The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

UK Government report on E-cigarettes

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Big Me, Aug 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Big Me

Big Me Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 24, 2014
    England
    • Like x 19
    • Informative x 5
    • Winner x 4
    • Agree x 1
    • Love x 1
    • Useful x 1
  2. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Full Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Sensible. Here in NZ our technical expert advisory committee took the view that tank size limitations served no purpose and were needlessly hostile to users.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Thank You for Posting this.

I just sent Copies to my State and Federal Representatives.

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Possum64

Possum64 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 25, 2017
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks for sharing this @Big Me. It is great to read some positive things about vaping.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Zaryk

Zaryk Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    Thanks for posting this. Very useful.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Budgie

Budgie Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 6, 2018
    Saudi Arabia/Scotland
    Thanks for posting, spent a good time reading a lot of it, especially tank and bottle sizes. It does sound positive, they all seem to agree it’s a waste of time, and derogatory to stopping smoking in some aspects. It will be interesting to see what happens. Good read though.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Very interesting thanks for posting it.

Anna

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Vaperer

Vaperer Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 10, 2017
    Puerto Rico USA
    Hey thanks for the good read big.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Pete M

Pete M Senior Member

Aug 5, 2018
    Good brief summary here:

Vaping – good, bad or not clear? - Vaping – good, bad or not clear?

Now the news around this leaves me conflicted - in that on the one hand I say yes! Vape at my desk, great! (To be fair I've done that for years in other jobs but in my current job it's not really appropriate.) Sit in a pub in winter and not go out in the cold - like the good old days! Also, it should definitely be more accepted in hospital and mental health trusts here. And it's good to have a positive vape story to counter the negative one earlier in the week. (Although even that one was balanced and probably true to an extent)

On the other hand there's different types of vaping and some I would be happy with in public indoor spaces than others. For instance, using a little PG high vape pen on a bus is going to be very different to blasting out massive clouds into toddlers faces, especially if there's loads of people doing it. It freaks some people out - even if it's not harmful a lot of people find it unpleasant, and just because it was legal wouldn't win the PR war necessary to persuade people vaping isn't some dumb and annoying hipster fad - which in the UK is how many people still perceive it and we live in probably the most vape-tolerant country worldwide.

It used to be fine in the UK to vape in pubs and cafés when ecigarettes first started until after a few years ...... started blowing clouds big enough to pi** off the landlords who started banning it of their own accord. For anything to be successful would involve a good degree of etiquette on the part of us not to come across as antisocial or idiotic (like the guy who shoots his mouth off in anger when politely asked by a waitress if he could stop - I've seen that a couple of times and it makes me cringe!)

So I think the report's good news but I think to change policy successfully involves getting more than just politicians and health bodies on board. The non smoking non vaping people out there may need to be convinced still for anything like that to be effective. I think saying 'non vapers need to accommodate vapers' (forget whether that's in the report or something one of the MPs commenting on it said) has a massive potential to backfire in terms of public perception.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Big Me

Aug 24, 2014
    England
    To be honest, I can't see vaping being allowed on buses, though I do hope that the current bans in Bus Stations will be lifted.

I would also like there to be Vape carriages on trains (I'm old enough to remember when smoking was allowed lol), just like we have "family" and/or "quiet" carriages currently.

The local pub I use used* to allow vaping as long as you weren't a pillock about it. I would always ask permission first and then turn down my wattage and airflow so as not to annoy other customers. I think etiquette is a major thing that has to be negotiated between all parties - the essence of which is: Don't be a :censored:!

What I'm mostly hoping for is the repeal of the restrictions on liquid strength, tank capacity and bottle size (including squonk bottles). The 20mg/ml (though in reality, 18mg/ml) and 2ml capacity is a major PITA. Although the report recommends that the UK Government look at these things post Brexit, I do fear that it will be a long way down the list of "things to do".

One thing I don't agree with is the suggestion that "medically approved" vape products are a good idea - especially as we know that one size does not fit all. It won't make it easier for doctors to discuss vaping with their patients as they are already able to. (They may not be able to prescribe them but that doesn't stop them being able to talk about them.)

Sorry for the rambling waffle but needed to put my thoughts into words.

Regards

*It's recently changed ownership so I don't know how new management will be. :cry: (Rumour has it they want to change it into a Gastropub *shudder*)

• Like Like x 7
    • Love Love x 2
  11. evan le'garde

evan le'garde Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 3, 2013
    If the government wants to be seen actively doing something about ammending the regulations for e cigarettes they should focus their attention on regulating battery manufacture, distribution and retail. That should satisfy everyone concerned.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Big Me

Aug 24, 2014
    England
    Could you elaborate on how this would satisfy everyone, please?

18650/20700/21700/etc. batteries are not designed to be used in vaping products.

If we were to rely on governments to regulate batteries, knowing our luck, we'd end back having to use 650mAh egos :shock::lol:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. evan le'garde

evan le'garde Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 3, 2013
    Vendors would have to show where they get their batteries from !. Simple as that.

How does the government regulate anything a vendor is selling !?. In the uk e liquid has to be 20mg or less. How does the government regulate that ?. Controlling counterfeit batteries would be an easier task. Just find the source for any batteries a vendor has in stock. Not exactly a difficult task to perform. Governments would have a field day !.

Doesn't matter what the batteries are used for. If the batteries are counterfeit, then they're illegal.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Big Me

Aug 24, 2014
    England
    Any counterfeit item is illegal and in the UK that already comes under the remit of Trading Standards.

And that won't stop someone buying a legit Samsung 26F (5.2A CDR) or an Efest (no idea/don't trust) when what they really need is a Samsung 25R (20A CDR) or Sony VTC5A (25A CDR).

Education is much more important than legislation in this context. Though, I will admit that making battery suppliers (manufacturers/re-wrappers) state the CDR instead of a pulse rating would be useful.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Pete M

Pete M Senior Member

Aug 5, 2018
    Gastropubs - aggh! Actually they're quite good to go out to for a meal, but I'd never want my local to turn into one when all I want is a pint...

I agree about increasing the size of the tanks. I always thought that was a bit of a silly rule, it doesn't serve any purpose to stop people vaping too much or whatever the thinking behind it was - it just makes us have to fill up more often! And yes, there will most likely be more pressing issues after Brexit, such as 'where can I find food now?' :p

I also agree with doubts on prescription vapes; I was fine with coming off the fags with cig-alikes but I know for many that won't cut the mustard. Having said that, most people I've recommended vaping to I've recommended cigalikes because one thing that tends to put people off I've found is the idea of messing around with bottles of juice and coils - they're happier to begin with at least something that they can just plug and play with. These days though with pod systems like Juul, I'd probably recommend them.

Yep, it's definitely the etiquette thing that's the grey area - where it's appropriate and where it isn't but more importantly the type of device or level of intrusion of personal space. Back in the day it wasn't such an issue because all there really were were cigalikes or other low vapour emitting devices. But with the wide variety of devices now available - which don't get me wrong is a truly great thing - it will be really hard to monitor in a way that everyone - us vapers and the not-we - is happy with. In my opinion at least...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Walee

Walee Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 6, 2017
    I appreciate your perspective. When non smokers are present, I'm no fan of subjecting them to fog. Some respect for others goes a long way in promoting vaping. I have friends that are sensitive to the fog produced. It isn't "hurting" them but it does irritate their senses.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  17. LewisW295

LewisW295 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2015
    South Glamorgan, Wales
    After reading that, I'm exceptionally pleased to see such a positive take from the Government.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. Layzee Vaper

Layzee Vaper Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 27, 2015
    2,9 million people smoking less has to be a good thing. Hopefully there will be some reversal of the nic levels, bottle and tank sizes.

I am old enough to remember people smoking everywhere, public transport, work, hospitals, my teachers even smoked in the classroom.

I can't see that most of the general public would want a return to that kind of acceptance. There may well be no harm being done to non vapers by our second hand vape, but it does irritate some people.

I don't think most people have an issue with people vaping outside in public places, inside in enclosed spaces would be an issue for some. Unfortunately people always notice the small minority that don't show any consideration to other people.

Hopefully some more research will be done over the next few years to help those of us that want to vape with as little negative health impact as possible.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Zutankhamun

Zutankhamun Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Isn't the queen like 103 years old? From that pic, it looks like she's been using one of the Stargate Gould Regeneration Sarcophaguses every night.

I don't mind, although from having watched the TV show several time (Sci fi! Macguyer! You can't go wrong!) they seem to have unpredictable effects.

Although I will say again, I enjoyed the report. I wish we could like, collect the SANEST polices from each and every culture, like Putin likes horses a lot and riding them as if he were Fabio, for example, but I think "Ride a horse like Fabio" is a far saner policy than "propagandize the internet" I'm sure we could find some good things from each country, and like globalize THAT, if we have to globalize anything.

I am self-appointing myself "the sanerator judge and jury" but I'll be looking for help. LOL.

Anna

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.