches.

Just 2 weeks ago at Reagan Int'nal, I was delayed. Since I'm stage 2 Platinum with Continential Airlines, the CO agent helped get me through the system, with a few good words and a bit of computer work. 85% of TSA proceedures are nothing but a smoke screen to make the passanger feel safe, but has no effect on the actual overall system.

and 5 TSA people I talked to Friday in Chacago O'Hare's smoking area were totally baffeled by my e-cig

b00stzx3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2009
Frederick, MD
I worry about bringing my Juicebox even close to an airport. Maybe I can pass it off as something else. Anyone have problems bringing juice On board?

Jim, I feel ya on the terror list thing. I was flagged on my way to a missionary trip with my church, on the list, and yet I'm a federal employee. Guess some other idiot with my common name did some stupid stuff on a plane.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
I worry about bringing my Juicebox even close to an airport. Maybe I can pass it off as something else. Anyone have problems bringing juice On board?

Jim, I feel ya on the terror list thing. I was flagged on my way to a missionary trip with my church, on the list, and yet I'm a federal employee. Guess some other idiot with my common name did some stupid stuff on a plane.

Yeah - Think of that happening on every trip. 2 to 4 times per week.

Anyway, I carry a 30ml bottle of juice with me in my carry-on. I put it in a separate zip lock bag in case it leaks, roll it up in the bag, then put it in my zip lock bag with my liquids to go through security. I've never had it questioned. NOTE; I remove the dropper and put that in my shaving kit bag. The dropper is also wrapped in a small zip lock so the juice residue dosen't get into anything else.

NOTE ON PASSTHROUGHS; Get a small tube that the passthrough will fit in. Coil the cord nicely & loose and insert it in the tube. When looking through the x-ray, the passthrough & wire just look like a jumbled mess. If the passthrough is just put in a case loose, the tube with wire in the end looks suspicious, and TSA will inspect it.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
yes and the reason iposted this is my response from the FAA stated they defered to TSA on this item and ultimating said it is up to each person and place

E-cig's are still a major "grey area". The FAA is just sitting on the fence, and will not jump to either side yet. Which is a good thing. They haven't jumped to any conclusions yet.

The problem with TSA is, they send general memos, and let the individuals interpret them for themselves. They feel that inconsistencies in interpretation will throw off possible attacks. This is a good idea in most cases. The e-cig issue is not one of them.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
All good points, but I sure as hell am not attempting to get on a plane with my red-button Screwdriver (when it arrives.) That thing just has "detonator" written all over it :D

They may question it in your checked baggage too. The best thing for travel are the mini's, IMO. If any of the bans get worse, the mini's can be carried inside a large writing pen. A few minor mods, and you have an effective carrying case. E-juice would be no problem. Put it in a small aftershave or cologne bottle. Spare carts and atomizers anywhere, they wouldn't be a problem.

Calaban

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Newmarket, NH USA
I have to fly from Boston to LA tomorrow.

I don't have any special way of carrying or concealing my e-cig stuff.

I would like to bring it on the plane in my carry-on...not in order to vape on the plane, but just so my bottles of liquid do not explode (or implode?) due to pressure problems in checked luggage.

I plan on just putting my bottles, with droppers, in with my other liquids.
My batteries will just go in a pocket in my bag. My atomizers in another pocket. Same with chargers.

I am a musician so my carry-on bag will have some other electronics in it. I usually get pulled aside and asked to show them what that stuff is, so I am hoping my e-cig stuff will either blend in or just ignored.

I am hoping my plan will not be a problem.

Any frequent travelers care to give some tips, or tell me that my plan stinks? 8-o

Thanks!

-Cal

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
I have had numerous national and international flights, with no problems whatsoever. Juice in quart baggie. Multiple ecigs, including USB passthroughs in my carry on with tons of other geek apparatus, no problems whatsoever.

No problems with my Screwdriver whatsoever, in my very small across the shoulder bag.

I think the paranoia level about this is a little too high, frankly.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009

I would like to bring it on the plane in my carry-on...not in order to vape on the plane, but just so my bottles of liquid do not explode (or implode?) due to pressure problems in checked luggage.

My batteries will just go in a pocket in my bag. My atomizers in another pocket. Same with chargers.

I'm going from Houston to Oakland tomorrow. Look out the window, you may see me waving at you.

OK-I don't see any problems. I carry my cigs in a eyeglass case which I keep in my shirt pocket. I put it inside my computer bag when going through security. Extra emergency cigs, and supplies are also in my computer case in another pouch. My e-juice is in the zip lock baggie. (I double baggie the juice, in case it leaks) No problems in months, and I fly 2 to 4 flights per week.

Have a safe flight.
jd

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain

I am a musician so my carry-on bag will have some other electronics in it. I usually get pulled aside and asked to show them what that stuff is, so I am hoping my e-cig stuff will either blend in or just ignored.

I am hoping my plan will not be a problem.

Any frequent travelers care to give some tips, or tell me that my plan stinks? 8-o

Thanks!

-Cal
I travel monthly and mostly Internationally, most of you are getting worked up about nothing. I started vaping last summer and have been through at least 30 TSA and International security with no problem. I carry a Janty Kissbox manual with 5 batteries, 3 manual switches, 5 atomizers and a bottle of e-liquid in the 1 litre clear bag(the e-liquid).
Here you go.

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
I have had numerous national and international flights, with no problems whatsoever. Juice in quart baggie. Multiple ecigs, including USB passthroughs in my carry on with tons of other geek apparatus, no problems whatsoever.

No problems with my Screwdriver whatsoever, in my very small across the shoulder bag.

I think the paranoia level about this is a little too high, frankly.

yvilla, is correct, no problems.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Calaban;

I don't think my last post went through. Anyway, you shouldn't have a problem on your trip. My e-cigs go through airport security 2 to 4 times a week with no problems. Just make sure to double bag you e-juice in case it leaks, and put it in the TSA approved ziplock baggie with your other liquids.

Have a safe flight.
jd

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
For security's sake, I hope they do at least look over each e-cig boarding with a passenger. It's no stretch of the imagination to turn one into an aerosol sprayer of Sarin gas, a single-shot weapon, or a torch. There's even a convenient pushbutton on my Kissbox model. And some modified ones easily resemble a weapon. It's best if these are examined before boarding and shown to be what they seem to be -- a smoker's choice of nicotine delivery in places where smoking is banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread