Ugh...I did something to my REO. I need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kh888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Illinois
Hi All -

So, I have managed to do something "I should not have" to my REO SL/LP.

I recently purchased a clone Chalice III to give it a try. I built my coil at 1.5 Ohms and put it on the above REO. Unfortunately, I believe I "pulsed" it, while trying to get the hot spots out of the coil. Next thing, I feel a semi-vibration in the mod. Immediately stopped everything and set the REO down.

Upon inspection, the coil is fully collapsed and cannot tell if the battery is even slightly vented. Regardless, I will toss the battery. But, I am not sure what I might need to order from Rob to repair the REO, or if I should just send it back to him for repair.

I used Noalax on the connections and the top of the battery. I think it was my error in "pulsing" but, if I could get some clarification it would be appreciated. Whatever I did...I don't want to do it again!

Thanks, all!

Underdawg736

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Lancaster, Pa
Sounds like you shorted it!
Do you have any spare springs to swap out the collapsed one?
Check the coil and its tails, is any of it touching anything metal other then the posts?
How tight did you screw your atty down into the 510? That's what got my first short, I gorilla torqued the atty down and it pushed the center pin past the threaded piece of atty.

I use SxD's method on getting rid of hot spots by threading the piece you wrapped your coil on back and forth a few times. Works like a charm every time!

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Hey Kori, sounds to me like you collapsed your spring. I always have a spare on hand for both the Woodvil and the Grand for that just in case situation. This is also very common for Chalice users. When the new ones hit the market a few months back, there were several people that collapse springs because one of the wires in your atty is making contact with the top cap. They are $5 on the REO site.

Springs 2015 Wood REOs

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I haven't seen a clone Chalice - but in the real one, several people accidentally collapsed their springs with a short because the deck is SO TINY that the coil - or the end of a wire coming off a post - touched the cap for a short.
Therefore, with a Chalice, you want to test the resistance AGAIN with the CAP ON before you put it on your Reo and fire.
Hopefully, that's it - as it's preventable - and not some other flaw within the atty...it is a low-priced clone...there could be another issue. But if it tested OK when you built it, then shorted with the cap on - that's why - check the wire ends!!

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
Always check your resistance again after installing the cap, and also if you are using a metal drip tip. Check your resistance to see if your build is where you want it, assemble everything, and check to make sure it's not shorting and something is causing the resistance to jump all over the place.

Your battery is most likely perfectly fine, btw. The REO did it's job exactly as it was designed to do, and collapsed the spring. It'll collapse well before the AMPs reach a point of doing damage to the battery.

I collapsed one a few years ago with a new metal drip tip I was trying out. It just went too far into the chamber when inserted, and made contact with the positive post inside. Nothing you could possibly eyeball, a short behind the scenes so to speak.

The good news, is it happened on a REO, that protects us. Back before the new contacts came out, some of us were experimenting with replacing the high voltage drop of the old spring with other stuff, some even with plain old brass screws. Rob was like, "don't do that you hoople, I put the spring there for a good reason."

Another small attention to detail on why a genuine REO is worth every last penny.

Cheers

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Put a little maple syrup and some cinnamon sugar on that spring as it is now just a pancake
uploadfromtaptalk1435205133197.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

MotherNatural

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I had the exact same experience with a Chalice. First time I ever dropped a spring and it went in a flash split second. I never did figure out why. The coil just popped. It could have been a tail touching or perhaps the coil was just too old. I've since started to mark the calendar and replace the coil monthly.

Reactions: Kh888

Kh888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Illinois
Good news! My springs arrived a day early and minor surgery has been performed. My REO has been restored to health and I am happily vaping away. Thank you to all the good folks here who guided me to resolve this issue.

This grasshopper continues to learn!!!:banana:

swamijivan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Sunny Italy (South!)
I haven't seen a clone Chalice - but in the real one, several people accidentally collapsed their springs with a short because the deck is SO TINY that the coil - or the end of a wire coming off a post - touched the cap for a short.
Therefore, with a Chalice, you want to test the resistance AGAIN with the CAP ON before you put it on your Reo and fire.
Hopefully, that's it - as it's preventable - and not some other flaw within the atty...it is a low-priced clone...there could be another issue. But if it tested OK when you built it, then shorted with the cap on - that's why - check the wire ends!!
Also for me the Chalice III (original) was the first short in my 6 years journey in Reo life.. Just found that I can't tight the top hard as I do before with my Chalice II! Found the right 'tightness' by twisting the cap when the Chalice is still in the ohm meter.. until it 'shorts'. Just a couple of springs gone.. Cheers, Swami.

Reactions: tobarger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread