Status
Not open for further replies.

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
i've been scanning through posts and not sure i've seen the exact answer on one of these.

ok, i found posts about the carts not lasting forever, refilling, etc, and how many puffs for "one cig" and all that, but physically on the e-cig, how do you tell the cart is empty? is it just not producing vapor? like, puffing on it and nothing happens? my concern was, it seemed like that is a bad thing for the atomizer too, right? i wasn't sure if there was a fine line between knowing your cig is empty or messing up your atomizer because you can't tell it's too empty.

other question...again, seems most posts are UK based about this, but does anyone in the states know a good place to find this glycol/glycerine additive that people are mixing ejuice with? all i could find was that it should be "food grade" and trying to google it just comes up with tons of brands and i'm not sure which would be the proper kind to use.

or....point me to a thread that contains that info? i'm going to go check into the mixing forums and maybe i can find out there :)

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
how do you tell the cart is empty? is it just not producing vapor? like, puffing on it and nothing happens? my concern was, it seemed like that is a bad thing for the atomizer too, right? i wasn't sure if there was a fine line between knowing your cig is empty or messing up your atomizer because you can't tell it's too empty.

other question...again, seems most posts are UK based about this, but does anyone in the states know a good place to find this glycol/glycerine additive that people are mixing ejuice with? all i could find was that it should be "food grade" and trying to google it just comes up with tons of brands and i'm not sure which would be the proper kind to use.

or....point me to a thread that contains that info? i'm going to go check into the mixing forums and maybe i can find out there :)

Hello Flitzanu

(1) If you have no vapor--time to refill--not to good an idea to run your atomizer dry for any length of time--but not to big a concern as you do not want to hit off a dry cartridge anyway--keep the cartridge nice and moist but not pooling on top--
(2) Vegetable Glycerine--food grade can be found in any health food store here in US Hope that helps--Sun:)

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
thanks Sun!

is there...a certain type of VG to avoid, or any additives to avoid? am i looking for "pure VG" or how exactly does that work?

and thanks on the other question.

not sure if you've heard of Eclipse brand cigs, they use a similar method as ecigs, but are tobacco. instead of burning, it's a heated filament that sorta vapes the tobacco into smoke. anyway, they don't burn (but are lit) and the only way to tell when it's done is that it stops producing. so that makes sense then, when they aren't really...vaping. and good to know i won't kill the cig if i puff and get nothing :)

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
thanks Sun!

is there...a certain type of VG to avoid, or any additives to avoid? am i looking for "pure VG" or how exactly does that work?

and thanks on the other question.

not sure if you've heard of Eclipse brand cigs, they use a similar method as ecigs, but are tobacco. instead of burning, it's a heated filament that sorta vapes the tobacco into smoke. anyway, they don't burn (but are lit) and the only way to tell when it's done is that it stops producing. so that makes sense then, when they aren't really...vaping. and good to know i won't kill the cig if i puff and get nothing :)

You are welcome Flitzanu--You will find that the health food stores all sell 100% VG food grade--if it is anything else do not buy it. 7 Dollars for 16 ounces--lot of e-juice to be had!!!!!--Happy Vaping Sun:)

Hey guys, i read on another post here, that you can buy glycerine at michaels craft store(in the cake baking section). So i went and bought some, it doesnt say whether its food grade but i assume it is, and in ingredients it just plainly says glycerine..nothing else which is good.Well anyway i add a drop to every cart and does seem to last alittle longer and makes vapor a tad bit thicker, cost i think about 2-3 dollars for 2 ounces, brand name is Wilton.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Hey guys, i read on another post here, that you can buy glycerine at michaels craft store(in the cake baking section). So i went and bought some, it doesnt say whether its food grade but i assume it is, and in ingredients it just plainly says glycerine..nothing else which is good.Well anyway i add a drop to every cart and does seem to last alittle longer and makes vapor a tad bit thicker, cost i think about 2-3 dollars for 2 ounces, brand name is Wilton.

Wha--that is correct--Wilton is a big player as well as Now--any health food store has it--also add some LorAnn flavor www.lorannoil.com and get some real flavor in that cart!! Happy Vaping--Sun:)

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
I have been under the impression that glycerine is iffy in carts because of the possibility of it causing kidney problems.

Is this incorrect?

That's PEG Terraphon (though it seems to worsen or bring out existing kidney-issues; not so sure it actually causes them - and also just in very few people) (still: not wanting it myself either because of this, plus the accompanying secrecy over putting it in that happened with sedansa)

As to glycerin: that emits acrolein (carcinogen) if the vapor is burnt too hot - so at least never suck your atomizer to being red hot, if you are using glycerine, would be a sensible warning with this I would think.

(All the above is from a very long thread on a german forum, where they have been looking into PG, PEG and VG quite closely: thread to be found here: Polyethylenglykol PEG )

As for my own choice: I am sticking with PG. Tested often and extensively; plus the added bonus of a germ-killer. But that's just my personal choice. And I do think glycerin is a good alternative for the small group that is really allergic to PG (as long as it is used with the care it needs).

GermanGoodness

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2009
Federal Way WA
Great post, Flitz and great info, Sun Vaporer! I will need to order the LorAnn flavors!

My personal experience has been that I smoke approximately 13-14 puffs on an analog (Light 100's). You might want to test that out, if you haven't quit already. The downside is that I sometimes forget how many puffs I have taken on an e-cig.

UkUsa

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2008
Smalltown Iowa, USA
Flitz. I called a local health food store about VG. They didn't have any in stock but have ordered me an 8oz bottle. I'm going to pick it up on Thursday with no shipping charges.
You can also search on amazon for vegetable glycerine. There is quite a few on there. Also i have found some places online that sell PG in a gallon bottle for around $25.
If you haven't already, check out the DIY liquid forum. Lots of info if you are interested in mixing your own juices.
DIY e-liquid - e-cigarette-forum.com • The place for electronic cigarette reviews, news and chat

I have been under the impression that glycerine is iffy in carts because of the possibility of it causing kidney problems.

Is this incorrect?
Well Terr, i beleive you use the evo if im not mistaken(ive seen your review). I also use the evo and if you look at thier site, in the health info section, they actually have the ingredients in thier carts, says 8% glycerol.Now glycerol and glycerine are the same thing just 2 of the same name according to wikipedia. Hope this soothes your mind about using the glycerine:cool:

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
just a quick update, i did find some of the Wilton brand glycerine at a local hobby store. i can't remember if "Hobby Lobby" is regional or national...sorta like Michael's craft stores (we have those too, hobby lobby was closer). anyway, 2oz bottle, $2.18.

interesting note though, i found a bottle of glycerine with the soap making crafts too. it says 100% vegetable based glycerine, but DOES NOT list the ingredients, nor any health facts (the Wilton brand lists calories, fat, protein, etc: nutrition facts). also the one for soap says "not for consumption."

however...its a bigger 8oz bottle for about $3! since it doesn't say what the ingredients are though i wouldn't want to try it.

just funny if it's the exact same thing...

~kerri

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
San Francisco, CA. USA
"interesting note though, i found a bottle of glycerine with the soap making crafts too. it says 100% vegetable based glycerine, but DOES NOT list the ingredients, nor any health facts (the Wilton brand lists calories, fat, protein, etc: nutrition facts). also the one for soap says "not for consumption."

however...its a bigger 8oz bottle for about $3! since it doesn't say what the ingredients are though i wouldn't want to try it.

just funny if it's the exact same thing..."

_Well it is and it isn't...
Wilton is a baking supply house and is required to list the above and is food grade, the soap making one is most likely not food grade- as long as it's not intended for consumption they don't have to tell you jack about the processing etc... (I make cosmetics & I deal with this ALL the time looking for supplies) I would go with the Wilton if I were choosing between the 2 as well.

Jaaxx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
juicyliquid.com
I have addressed this issue in a few threads, but I'll try to put it all together.

What is called Glycerin can be had from many different sources. Some of it comes from petroleum byproducts, some from organic waste, some from vegetable sources.

People seem to be hung up on getting glycerin from vegetable sources. But, as long as it is USP 99.9% or whatever it should make no difference where it came from. Glycerin is glycerin at that level of purity.

Think of it this way, astronauts on the ISS are drinking water distilled from urine. H2O is H2O no matter where it comes from as long as it is pure. In the states USP is one of the assurances you have that a substance is, in fact, "pure."

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
Any good brew shop will carry glycerine in 4 and 8 oz. bottles. It's used as a smoothing agent (and sometimes a sweetener) in wines and distilled spirits and adds body.

Nicotine is soluble in water. If you dry the tobacco out and then pulverize it in a blender and then let it steep in a hot water solution you're going to likely extract a very high percentage of the nicotine. Enough that, in my opinion you should be able to calculate the amount of nicotine from the total volume of tobacco. For example, 1/2 oz = about 20 cigarettes and a cigarette has about 2 mg. of nicotine.

I'm in Utah and was ...... off a few years back that they were going to be selling compressed snuff mints in some eastern states, but that Utah was one of a number of states that were attempting to prohibit them. I wanted to try them when they first came out and they weren't available here. Nicotine lozenges and that prescription crap is like way too much money when you compare it to a $3.00 pack of 20 hard snuff tobacco candies. This product is now available in Utah I believe and I find it delicious (sorta like coffee candy). Well at the time I considered going the route of making my own and actually had completed an extraction of nicotine alkaloid which was suspended as a thin layer of oil in an ether solution when I chickened out and threw it away. I just didn't have the right equipment and experience to be working with this stuff. ONE SINGLE DROP ON A PERSON'S UNPROTECTED SKIN CAN KILL! Atropine (another poison) is only a possible antidote. But REALLY ISN'T ALL THAT JUST A LITTLE BIT TOO SCARY?

The method I settled on is the one suggested in these forums, a simple water based extraction that is filtered and then concentrated and mixed with a base. The recipe is easily found on the Internet it's actually used to make insecticide. In my case I made candy mints! It worked out splendidly!

Unfortunately, I can't use snuss or most chewing tobacco because it gives me hiccups. Well, so did these candies I made 8-o

The hard snuff lozenges don't give me hiccups though and I suspect it's for the same reason that the tobacco can be swallowed -- it's low in nitrosamines. Unfortunately neither the lozenges nor the patches have proven to be a suitable nicotine replacement therapy to substitute for my cigarettes so I'm gonna try vaporizing.

But really good luck with these experiments. Still, I'm sure that the real juice is made with refined nicotine alkaloid just like the lozenges at the pharmacy. Some thought should be put into what other compounds (probably more than 95% of the volume) are in the tobacco juice you're making from a water based extraction???

udave

ECF Veteran
just a quick update, i did find some of the Wilton brand glycerine at a local hobby store. i can't remember if "Hobby Lobby" is regional or national...sorta like Michael's craft stores (we have those too, hobby lobby was closer). anyway, 2oz bottle, $2.18.

interesting note though, i found a bottle of glycerine with the soap making crafts too. it says 100% vegetable based glycerine, but DOES NOT list the ingredients, nor any health facts (the Wilton brand lists calories, fat, protein, etc: nutrition facts). also the one for soap says "not for consumption."

just funny if it's the exact same thing...

I am using the Wilton brand from Hobby Lobby as well. The flavor is really sweet all by itself and I get tons of vapor. The glycerine doesn't seem to dry my throat out as bad as my PG liquids do. My Hobby Lobby didn't have a huge selection of Lorann flavors, but what they had was nice (Butter Rum in particular.)

MnMom

Apr 21, 2009
Rochester, Mn USA
i went to every store in town to see where the best deal on glycerine and candy flavors are.... cheapest is at walmart.. in craft area (cake making area) but for the flavors they only carry them seaonsally. hobby lobby only sells a four pack of flavors- mint peppermint cherry cinnomin, unfortunately for me i am allergic to chocolate and all mint type stuff makes me think of chocolate.. and its bad side effects it has on me lol

the best place for the candy flavors i have found is hoppy lobby.. they sell about 15 flavors (i bought one of every kind lol) and also pretty good price on droppers etc
they are in candy making area.. also you can find bottles of diff types in other areas of thier store... candle making jewelry-beading etc you can also buy a gallon of pure veg glycerine by the liter online... way cheaper lol but who really needs that much lol i think was about 35+shipping for food grade and i found it at lots of diff sites - i am a google maniac, and as for other stores... we used to have a couple cooking specialty stores in town but they are gone now (i cook alot and love those stores) if there are any in your area they prob carrry it too and prob special order any flavor you want etc although prices are usually a bit higher there

hope it helped christine
hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread