Read this! Tuesday: Halo start first lawsuit against FDA, Debate in the UK House of Lords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
And news that Nicopure Brands (Halo) are the first out of the door with a lawsuit against the FDA: Nicopure Labs Challenges the FDA’s Deeming Rule - Nicopure Labs LLC.

In its court filing Nicopure Labs, who is not affiliated with any tobacco company, contends the FDA’s rulemaking process violated the Administrative Procedure Act, and that the deeming rule violates the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

And a great debate on vaping products in the UK House of Lords: Parliamentlive.tv

And this would be worth a few vapers getting stuck into: The F.D.A. Rules Ignore Harm Reduction Benefits for Adult Smokers - NYTimes.com

Last edited:

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
I'm sure the FDA expected lawsuits and push back from the industry so they are likely prepared for it. I doubt they will be able to simply dismiss everything like they did during the comment period. It's hard to say how much ground the industry has to stand on though. The courts will decide that of course.

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
I'm sure the FDA expected lawsuits and push back from the industry so they are likely prepared for it. I doubt they will be able to simply dismiss everything like they did during the comment period. It's hard to say how much ground the industry has to stand on though. The courts will decide that of course.

They may think they are prepared, but, based on the regs themselves, they are woefully stupid on the science.

Carnage9270

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2015
Washington
I'm not a fan of them doing this. Not that I disagree with what they are trying to do, I just think we'd be better served by a larger group with deeper pockets proceeding with the lawsuit. Halo can't afford what the newly formed group can. Just don't have deep enough pockets. We don't want legal precedence set because a lawsuit didn't have funding to get truly high powered attorneys and lawyers to fight it correctly. We'll see how it pans out I guess.

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
They may think they are prepared, but, based on the regs themselves, they are woefully stupid on the science.

Woefully stupid from a casual observer perspective for sure. But I don't think they were being stupid at all. They surgically removed any and all reference to the positive science and used a bullhorn to deliver the negative science. All by careful design to push a set of draconian regulations at all costs.

At this point the only 2 ways it can unravel is the proposed amendments or some decisive favorable court victories.

Eventually the truth will be undeniable and the market would likely be uncommonly subject to re-regulation over time. Which still sucks pretty bad if it goes down like that.

liquid_strat

Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
u.s.
Not sure how many watched the House of Lords debate. Just to state it here: Those debating in the House of Lords were completely in favor of Vapor products in the UK as a nicotine alternative to UK smokers where each speaker covered a wide swath of pro- vapor product information. The speakers all stated straight forward that the EU directive will not be allowed to discourage use of vapor products by UK smokers. And the UK will promote vapor products as a safer alternative to smoking. Finally stating that the UK will use the most light handed approach to implementing the TPD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread