TSA and the Ecig FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigelty

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2009
Long Island
all this worry about e-cigs and airplanes. A device containing only four---five ingriedients if you choose nicotine is such a controversy and a concern for those who depend on it to substitute their ex-tobacco habit, where their cigs contained 4000 harmful chemicals that are highly poisionous. one of the poisonous ingriendents in traditional cigs is a chemical for rocket fuel, for crying out loud!

meanwhile, if you smoke tobacco, there are no worries because wherever you land, it will be available for purchase and easy to find.

But if you use ecigs, wherever you go, they are hard to find and you may have some explaining to do.

What does this say here?

crevenew

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2011
Arizona
Hoping you can give me your opinion. I will be traveling to Maui HI via
Phoenix to LA to MAUI. I am concerned my ECIG box mod (REO)may be refused by TSA.

Do you think I should put it in a checked bag?
Open it up for inspection via security check?
Ship it to the hotel before departure?
What do you think the odds are that a REO box Mod will flip TSA out?

For backup I may take an inline PV such as EGO-T , do you think I will have an issue here?

I'd hate to end up in MAUI w/o ecigs.

Thanks
Crevenew

Shortstuff116

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Bellingham, MA
Hoping you can give me your opinion. I will be traveling to Maui HI via
Phoenix to LA to MAUI. I am concerned my ECIG box mod (REO)may be refused by TSA.

Do you think I should put it in a checked bag?
Open it up for inspection via security check?
Ship it to the hotel before departure?
What do you think the odds are that a REO box Mod will flip TSA out?

For backup I may take an inline PV such as EGO-T , do you think I will have an issue here?

I'd hate to end up in MAUI w/o ecigs.

Thanks
Crevenew

My suggestion would be to pack every bit of your e-cig gear in your carry-on bag. Take all of your batteries out of (or off of) your devices and put them all in one plastic sandwich bag, leave it inside your carry-on through x-ray. Put any liquids in another plastic sandwich bag and be sure to put them inside a larger plastic zip bag (I think 1 quart size is max) with any other liquid items you may have and they go in a separate open tray through x-ray. At least that's what I did on my trip to DC and back and not one question or double-take. I then opened up my carry-on at the gate and put my e-cig together and stealth vaped there and on the plane.

If you have any real concerns about them taking your stuff, then take a postage paid pre-addressed padded envelope with you in your carry-on too. That way you can drop it in a mailbox in the terminal and ship them home.

tnwg83

May 22, 2011
Alabama
So those of you that are traveling somewhere for more then a day or two and use cartomizers, how do you refill them without a syringe? Do you just drip into the cartomizer? I ask because I am taking a flight from Pensacola, to Richmond VA, on Airtran, and I will be gone a week. I dont think I want to drip into the cartomizer for a week. I use an e-power, so should I take it completely apart and put it in my purse or carry on? I wont be taking any checked baggage. I know I will taking my old 510 with the longer battery, as well, because I find it very hard to stealth vape with the e-power. I will put my eliquids in a ziplock, should I also put my e-power battieries in a separate ziploc bag? Should I separate the switch and the battery holder, or just take the battery out and leave the switch connected to the empty tube? I know this is alot of questions, and I assure you I read through all 19 pages of this thread, and nothing specific has been said about the e-power. Thanks for your response(s)!

chrispete

Dec 12, 2011
Seabrook, TX
Hi all, I'm flying through Honduras to Roatan in February. Anyone hear of any problems in that region? I've only flown once since ive been vaping and am still a little nervous. I'd kill to protect my mods :)

It's been a few years since I flew to/from Roatan but checking in for the flight back to the US they required all US bound passengers to get in a line and they opened and very thoroughly went through all suitcases (checked and carryon) in front of us. They threw away some toiletries and got cranky about batteries (AA's for our camera that we had all in one ziplock together.) They did not throw away the batteries but painstakingly spread them out between layers of clothing so that none of the contacts could hit another battery/metal and short out. I'd suggest packing one batt/mod per baggie and that may help with that issue. Again this was several years back.

Bluerooster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So those of you that are traveling somewhere for more then a day or two and use cartomizers, how do you refill them without a syringe? Do you just drip into the cartomizer? I ask because I am taking a flight from Pensacola, to Richmond VA, on Airtran, and I will be gone a week. I dont think I want to drip into the cartomizer for a week. I use an e-power, so should I take it completely apart and put it in my purse or carry on? I wont be taking any checked baggage. I know I will taking my old 510 with the longer battery, as well, because I find it very hard to stealth vape with the e-power. I will put my eliquids in a ziplock, should I also put my e-power battieries in a separate ziploc bag? Should I separate the switch and the battery holder, or just take the battery out and leave the switch connected to the empty tube? I know this is alot of questions, and I assure you I read through all 19 pages of this thread, and nothing specific has been said about the e-power. Thanks for your response(s)!

I quit using syringes about a year ago. Just drip into the carto. On initial fillup I just drip untill the space between the stuffing, and the top is full. Then about 6-10 drips to top it off every so often. Let it sit snd soak. I keep several loaded cartos, so I can use one while one is soaking.

Bluerooster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
By the way, anyone have experience with TSA at ATL, and ECigs?
I understand that they are quite .... about things of which they have no knowledge.
The other airports I've been to are much more able to use common sense. And they are friendlier as well.

Dang, this may turn into a rant. But why can you keep your analogs, but not keep the source of ignition?
Then once cleared through TSA, you go to the closest smoking area and get what? Matches, which you may carry on board the airplane!

Krabill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2011
Tulsa
www.designatedvaping.com
I fly pretty often and have found that the TSA agents are being told to let all e-cigs through. I had one agent find my stash in my carry-on just last week and he didn't know what it was. I told him it was an electronic cigarette, so he went and asked his manager, who told him it was ok for me to have it.

The agents I have come across that already know what it is let me right on through with no hassle. A few agents are curious and have questions, a few don't know what to do and ask their supervisor, and a few don't say anything, but they all let me through security with them.

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
It's been a few years since I flew to/from Roatan but checking in for the flight back to the US they required all US bound passengers to get in a line and they opened and very thoroughly went through all suitcases (checked and carryon) in front of us. They threw away some toiletries and got cranky about batteries (AA's for our camera that we had all in one ziplock together.) They did not throw away the batteries but painstakingly spread them out between layers of clothing so that none of the contacts could hit another battery/metal and short out. I'd suggest packing one batt/mod per baggie and that may help with that issue. Again this was several years back.

Your so right, Leaving the country was brutal! First my carry on was scavanged through :ohmy: DH smuggled a sea shell. Then as I was boarding the plane I was grabbed out of line by a man with a machine gun, all my checked luggage had been, pulled and I sent to a small room which everything was throughly searched, my pockets emptied, and patted down again :blush: But alas, I had nothing to hide, they never did look at my 3 mods 8 sets of batteries and chargers. Alls well that ends well.

lulu836

Jambalya, crawfish pie, 'da filé gumbo
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2011
Shreveport
I recently flew on American from Dallas to Rapid City, SD. I had a backpack with cameras, chargers, extra camera batteries, a GPS unit etc., and ecig supplies. In Dallas the TSA supervisor happened to be standing at the head of the security check line. I was unloading the electronics into the trays and he asked me if those were ecigs. I said yes and he said don't bother with taking them out........we see them all the time. At the Rapid City "airport" with the same baggage configuration as in Dallas, TSA yanked my backpack which they said contained a knife. Being 73, female and in a wheelchair I am not in the habit of transporting pocket knives. So what do you think they put back through the scanner? My camera bag and my "electronics bag". Charging cords, extra batteries for cameras, charging cord for cell phone, etc. Did they question my ecig equipment?............no. After thoroughly handling those two items and tossing each item in the plastic bucket they tossed the backpack in the plastic bucket and said they did not find a knife. REALLY?

If anyone here is planning a trip via American Airlines try, try, try again to find another carrier. Since they are in bankruptcy they are flying "puddle jumpers" no matter the destination. They will also cancel flights with no advance notice if a particular flight does not have a certain percentage of customers.

Ratchet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hi. Anyone know what the verdict is on getting a Chrome Lavatube with a tank through security at Houston International? I will be flying to Germany in February of next year and I'm wondering if it is safe to take the LT in my carry-on. I know I can't vape (unless I chance stealth vaping) in the airports or planes but I would like to keep the LT in carry-on so I can pull it out on the other side right away without digging through my checked bags. I will most likely fly Lufthansa Houston - Frankfurt, non-stop. I am planning on carrying tanks in a plastic "liquid" bag and keeping my extra liquids in the checked baggage but I'm concerned that TSA could seize my LT... THAT would be a disaster! 3 weeks in Germany without my "peace pipe"... No, thanks! Germany airport security at arrival shouldn't be an issue, they never check my bags as I am German Citizen. Don't know how it would be on the way home though. Airport security in Frankfurt at check-in? Hmmmmm, not a clue. Any experience with either getting a LT through security in the US or Germany?

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
Hi. Anyone know what the verdict is on getting a Chrome Lavatube with a tank through security at Houston International? I will be flying to Germany in February of next year and I'm wondering if it is safe to take the LT in my carry-on. I know I can't vape (unless I chance stealth vaping) in the airports or planes but I would like to keep the LT in carry-on so I can pull it out on the other side right away without digging through my checked bags. I will most likely fly Lufthansa Houston - Frankfurt, non-stop. I am planning on carrying tanks in a plastic "liquid" bag and keeping my extra liquids in the checked baggage but I'm concerned that TSA could seize my LT... THAT would be a disaster! 3 weeks in
Germany without my "peace pipe"... No, thanks! Germany airport security at arrival shouldn't be an issue, they never check my bags as I am German Citizen. Don't know how it would be on the way home though. Airport security in Frankfurt at check-in? Hmmmmm, not a clue. Any experience with either getting a LT through security in the US or Germany?

Hi Rachet, I went through Huston on an international flight this last feburary. There was zero problem, I kept my batts, chargers and cords all in a nice bag tucked into my roller carry on with my camera stuff and my PV's in my purse in a nice case. I didn't have to pull any thing out except my juice of course in a plastic baggie. I cleared customs both ways but was stopped for smuggling sea shells :) On my way back through TSA in Huston one guy did say "hey those things explode" and I said so do cameras, phones, computers and tooth brushes, grabed my stuff and kept on walking......the agent only smiled. Don't worry you will be fine and safe traveling..

Ratchet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hi Rachet, I went through Huston on an international flight this last feburary. There was zero problem, I kept my batts, chargers and cords all in a nice bag tucked into my roller carry on with my camera stuff and my PV's in my purse in a nice case. I didn't have to pull any thing out except my juice of course in a plastic baggie. I cleared customs both ways but was stopped for smuggling sea shells :) On my way back through TSA in Huston one guy did say "hey those things explode" and I said so do cameras, phones, computers and tooth brushes, grabed my stuff and kept on walking......the agent only smiled. Don't worry you will be fine and safe traveling..

Good to know, I would be highly p.... off if they'd take my LT from me....LOL!

Ratchet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I doubt it. Just throw them in your regular liquids Baggie. That way they'll most likely ignore them as the cant tell if it's shampoo, conditioner, soap, hair stuff or whatever and probably won't give it a second look. When I flew to STL a few weeks ago I was only gone for one overnight stay so I didn't have to take that much but I just put the little 6 ml and 3 ml travel bottles in with my other liquids and security didn't even give it a second look at Hobby in Houston. Still don't have an experience with international but domestic seems to b no biggie.... :)

DeeDeeTX

Jun 7, 2012
TX
Hey everyone! I've read through all the pages in this thread and I'm still a bit confused, I'll be traveling Sunday out of Houston (IAH) and this is what I plan to do:
Carry-On Bag:
-Two Kgo Batteries with the charger
-3 empty clearomizers
-2, 10ml bottles of e-juice
-5, 3ml sample-size bottles of e-juice
-3 filled cartomizers
Checked Bag:
-1 five count box of sealed/empty cartomizers
-3 cartomizers with liquid in them
-5 atomizers with a few drops of liquid in them
-4, 10ml bottles of e-juice

Should this be OK? From what I've read I should bring my batteries with my carry-on stuff, the only thing I am sort of worried about is the atomizers and cartomizers that will be checked-in...should I just put them all in my carry on? I just feel that having 15 or so cartos/atomizers with my checked bags will attract more attention so I want to "spread the risk"...maybe I'm over thinking it, but your suggestions and comments will help ease my mind. Been analog-free for 2 months and I would hate to lose any of my gear:unsure:

Ratchet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
You are over-thinking it. Liquids in a quart-sized Baggie with all your other liquids, Kgo in plain view. Don't try to hide anything, they won't take it from you. Batteries in Carry-on, you are not allowed to check any type of batteries. Enjoy your trip, I managed to get through security at Houston hobby Airport with a Lavatube. You'll b fine!

Tracker1861

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2012
Morristown, TN
Sorry in advance if this has been covered in this topic as I have only read about 2/3's of it. My plans are to be traveling from the US to the Philippines next year. I am sure there will be possible connecting flights in possibly Canada as well as possibly Hong Kong. Ending up in Manila and maybe one other airport inside of the Philippines. Has anyone had any experience with any of these country's in the past and if so, could you please share your experiences/suggestions? Thanks in advance for your response(s). Btw, I plan on taking my Reo Grand mod as well as all the necessary accessories including the juices.

Sorry in advance if this has been covered in this topic as I have only read about 2/3's of it. My plans are to be traveling from the US to the Philippines next year. I am sure there will be possible connecting flights in possibly Canada as well as possibly Hong Kong. Ending up in Manila and maybe one other airport inside of the Philippines. Has anyone had any experience with any of these country's in the past and if so, could you please share your experiences/suggestions? Thanks in advance for your response(s). Btw, I plan on taking my Reo Grand mod as well as all the necessary accessories including the juices.

Vaping is starting to become HUGE in the Philippines. I can't speak about other places but definitely Metro Manila. A lot of establishments aren't strict about it at all, as people tend to know what it is. A security guard at Starbucks told me that vaping wasn't allowed (this was when Starbucks had its smoking ban policy nationwide) even after I explained it was an ecig, but that's no longer the issue since they redacted that policy.

A suggestion, if ever you run out of juice go to a Vape! station near you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread