TSA and the Ecig FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracker1861

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2012
Morristown, TN
vaping is starting to become HUGE in the Philippines. I can't speak about other places but definitely Metro Manila. A lot of establishments aren't strict about it at all, as people tend to know what it is. A security guard at Starbucks told me that vaping wasn't allowed (this was when Starbucks had its smoking ban policy nationwide) even after I explained it was an ecig, but that's no longer the issue since they redacted that policy.

A suggestion, if ever you run out of juice go to a Vape! station near you.

Thanks for your reply, it is much appreciated. I have been wondering about this since I first ordered my mod. I sure don't want to give it up nor do I want to revert back to cigs once I get there because they took it from me.

Theken

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2011
Gilbert, Arizona
I am intending on bringing a couple mods with me on a flight this week and would like to make sure they won't disallow me.

Provari (1) with 18490 IMR 3.7V 1100 mAh batteries (2)
Wooden Box mods (2) with 14500 IMR 3.7v 900 mAh batteries (2)

Should I remove the batteries from these units prior to going through the TSA checkpoint, should I place the batteries in my checked luggage or carry-on?

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
I usually carry only stealthy ecigs when I travel but even with them I break them apart I put all batteries in along my case/bag where I have a my other camera batteries/chargers, usb cords etc.. Batteries would go though carry on.
All juice will be in proper bottles inside the 1 liter /quart bag separately. all drip tips cartos etc goes in to my shave kit along with toothbrush etc..

Theken

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2011
Gilbert, Arizona
Update on my trip.

2 Wooden Box mods through Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix and my Provari along with lots of wick/wire, 6 HH357s, 3 Phoenix RBAs, and 80mL of juice. The only thing that warranted a second look was the Provari. She took it out, looked at it for about 2 seconds and sent me on my way.

lilhurricane

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2010
Here & Now
www.dslreports.com
Hoping I won't have issue with my FBM on domestic flights. I already bagged them / separated juice, batteries, charger & 5v box mod & tips into a clear plastic bag

Airline (Southwest) told me ok for carry on or checked, but was concerned about airports in general.
I'll update later if all went a-ok

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Last four times I flew I only took stick batts, egos, atomizers and juice. I placed the PVs and atties in one baggie, and the juice in another, all went in the bin. Each baggie had various business cards in it that say "THIS IS NOT A CIGARETTE" type of thing. LOL. Overkill, but it was funny watching people pick up the baggies with curious looks on their faces as they went through the machine. I didn't have a single issue.

This time I plan on taking the Provari and putting it in the tub as above. Seems people have taken tanks through without issue. As I understand it lithium ions have to go in carry on so I was going to just throw them in with my camera, chargers, etc.

Ya'll have any advice on taking something like a DID? Would you place it in a bin for scanning with everything else? Or just stick it in my toiletry bags, etc?

2mtech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2011
NC
Recently went through Raleigh, Boston, Amsterdam, Stockholm, back through Amsterdam, and then Detroit. Had one ProVari in my checked bag, another on me as well as a Provape, tanks, joose, and cartos. I had all the joose in their bottles in a ziploc along with the ProVari and Provape which I placed in the scan bin everywhere. had no issue anywhere stateside or in Stockholm, but Amsterdam was very interested in the devices. I had to take them out each time, show them what they were and how they worked, and they were STILL not happy at all about me having them. They held me at security while they deliberated over the "paraphernalia" then finally let me go on. I briefly feared for my expensive mods (and personal freedom). The irony did not escape me that I was in a place where weed is basically legal and was being all but shaken down for having ecigs!

Moral: Expect a hassle in Amsterdam :mad: I will be making another trip to Sweden soon, and will NOT be stopping in the Netherlands!

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Recently went through Raleigh, Boston, Amsterdam, Stockholm, back through Amsterdam, and then Detroit. Had one ProVari in my checked bag, another on me as well as a Provape, tanks, joose, and cartos. I had all the joose in their bottles in a ziploc along with the ProVari and Provape which I placed in the scan bin everywhere. had no issue anywhere stateside or in Stockholm, but Amsterdam was very interested in the devices. I had to take them out each time, show them what they were and how they worked, and they were STILL not happy at all about me having them. They held me at security while they deliberated over the "paraphernalia" then finally let me go on. I briefly feared for my expensive mods (and personal freedom). The irony did not escape me that I was in a place where weed is basically legal and was being all but shaken down for having ecigs!

Moral: Expect a hassle in Amsterdam :mad: I will be making another trip to Sweden soon, and will NOT be stopping in the Netherlands!

I went through Amsterdam about 7 times last year, twice checked in from outside, 4 times had security at the gate due to non Shenzhen flight back home. Like I said before, I take everything apart, put them other than liquids in a clear Baggie with my camera battery, charger, iPad adapter, cord, USB cord etc.. And put it next to my 1liter liquid bag while it goes for the scan, had no problems. In 4 years of traveling with ecigs been asked twice what it was, once here in Okc and once in Barcelona.
Some of you say you will put the unit in the bucket, well should work but if it's mixed along with your other electronics batteries and chargers, it melds well.

Thank You very much and for me this couldn't be more timely as I have been seriously "Vaping" for only a month an I'm flying to SAT in less then 2 weeks. One more thing I never complain when going through security because the procedures in place are there for the protection of all. I can think of nothing I would not do to protect myself or fellow travelers. Thank you for all your good work and i'm sorry you must endure idiots.

REET_AZ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2011
Arizona
We just flew from a smaller airport Williams Gateway in Phoenix/Mesa to Gerald R Ford International in Grand Rapids, MI (also smaller airport) and return flight.

Took Ego Twists with us with Vivi Nova Mini Tank mounted, as well as about 5 extra Ego Twist batteries and extra mini novas and heads. We put the assembled units in the tray. Extra batteries were in a carry on backpack. Not one single question.

I left my beloved Provari at home - mostly because I did not want to lose it or leave it behind...and because I did not want to carry the extra batteries and charger. I sure missed the Provari, and hugged it when I got home after 10 days. But the Twist and Mini Vivi did its job - and flew right through TSA check.

I am flying to London next week. I will be there for two weeks. I dont believe I want to leave the Provari again. Should be interesting to go through customs :)

nj1001

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2009
Boston-ish
I've travel to europe every summer and I always bring my vape gear and never have any issues. Once I brought a box-mod - no issues. On another trip with an alpha & omega - no issues (also brought with me on a trip to Central America & again, no issues) & this past summer with a Provari mini - again no issues but leaving Boston, TSA just asked me a few questions but they already knew it was an e-cig, they just wanted me to verify that that is in fact what it was & they ran by bag with it in there a few times but no issues. Last year I went from Boston to LA & they questioned me about my cartos saying they had to verify they weren't bullets & I explained what everything was and they seemed interested but again, all was chill.

Once in the air, I flip through the airline magazine with a fine toothed comb looking for info about whether vaping is actually aloud. Usually, with the airlines I flew it said that vaping an electonic cigarette is prohibited. That said, when in the air I vape but hold it so as to not exhale any significant clouds and nobody knows or cares. I do the same thing in all airports while traveling internationally and I might get a stare for a sec here and there from other travelers but nobody gives me any trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread