Ugh, no negativity. I got nic base on my hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly1988

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2019
Buffalo
Hey guys, I received my order of nicselect 100mg pg base and I was all prepared.. my son left for religion and I thought it was a good time to use my new nic. So I started REALLY low and Drew a syringe of less than 1ml and was going to put it in my bottle when all of a sudden my dogs started beating each other's asses and scared the hell out of me and I got probably half of 1ml on my hand near my thumb. I was next to the sink I rinsed and scrubbed with dish soap and then took a Lysol wipes and scrubbed my hand. I'm not gonna die or something and I? God, I know what you're gonna say. I should have worn gloves I know I know. Lesson learned. I feel fine I'm just worried. Sucks being a noob to diy I feel like a little kid

• Optimistic
Reactions: Izan

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Lol. You’re fine. 100mg is still a bit less than 10% pure. The more stuff there is besides nic in a base the slower it affects you. This is actually how nicotine patches work. That “micropore technology” is purest BS.

If you left it on your hand for say an hour, it’s possible you might have started drooling, which is the first sign of nicotine poisoning. Still not too dangerous at that point though. It’s when you get to the staggering and the vision problems that you really have to start worrying. You weren’t even close.

Last edited:

Kelly1988

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2019
Buffalo
Lol. You’re fine. 100mg is still a bit less than 10% pure. The more stuff there is besides nic in a base the slower it affects you. This is actually how nicotine patches work. That “micropore technology” is purest BS.

If you left it on your hand for say an hour, it’s possible you might have started drooling, which is the first sign of nicotine poisoning. Still not too dangerous at that point though. It’s when you get to the staggered bf and the vision problems that you really have to start worrying. You weren’t even close.
Lol. Thank you. I was thinking.. I've done way worse in my day and if nicotine is what does me in then what the hell!? Much appreciated!

Kelly1988

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2019
Buffalo

If you left it on your hand for say an hour, it’s possible you might have started drooling, which is the first sign of nicotine poisoning. Still not too dangerous at that point though. It’s when you get to the staggering and the vision problems that you really have to start worrying. You weren’t even close.
Hey if I could ask another question real quick? When I'm not using my nic bi read I should store it in the freezer.. won't it freeze and be a pain in the .... next time I use it?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hey if I could ask another question real quick? When I'm not using my nic bi read I should store it in the freezer.. won't it freeze and be a pain in the .... next time I use it?
No, and yes. PG and VG both have quite low freezing points. A good bit lower than a freezer will produce, so the stuff stays liquid, kind of. What it does do is get quite thick. Sort of the consistency of honey, which makes it a bit difficult to measure and can be annoying if you’re not ready for it. Pouring out an approximate amount and letting it warm up befor measurement works fine though.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Hey guys, I received my order of nicselect 100mg pg base and I was all prepared.. my son left for religion and I thought it was a good time to use my new nic. So I started REALLY low and Drew a syringe of less than 1ml and was going to put it in my bottle when all of a sudden my dogs started beating each other's asses and scared the hell out of me and I got probably half of 1ml on my hand near my thumb. I was next to the sink I rinsed and scrubbed with dish soap and then took a Lysol wipes and scrubbed my hand. I'm not gonna die or something and I? God, I know what you're gonna say. I should have worn gloves I know I know. Lesson learned. I feel fine I'm just worried. Sucks being a noob to diy I feel like a little kid

I hate to break it to you but you are going to die :eek:

But it won’t be from that ;)

You’ll be fine, as I’m sure you’ve figured out by now.

It will thicken up some, a good bit if it’s VG based, but will still be a liquid. I only freeze large quantities for long term storage. For smaller quantities that you will be using in the relatively short term an opaque bottle in a dark, cool place is more than adequate.

Welcome to the forum :)

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I've gotten base on my hands quite often. You vape so you have a tolerance to nicotine to start, and getting a little 100mg/ml on your hands is not the same as ingesting it, it washes off easily with soap and water, no need for Lysol.

All you do is wash your hands if you spill.. it's not a big deal. We've all likely been there done that many times over. While it will get into your system from your hands, it won't do so quickly so standing up and washing your hands is easily done without worry.

At most I've not needed to vape very soon after mixing without gloves lol... but I've never gotten nic sick from it.

Keep your pets out of the room when you mix.

Last edited:

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Been there, done that.;) The first symptoms of too much nicotine are some combination of headache, dizziness and nausea. Oh, and some people get the hiccups. Many of us (like me, for instance) have made ourselves 'nic sick' by vaping with too much nic or vaping more than usual while playing around with new equipment. There's no long term harm at all at that level (provided you stop vaping or otherwise exposing yourself to nicotine); you just feel rotten for the 10 - 20 minutes it takes your body to process the nicotine. If you didn't experience those symptoms, then the base probably wasn't on your skin long enough to absorb any significant amount of nicotine.

For storage, 'best practice' is to separate a large quantity of nic base into multiple small, coloured glass bottles and store it in a freezer (deep freeze, if possible). 'Small' might mean however much you go through in a few months. Then you can thaw it out a bottle at a time. Keep the bottle you're using in a cool, dark place. Some store it in the fridge, but that will still leave it pretty viscous, especially if it's VG, so most people just keep it in a cupboard - as long as it's not right next to the stove or anything else that will heat it up. You might also consider a safe or lock box if you have children.

Heat, light and oxygen exposure contribute to breaking down nicotine. The freezer reduces heat, coloured glass reduces light exposure and glass instead of plastic reduces oxygen exposure and also helps avoid picking up odours from other items in the freezer. Putting it in the freezer is very important if you want it too last a few years. The other two help, but are a bit less important. Nic base stored in clear glass in the bottom of the freezer isn't really going to encounter much light anyway.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... I got probably half of 1ml on my hand near my thumb. I was next to the sink I rinsed and scrubbed with dish soap and then took a Lysol wipes and scrubbed my hand. I'm not gonna die or something ...

Of Course You're Not Going To Die.

:)

But you will probably Never be able to Play the Piano again.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas

Yea, I was waiting for the Ol' Paul Harvey "The rest of the story"...

Seriously, folks here tend to side on the safer methods. Yes, you should have worn gloves. No, that little 1/2 ml of 100mg nic is not going to kill you. Yes, the lysol wipes was a bit much.. ;)

You learned a lesson that many will repeat. You may even repeat it. I'll probably do it also!

Kelly1988

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2019
Buffalo
Yep the Lysol wipes we're a bit much lol. Through Google it was saying report to emergency room or poison control lol. My husband is a police officer and he stopped home and saw me with the Lysol wipes and he's like .. dude, you shouldn't be playing with this stuff. That's how I felt, like a scared little kid who just got caught playing with matches or something lol ugh, I got freaked. I'm good now with my extra nic lol!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I've gotten base on my hands quite often. You vape so you have a tolerance to nicotine to start, and getting a little 100mg/ml on your hands is not the same as ingesting it, it washes off easily with soap and water, no need for Lysol.

All you do is wash your hands if you spill.. it's not a big deal. We've all likely been there done that many times over. While it will get into your system from your hands, it won't do so quickly so standing up and washing your hands is easily done without worry.

At most I've not needed to vape very soon after mixing without gloves lol... but I've never gotten nic sick from it.

Keep your pets out of the room when you mix.
The pet thing is a real point. Goes for kids too VG tastes sweet and pets not only don’t smoke but are much smaller by raw weight.

Kelly1988

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2019
Buffalo
The pet thing is a real point. Goes for kids too VG tastes sweet and pets not only don’t smoke but are much smaller by raw weight.
Thanks for the advice.. I would never let my child or dogs around any vape stuff.. I've been vaping for years but this is my first experience with diy products. No worries two tiny 9lb shih tzu that care more about their milk bones than anything else.. and I have a freezer in the basement that I will store my stuff in

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
When I'm not using my nic bi read I should store it in the freezer.. won't it freeze and be a pain in the .... next time I use it?

As others have suggested, store just your nic base for longterm future use in smaller bottles in your freezer. Most of us just keep about what we'll use in a couple months or so...out at room temperature.

When you're ready to use some that's been in the freezer...let the bottle come to room temperature first, before you take the cap off and start using any of it. Otherwise, condensate will get in it = not good for the nic base.

Kelly1988

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2019
Buffalo
As others have suggested, store just your nic base for longterm future use in smaller bottles in your freezer. Most of us just keep about what we'll use in a couple months or so...out at room temperature.

When you're ready to use some that's been in the freezer...let the bottle come to room temperature first, before you take the cap off and start using any of it. Otherwise, condensate will get in it = not good for the nic base.
All I have is a 125ml.. instead of stories g it in a freezer would a closet in my upstairs bedroom suffice? It's cool up there, dark and safe from anyone accidentally coming across it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread