EU UK Ecig Company Formally Challenges Tobacco Products Directive

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
This just in: UK electronic cigarette company formally challenges Tobacco Products Directive : EU Reporter

Totally Wicked, the UK’s leading electronic cigarette manufacturer has launched a legal challenge to the European Union’s recently adopted tobacco Products Directive on the grounds that Article 20 of the Directive breaches established EU law.

Specifically, that Article 20 represents a disproportionate impediment to the free movement of goods and the free provision of services, places electronic cigarettes at an unjustified competitive disadvantage to tobacco products, fails to comply with the general EU principle of equality, and breaches the fundamental rights of electronic cigarette manufacturers.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
That's certainly good news, perhaps for all of vaper-dom. But I can't help but feel that some of the traditional insularity of the US may apply when the FDA is considering their ill-advised "deeming" -- a sort of "well that's fine for THEM..." attitude. *sigh* As if nothing that happens in the rest of the world has anything at all to do with US (double meaning intended!). Because haven't there already been some excellent studies RE: the relative safety of e-cigs done in the UK? Which seem to cut no ice with the ANTZ's "for the chiiiiildren" histrionics.

Andria

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Andria, I think one major point to consider is that the FDA is surely going to be following this case with interest, given that if they (FDA) proceed with the ecig regulations as proposed, legal challenges will surely follow in this country as well, and they know it.

FYI and BTW, Totally Wicked also sells in the US. I'm going to make a point of giving them some of my business, on principle.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Andria, I think one major point to consider is that the FDA is surely going to be following this case with interest, given that if they (FDA) proceed with the ecig regulations as proposed, legal challenges will surely follow in this country as well, and they know it.

Excellent point, but I still have to really wonder if there's anyone at the FDA capable of tying their shoes, let alone considering repercussions. :D

FYI and BTW, Totally Wicked also sells in the US. I'm going to make a point of giving them some of my business, on principle.

I agree, and I may have to do the same, just to show support for a vendor with GUMPTION! :D :thumbs:

Andria

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
Way to go TW, I've got a soft spot for them too. They were the first company I bought my DIY mixing gear from, helped take my vaping to the next level :D

I knew some of the larger UK companies would mount legal challenges, just wasn't sure when. So thanks for the heads up AgentAnia :)

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
Didn't TW play a major role in a legal challenge in the UK before - and win?

I was surprised to read eGMP's hadn't been develop since there's a transcript of a shareholders meeting on the day deeming was published where both the CEO and CFO (Lloriand) talked about the fact they had been working on eGMP's for 2 years already. I saved it because it sounded so suspicious then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread