UK had 1st Oil Vaping-Related Death in 2010, US has 17th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
That made my day.

How did half of this post appear when I replied, but didn't show up in your post? Maybe something to do with "¯\_(ツ)_/¯". Is that some secret Illuminati mystery so only the enlightened can see the part after the symbol?

edit - I refreshed the page and the hidden message at the bottom of your post appeared. Even stranger now.
No, no mystery. I edited. However if you edit within the first few minutes, there's no "last edited" message.

It's a bad habit of mine, I post, and then either find an error or think of more stuff and I don't want to spam posts back-to-back.

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Personally I feel all contributing factors should be tested to rule out any other possibilities. There are reported cases of Lipoid Pneumonia from within the food industry, notably those who use oils, just as an example. And I am sure there are others. Would suck to be misdiagnosed as vaping to be the culprit only to discover it was actually an occupational hazard.

We have a high number of cases all happening within the same time frame. This mimics a contamination outbreak - reference food poisoning if one wishes. But within all these cases, there is likely a variance that does not fall within the same cause but has been diagnosed as, simply because of the outbreak.

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/ped.2017.0805

Patients with cystic fibrosis are experimenting with inhaling essential oils (scientifically described as random plant-derived secondary metabolites) through diffusers or nebulizers as a form of natural therapy to treat chronic lung infections. In vitro studies are starting to be published on the effects of essential oils (cinnamon, clove, oregano, and thyme) on bacteria commonly found in the lungs of patients with cystic fibrosis. There are no clinical studies and therefore no data are available on a potential placebo effect. There is a potential risk of lipoid pneumonia with inhaling essential oils, although no case reports have been published.

Lots to investigate now. And this too ...
Flavored Vitamin Vaping?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Katya

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Reactions: AttyPops

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
'Toxic chemical fumes,' not oils, may be causing vaping illness, Mayo Clinic researchers find

Doctors researching the cause of a sudden respiratory illness that's killed at least 16 people in the U.S. since July say a mix of "toxic chemical fumes," not oils as previously expected, may be what's making patients sick, according to a new study.

Researchers from the Mayo Clinic examined lung biopsies from 17 patients suspected of having a perplexing vaping illness that's sickened more than 805 people since April. Doctors have previously said it resembled a rare form of pneumonia caused by the accumulation of fatty substances known as lipids.

However, none of the cases examined by the Mayo Clinic researchers showed any evidence of lipoid pneumonia, according to the study published Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine. It's the first formal study examining tissue samples of patients who have fallen ill from vaping.

"It seems to be some kind of direct chemical injury, similar to what one might see with exposures to toxic chemical fumes, poisonous gases and toxic agents," said Dr. Brandon Larsen, a surgical pathologist at Mayo Clinic Arizona and a lead author of the study. "Based on what we have seen in our study, we suspect that most cases involve chemical contaminants, toxic byproducts or other noxious agents within vape liquids."

Interesting development. See also ...

'A direct, toxic chemical injury': This is what vaping can do to lungs

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Lung Damage From Vaping Resembles Chemical Burns, Report Says

“All 17 of our cases show a pattern of injury in the lung that looks like a toxic chemical exposure, a toxic chemical fume exposure, or a chemical burn injury,” said Dr. Brandon T. Larsen, a surgical pathologist at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz. “To be honest, they look like the kind of change you would expect to see in an unfortunate worker in an industrial accident where a big barrel of toxic chemicals spills, and that person is exposed to toxic fumes and there is a chemical burn in the airways.”

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Tests show bootleg marijuana vapes tainted with hydrogen cyanide

"CannaSafe also tested 10 of the unregulated cartridges for pesticides. All 10 tested positive.

The products all contained myclobutanil, a fungicide that can transform into hydrogen cyanide when burned.

"You certainly don’t want to be smoking cyanide," said Antonio Frazier, the vice president of operations at CannaSafe. "I don’t think anyone would buy a cart that was labeled hydrogen cyanide on it."

Pirzada described the existence of myclobutanil as "very disturbing," adding that "it’s going to cause a very toxic effect on the lungs."

I don't know, I'm not a chemist. It says here that myclobutanil can transform into hydrogen cyanide when burned. But when heated?

Geez..........

pixel.gif

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Although it is difficult to discount the potential role of lipid, we believe that the histologic changes instead suggest that vaping-associated lung injury represents a form of airway-centered chemical pneumonitis from one or more inhaled toxic substances rather than exogenous lipoid pneumonia as such, but the agents responsible remain unknown.

And this is why they "work the problem" rather than jump to conclusions.

Yikes.............
Exactly.
Frack.

Small sample size if you consider multiple vectors though. And Tweety, IDK what most of it really means, but I say Yikes! too. I'm smart enough to understand a "chemical burn" concept here.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Tests show bootleg marijuana vapes tainted with hydrogen cyanide

"CannaSafe also tested 10 of the unregulated cartridges for pesticides. All 10 tested positive.

The products all contained myclobutanil, a fungicide that can transform into hydrogen cyanide when burned.

"You certainly don’t want to be smoking cyanide," said Antonio Frazier, the vice president of operations at CannaSafe. "I don’t think anyone would buy a cart that was labeled hydrogen cyanide on it."

Pirzada described the existence of myclobutanil as "very disturbing," adding that "it’s going to cause a very toxic effect on the lungs."

I don't know, I'm not a chemist. It says here that myclobutanil can transform into hydrogen cyanide when burned. But when heated?

Geez..........

pixel.gif
Yeah. The thing is....as I, Rossum, and others have mentioned, cigs contain that too. The question, as is often the case, is amounts. "Dose makes the poison". Saying they found it on, say, a gas chromatograph doesn't mean it tells us how much was there. But it's up to the smart people at the CDC to track this.

For all we know some yutz sprayed the hell out of a crop, and didn't wash the green before processing.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
What if...just what if...
What if we have multiple happenings going on at the same time all causing lung problems.
What if we have the e acetate and myclobutanil and synthetic THC.
Probably astronomical odds...but...just what if ??

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Probably astronomical odds...but...just what if ??
No, given their "profile" right now, relatively GOOD odds, I'd guess. That's why they keep directly saying that they cannot find one single thing that accounts for all this.

Which is why many of us have been less critical of the CDC's approach. Because frankly, they're generalizing until they can "prove it" and then they draw a more specific conclusion. They don't want to steer people wrong...they try as hard as possible to take the safe-proven route, including assuming there could be multiple things going on at once until shown otherwise.

At least that's pretty much how I read it. Add to that, the fact that some vapers didn't cop to using stuff, so that leaves the CDC with a big question-mark(s).

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Firstly, that might be more common in cannabis vaping just due to different quality controls and it being a new market. And all the bogus-sources. Guessing. As I understand it such contaminants have been a concern in that market since forever ago. Maybe the plants are more susceptible to problems than tobacco.

Secondly, don't cannabis vapers use higher wattage? ;)

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
No, given their "profile" right now, relatively GOOD odds, I'd guess. That's why they keep directly saying that they cannot find one single thing that accounts for all this.

Which is why many of us have been less critical of the CDC's approach. Because frankly, they're generalizing until they can "prove it" and then they draw a more specific conclusion. They don't want to steer people wrong...they try as hard as possible to take the safe-proven route, including assuming there could be multiple things going on at once until shown otherwise.

At least that's pretty much how I read it. Add to that, the fact that some vapers didn't cop to using stuff, so that leaves the CDC with a big question-mark(s).

I'm ashamed to say this, but I was very critical of the CDC's approach...I truly felt they were lying. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread