Status
Not open for further replies.

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
So. I'm very annoyed with my latest ordering mistake. I wanted to make a carrot cake diy recipe that calls for Real Flavours Carrot Cake, but I bought Real Flavours Carrot. Worse, the places I can get Real Flavours concentrates (in EU) both seem to have *only* carrot, and not "carrot cake" (which I have to believe was a severe ordering mistake for them, too!). I don't think I will ever have a use for this plain carrot, so my question is two questions. Maybe three. Or, okay, four:

1) Is there a way to make this "carrot" into "carrot cake"? I REALLY SERIOUSLY DEEPLY doubt it, but I do have TFA Pumpkin Spice, and a few cakey things. Aside from that, I have no clue.

2) What would you do with plain carrot? I tasted a bit on the back of my hand and it was seriously yuck. I like actual carrots fine, but this tasted just awful.

3) Or what would you substitute for Carrot Cake (SC) (Real Flavors) in the recipe below?

4) Better: Do you have a different Carrot Cake recipe? I have been looking, but not finding!

Anyway, I don't think there's much hope for me with this problem, but here's the recipe I wanted to try, by dbf64 at ELR:

carrot cake w/cream cheese icing

1.5% Butter Cream (CAP)
1.5% Butterscotch Ripple (FW)
2% Cake (Yellow) (FW)
1.5% Carrot Cake (SC) (Real Flavors)
2.5% Cream Cheese Icing (LA)
0.5% Meringue (FA)
1% Vanilla Whipped Cream (CAP)

Any thoughts? Or just soothe me, that's fine, too.

Trigster

Aug 2, 2017
SF Bay Area
So. I'm very annoyed with my latest ordering mistake. I wanted to make a carrot cake diy recipe that calls for Real Flavours Carrot Cake, but I bought Real Flavours Carrot. Worse, the places I can get Real Flavours concentrates (in EU) both seem to have *only* carrot, and not "carrot cake" (which I have to believe was a severe ordering mistake for them, too!). I don't think I will ever have a use for this plain carrot, so my question is two questions. Maybe three. Or, okay, four:

1) Is there a way to make this "carrot" into "carrot cake"? I REALLY SERIOUSLY DEEPLY doubt it, but I do have TFA Pumpkin Spice, and a few cakey things. Aside from that, I have no clue.

2) What would you do with plain carrot? I tasted a bit on the back of my hand and it was seriously yuck. I like actual carrots fine, but this tasted just awful.

3) Or what would you substitute for Carrot Cake (SC) (Real Flavors) in the recipe below?

4) Better: Do you have a different Carrot Cake recipe? I have been looking, but not finding!

Anyway, I don't think there's much hope for me with this problem, but here's the recipe I wanted to try, by dbf64 at ELR:

carrot cake w/cream cheese icing

1.5% Butter Cream (CAP)
1.5% Butterscotch Ripple (FW)
2% Cake (Yellow) (FW)
1.5% Carrot Cake (SC) (Real Flavors)
2.5% Cream Cheese Icing (LA)
0.5% Meringue (FA)
1% Vanilla Whipped Cream (CAP)

Any thoughts? Or just soothe me, that's fine, too.
Bummer...That Sounds Delicious...My only thought would be to go from Carrot to Banana and plug in Banana Nut Bread in place of the Carrot Cake...???...Banana Nut Cake With Cream Cheese Icing...??? :D

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Marc411, you're so very lovely to offer! But it just seems like too much trouble and expense for something I don't even know if I'll like. You are a stone sweetheart, though! Thank you! :)

My pleasure.

A 30ml bottle is $4.99 and I can't imagine postage will be much more that that so let me know if you change your mind.

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
In your shoes, I think I'd try 0.5% carrot at max, maybe less, maybe with some cheesecake or yellow cake, and dressed up with pineapple (or just apple) and brown sugar and whipped cream. Sounds plausible.

My first thought would be to substitute red velvet cake in that recipe. Just thinking out loud!

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Golly @tazzle; that does sound like a tough one. I think, if I found myself in your shoes, I would approach it this way:

First, I would want to figure out, exactly how the Carrot vapes. I personally have never been able to get much useful understanding of a concentrate, by tasting the raw liquid straight (e.g. back of the hand). I need to physically mix it into a stand-alone (single flavor) e-liquid and vape it.

While doing this, I probably wouldn't be looking at it, with the likelihood of it being a primary flavor (though it may end up surprising you), but more as a potential secondary, or even accent contributor. What does it taste like? Is it more of a "fresh-from-the-garden" type of carrot? Or maybe more of the "frozen-foods-section" carrot? Or is it more like a cooked carrot; and then is it sweeter, and more caramelized like a roasted carrot; or perhaps it is more bland, like a boiled carrot? I think, until you understand what it is bringing to the party, you are going to be hard-pressed to know how best to use it.

I also would be looking for what else it might contribute, besides some sort of "carrot" taste, like maybe moistness. It might turn out to be something similar to INW Cactus, where it biggest benefit is adding a "juiciness" to a recipe, instead of a specific "flavor," when the percentage is kept low enough.

I did find three recipe that called for RF(SC) Carrot. One public one, on ELR (called Rodger is Dead -HDH), but of course, it is used in conjunction with RF(SC) Carrot cake. The other two recipes were on All The Flavors, but both are "private," so I have no idea how the Carrot is being used. It appears to be used between 1 and 1.75%, but I imagine that really depends on what other flavors it is being used with.

Then..., once I knew what it was bringing to the table, I decide if it could be useful in a carrot cake recipe.

For the carrot cake recipe (in extremely general terms), I looked at a handful of carrot cake recipes (the desert/not the e-liquid), and kind of arrived at this for what may (and may not) contribute to a e-liquid recipe profile. The recipes I looked at all seemed to use:
Flour
Eggs
Oil
Baking Soda
Sugar
Salt
This part of the recipe creates mostly(?)the base, or foundation of the cake, and will be less about "flavor," and more about mouthfeel in an e-liquid recipe. "Moist," "fluffy," and "delicate" (vs. "firm" or "dense"), are what my memory seem to recall most strongly, about eating carrot cake.

Carrots
Cinnamon
Walnuts
Cream Cheese Frosting
These seem to be (to me) the dominant "flavor" contributors to the recipes I looked at.

It has been quite a while since I have actually eaten any carrot cake, so my perception (and memory) are even less help than normal, but I really don't remember a lot of "carrotiness" in the carrot cakes I have eaten. Instead, if I had to say what the carrots added to the finished desert, I would probably have to say texture: moistness, perhaps a bit of natural sweetness, and some very subtle graininess, and crunch, (from the grated carrots) just hinted at in the background.

So, if this is similar to your own recollection; "Carrots" may actually belong in the first group of ingredients. You could also make an easy case, that Sugar belongs in the "taste" group, and not the "texture" group.;)

What I do recall of the taste of carrot cake is: first a dominant cream cheese icing, then followed pretty evenly by cinnamon, and walnuts. The frosting being super sweet, followed by the cake being a fair amount less sweet, and maybe even, a touch savory. Everything else my mind is coming up with, to describe carrot cake, is all textural (rich, moist, fluffy not heavy, etc.).

Whatever you see, as your desired profile, then you can start finding those ingredients that will give you those results.

For me, I might start with something like:
1. A "cake" component. A multitude of yellow/white cakes, and cup cakes could work here. I am not sure about red velvet as that has a fair prominent chocolate note to me.

2. The cream cheese icing component. LA Cream Cheese Icing is an absolute must to me here. But I did notice that several of the ELR recipes appeared to be trying to use a Yogurt to get some tang; I just didn't see how they were filling out the rest icing.

3. The cinnamon component. This is another one where there is plethora of contenders;everything from FA Cinnamon Ceylon, or FLV Rich Cinnamon, to your Pumpkin Spice (though the nutmeg might be a bit too forward for carrot cake), or maybe even a cinnamon danish, or oatmeal cookie (though both of these may "dry" out the recipe too much).

4. The nut component. I think FA Walnut is the logical starting place here; but Mixed Nut, or even an hazelnut, almond, or pecan, might do okay in a pinch. Peanut is about the only one I would immediately rule out... but what do I know?;):D

I, for one, am interested to see what you come up with. Keep us informed! I am also interested to see what RF(SC) Carrot actually tastes like; if you work up the nerve to try it as a stand-alone.:D
Wishing you all the best!:toast:

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
Great post IDJoel!

I guess I'll try soothing since IDJoel has you covered on all possible means of use, lol.

I did almost the same thing with RF ... I purchased Sweet Potato thinking it was Sweet Potato Pie so needless to say I was a little surprised when I went to sample it. My own fault of course but still a little disappointing. Surprisingly enough though, I actually ended up liking the flavor. It's not a bold flavor by any means, in fact it's quite delicate which makes it difficult to combine with other more dominant flavors but it's really not bad at all.

Maybe the same will hold true for your carrot. :D

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I purchased Sweet Potato thinking it was Sweet Potato Pie
Oh no; BIG bummer!
I actually ended up liking the flavor. It's not a bold flavor by any means, in fact it's quite delicate which makes it difficult to combine
You have me wondering if you could not sub the Sweet Potato for something like Honeysuckle; which is also a sweet, light, delicate flavor. I don't know how aromatic (if at all) the Sweet Potato is; so this may be a really bad idea too.:eek::D

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
You have me wondering if you could not sub the Sweet Potato for something like Honeysuckle; which is also a sweet, light, delicate flavor.

That's not a bad idea at all ... well, maybe ... hmm, I don't know. :blink:

Seriously though, that might actually work out pretty good, Thanks! I might even try the two flavors together, you never know until you try right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread