UK had 1st Oil Vaping-Related Death in 2010, US has 17th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Personally I feel all contributing factors should be tested to rule out any other possibilities. There are reported cases of Lipoid Pneumonia from within the food industry, notably those who use oils, just as an example. And I am sure there are others. Would suck to be misdiagnosed as vaping to be the culprit only to discover it was actually an occupational hazard.

We have a high number of cases all happening within the same time frame. This mimics a contamination outbreak - reference food poisoning if one wishes. But within all these cases, there is likely a variance that does not fall within the same cause but has been diagnosed as, simply because of the outbreak.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
Page 3 girl I think it is....when my in laws come here on vacation they usually bring a couple of suns with them, so I always check out page 3

Sorry old bean but the showing of boobies on page three was considered offensive and sexist, so the page three ladies of today are covered up. The world has gone to .... I say.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Sorry old bean but the showing of boobies on page three was considered offensive and sexist, so the page three ladies of today are covered up. The world has gone to .... I say.

I remember when page 3 first came out, everyone from the feminists to the Christians were running around with their hair on fire. I was a lifelong Mirror guy though. At least until Maxwell took over and cancelled the Forsythes. It was never the same.

icepickmaker84

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2019
Indiana
I remember when page 3 first came out, everyone from the feminists to the Christians were running around with their hair on fire. I was a lifelong Mirror guy though. At least until Maxwell took over and cancelled the Forsythes. It was never the same.
Hold on a sec, you guys had a tabloid with boobies on page 3? Please tell me more. My Grandpa always had a stack of US tabloids around when I was a kid and I never saw that lol

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London

Remember Linda Lusardi? She looks even better 30 years later.

th

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
Hold on a sec, you guys had a tabloid with boobies on page 3? Please tell me more. My Grandpa always had a stack of US tabloids around when I was a kid and I never saw that lol

I'll tell you what I remember as best I can. There were usually two of them and they were generally very nice.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
That stinks, they are coming out in a few months and was looking forward to it...its definitely been a few years since I checked out page 3

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
MSNBC's "Morning Joe" just did a segment on the "vaping crisis".
The way Joe lead into this, my initial reaction was "Oh, man, here we go again...." HOWEVER, I think he was just being open to his guest's points of view.

It got interesting fast. Dr. Campbell basically laid it all out very well. I suppose we can (and will) debate minutiae. But he talked about TWO THINGS GOING ON AT THE SAME TIME....the "youth vaping flavor ban" thing and the "disease thing" (paraphrased) strongly associated with THC. And the other guest, was literally shocked that the Dr. got it all correct and was impressed (seldom happens). All parties ended up vilifying smoking.

Maybe I can post the segment if it goes on-line.

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE
Personally I feel all contributing factors should be tested to rule out any other possibilities. There are reported cases of Lipoid Pneumonia from within the food industry, notably those who use oils, just as an example. And I am sure there are others. Would suck to be misdiagnosed as vaping to be the culprit only to discover it was actually an occupational hazard.

We have a high number of cases all happening within the same time frame. This mimics a contamination outbreak - reference food poisoning if one wishes. But within all these cases, there is likely a variance that does not fall within the same cause but has been diagnosed as, simply because of the outbreak.
* This is only a theory and I have nothing to prove it.
It sure looks like a contamination issue of a component used frequently in vapable THC and can find its' way somehow into eliquid (nonstandard use). This might explain the so called exclusive nicotine users (wish they were tested).
One thing that jumped to mind is PEG400 which was used sometimes back in the day in eliquid and fell out favor. And it is being used now more frequently in MJ carts. I don't know much about MJ but saw PEG sold on few websites as solvent for MJ extracts. Nothing wrong with PEG but it is liable to contamination and higher weight PEGs (2000,4000 etc.) are waxy/oily. Who knows?
Again, this is just speculation.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
* This is only a theory and I have nothing to prove it.
It sure looks like a contamination issue of a component used frequently in vapable THC and can find its' way somehow into eliquid (nonstandard use). This might explain the so called exclusive nicotine users (wish they were tested).
One thing that jumped to mind is PEG400 which was used sometimes back in the day in eliquid and fell out favor. And it is being used now more frequently in MJ carts. I don't know much about MJ but saw PEG sold on few websites as solvent for MJ extracts. Nothing wrong with PEG but it is liable to contamination and higher weight PEGs (2000,4000 etc.) are waxy/oily. Who knows?
Again, this is just speculation.

Legit theory. My take…

No company, be it food, medical or other, is void of mistakes. Our food industry, which is highly regulated is proof of this with contaminated outbreaks. We’ve all seen it, and I am sure some of us might have become ill from it (I have).

But with a contaminated food outbreak, health officials/agencies put forth great efforts into finding the source and eradicating it. This is actually a difficult task given symptoms of food poisoning can take some time to become noticeable, and within that time, the victim will have consumed other foods. But agencies are still able to find the source and do so within short period of time given the complexities.

Ejuice manufactures (legit ones) and or suppliers are also not void of mistakes. Should there be a contamination, or even a change in ingredients, agencies need to act, source and eradicate to prevent further illnesses. If PEG400, or any of its variants, was used as a replacement ingredient, and is the cause of the smaller percentage of claimed exclusive nic users, then this should be easily identified and all products containing this ingredient has to be recalled. If our agencies can find the source of a contaminated food outbreak, then finding the source of a contaminated ejuice should be that much easier. Patients have admitted to using nicotine ejuice, samples should be requested and tested.

Perhaps this is actually taking place – but I have not seen any reference to testing ejuice

Reactions: Rossum

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Yeah, it's a mistake to assume one contaminant in a category of "vaping related lung diseases". Particularly if you start backtracking through all hospital history in the past year.

I did some "research" and found all sorts of things, from essential "oils" to "Will it vape?" (with a youtube pic of a store shelf full of liquids, including sodas and stuff). Dumb, IMHO.

People have vaped all sorts of illicit substances. Further, we can't guarantee that a contaminant didn't work into the nic-side of the supply chain, but it's highly likely that it hasn't given the high correlation with THC and other street-stuff.

Just like syringes and pipes and blunts have been used as vehicles for multiple substances, so have e-cigs. In the syringe case, good things too. We don't call the opioid epidemic a "syringing crisis".

There's the delivery mechanism, then there's the substance(s). Note the plural.

Last edited:

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
I didn't say they were the only ones...good day to you sir.

It's humour. Like when you hve a problem that the dealer or seller doesn't want to acknowledge. E.g...

''When I brake the interior light goes on''
''They all do that Sir''

''My washing machine is making a funny whining noise''
''They all do that Sir''

Etc.

Reactions: fiddleshe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread