Twisting Nichrome to make lower resistance dual coil, advice sought...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr8Scott

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2012
Ifaitoldzya, Umytszlapmi
I recieved some good advice here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rebuildable-atomizer-systems/359129-need-low-ohm-coil.html, but I am still having difficulties getting a good coil. I didn't mention I am using pre-boiled 100% natural cotton as wicking.(with a Phoenix clone)

Whats been happening is wild readings on my newly built ohm-meter and also extreme popping that eventually quits. Is there a trick to twisting the lower gauge wire into a new length of braided coil ?
Does the twisting (into a new dual wire) need to be as tight as possible? Loose ? Midway?

Also,when you insert the (new dual) wire into the post holes of a Phoenix is it okay to cut off the original starting loop that you used to make the DC? Or is that whats causing the sporadic readings and popping? Usually with a single wire coil I just cut the excess off close to the post with surgical scissors and don't even worry about it.

I wasn't aware of the need to pre-burn the wire with a lighter( how long, by the way? ) but I will try that next.

I am just trying to make the 36awg work until the 32awg comes in. But, sheeesh:unsure:, the resistance is either way high with like 4 or 5 loops on the single( like 3.3 to 4 Ohms )and crazy low with the improvised DC (like 1.1- 1.2).

Having only 2 or 3 winds in a coil just seems wrong. Plus it's wobbly when I am trying to manipulate the wicks for absorbing da' juice.

I am wanting like 1.5 to 2.2 ish. I want a reasonable coil with at least 4, prefer 5 winds for stability and surface area coverage. This seems like, normal.

jcarabelos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2009
Colorado
Hey Gr8Scott. An easy way to braid the wire is to loop it midway around the negative screw, tighten it, and then loop the other end around the allen key or similar item and twist. Braid should be tight, but not straining on the wire. Then wrap your coil around your wick and attack the other end to the positive post. Make sure you meter out the coil first to make sure you're not exceeding the amperage limits of your battery. Hope this helps. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread