UK had 1st Oil Vaping-Related Death in 2010, US has 17th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
And that might happen if flavored nicotine e-liquid is banned, which will drive it to the black market.
Food grade VG remains pretty easy to acquire as it is used in so very many other things. This strikes me as unlikely, at least currently. Big adjustments would have to be made in many things before this might even be possible.

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I did a quick search and I couldnt find the price of crude glycerine but my guess is it's about the same or more than vegetable glycerine. What makes you think it's cheaper?

$1 a kilogram (around a liter)

Competitive Price Crude Glycerine - Buy Crude Glycerine Price,Crude Glycerine Biodiesel,Crude Glycerine Product on Alibaba.com

It is always about business and making a profit. Fentanyl is everywhere and is an epidemic because it is profitable. Cheap essential oils and crude glycerin are no exception.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
$1 a kilogram (around a liter)

Competitive Price Crude Glycerine - Buy Crude Glycerine Price,Crude Glycerine Biodiesel,Crude Glycerine Product on Alibaba.com

It is always about business and making a profit. Fentanyl is everywhere and is an epidemic because it is profitable. Cheap essential oils and crude glycerin are no exception.
This makes me want to know exactly what the requirements are for a deeming compliant juice. I never really looked. If one could make a deeming compliant juice with that garbage then some company or other likely has. If it’s NOT though..

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Well, theoretically, we've always specified USP grade VG for e-cigs, not crude grade.

The thing is, "USP" designation isn't really vaping specific, it's more about food/digestion/quality (lack of impurities). So it's that last part that's important. BUT...what the digestive system considers OK, the lungs won't necessarily. Like oils.

Most of the USP we get from reliable vendors is, as far as I know, a pretty pure version of the proper sugar alcohol. If not...well...I'd be concerned too.

I don't know any 3-letter agency that will "certify" VG for inhalation though. But maybe, considering BT will get it passed, but that's for a "tobacco product" that no health professionals recommend using anyway.

It all makes my head hurt.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
This makes me want to know exactly what the requirements are for a deeming compliant juice. I never really looked. If one could make a deeming compliant juice with that garbage then some company or other likely has. If it’s NOT though..

I don't think the Deeming process defines what juice should contain. It just says that the applicant has to provide evidence that the stuff in their juice is good for the public health, so inappropriate types of VG wouldn't pass. Neither would good VG but that's another topic.

Reactions: Sloth Tonight

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
I am all for continued testing of everything, to make it as safe as it possibly can be. Everything can always be improved. What I am not for, however, is the government wholesale banning e-cigs, flavored nic juice, etc., when it has always been about harm reduction in comparison to smoking cigarettes. And for that, it has been a miracle, at least for me.

If the government really cared about our health, seems to me, they would have long ago demanded that cigarette-makers remove every dang chemical in there, leaving only the tobacco.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Well, theoretically, we've always specified USP grade VG for e-cigs, not crude grade.

The thing is, "USP" designation isn't really vaping specific, it's more about food/digestion/quality (lack of impurities). So it's that last part that's important. BUT...what the digestive system considers OK, the lungs won't necessarily. Like oils.

Most of the USP we get from reliable vendors is, as far as I know, a pretty pure version of the proper sugar alcohol. If not...well...I'd be concerned too.

I don't know any 3-letter agency that will "certify" VG for inhalation though. But maybe, considering BT will get it passed, but that's for a "tobacco product" that no health professionals recommend using anyway.

It all makes my head hurt.
Wherein enters that guy who had “USP grade” VG that had insect wings in it.

• Informative
Reactions: AttyPops

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I don't think the Deeming process defines what juice should contain. It just says that the applicant has to provide evidence that the stuff in their juice is good for the public health, so inappropriate types of VG wouldn't pass. Neither would good VG but that's another topic.
How is it another topic?

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE
Burried in the Metro UK article:
"He was diagnosed with lipoid pneumonia and fibrosis, a chronic lung condition, and died six weeks later."
I know someone who was diagnosed with lung fibrosis and died in 3 months. Was not a vaper or smoker. That is enough reason for death.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Downplaying the crisis will not solve this crisis. Suppression will only create more interest. Nicotine and vaping is involved. You have to meet it head-on and surface the information ... eg, what will give you lipoid pneumonia and what won't.

Posting Information can lessen a "Crisis".

But it has to be Factual Information. Not some Hyped Up Thread Title about a Story that is Clearly Junk and Non-Vetted.

Doing that is just a Perpetuating of FUD. And giving Implied Validation.

:facepalm:

fiddleshe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
If only somehow they were forced to omit the headlines and only publish the bodies of the articles, the stories will magically seem quite different.
I now believe in "fake news"
"Lie, lie more, insist on your lies and they will believe" seems to be their mantra
People just need to stop being lazy and read the artcles

• Agree
Reactions: wetclay

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Downplaying the crisis will not solve this crisis. Suppression will only create more interest. Nicotine and vaping is involved. You have to meet it head-on and surface the information ... eg, what will give you lipoid pneumonia and what won't.
What crisis?

One person in the UK who died nine years ago, who happens to have vaped for a relatively short period?

Of the people who've died or been hospitalized in the US, the vast majority have admitted to vaping MJ extracts.

How many people will die of smoking related problems just today, in the UK? In the USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread