UK Newbie saying hello, and in need of some reassurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montasura

Apr 5, 2013
Northern Ireland
Morning folks (well it is where I am anyway!) :)

Like the title says I've just registered on the forum from the Uk, been lurking for a week or so now.

Anyway, I'm still filthily sucking away on 15 analog cigs a day but have finally decided enough is enough and want to give vaping a go. Having done some research over the last few days and spoken to a few other vapers, I've managed to narrow my choices down to a Joye Ego-C kit or a Kanger EVOD 650 kit. The couple of vapers I know have both said that the Ego-C is probably the better starter option giving a decent TH and good flavour, whilst also being very adaptable for customising. They are also recommending I start on a traditional tobacco flavour before sampling the vast array of great sounding flavours out there. So I guess my questions are...have they given me good advice? And also is there any real difference between a joye Ego-C or an imitation at half the price??

Thanks in advance and hopefully I'll be posting soon about my great new vaping adventure!

Chrissie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

fabricator4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Mackay, Qld. Australia
It seems like reasonable advice. I dipped my toe in the water with a cig-a-like device which had an automatic switch. That lasted only few days until the auto switch broke and I spent a _very_ anxious two days waiting for an Ego-C type kit to arrive. The cig-a-like limped along for one of those days, and on the second day I had a smoke to keep me going. It tasted terrible; vaping is much better than smoking, for me.

My second kit was an Ego-C type system and I'm a happy camper. You should look at some clearomisers rather than the little cartomisers. I got sick of re-filling them and they are too easy to dry out and burn.

Some of the quality of off-brand equipment can be lacking. That tends to be how I shop and I've had one faulty battery (since been replaced by supplier) and haven't been too impressed with some of the clearos and cartomisers. The price is attractive though - you can try lots of things without spending more than some small change. Once you know how things work and what you really like, you can invest in some better kit.

If you have a supplier that has off-brand equipment very cheap then by all means give it a go. Get a set of cartomisers, a set of bottom coil clearos, a tank clearo, and a cartomiser tank (needs punched cartomisers, pre-drilled or DIY). Different things seem to work better for different people. At the moment I'm liking CE4 style tank clearos and might upgrade them to a vivi Nova which is a similar type of system with shorts wicks and larger capacity.

The cheap bottom coil clearomisers hold about 1ml of liquid and are great for testing different flavours. I prefer them to cartomisers because you can see the contents and easily avoid running the dry, and they vape great since the atomiser coil and the very short wick is under the level of the liquid.

I think the one area where I don't suggest you cut corners is the charger. Get a reasonable quality charger that you can have some confidence in and it will look after you and your batteries. (The results of overcharging Lithium Ion batters can be disastrous.)

At some point you may want to upgrade further than the Ego system. I've just bought an Ego-C twist VV battery and it's great in comparison to the single voltage batteries and is a _very_ cheap upgrade - I paid $20 for mine. Because of the interchagability of parts none of the stuff I've bought is wasted. The Twist may become my main battery, but I'll still use the other batteries that came in the kit as backup and when I want something a little smaller.

If this works out well for you, and there's no reason why it shouldn't, then you 'll eventuall want to upgrade to a more solid and configurable mod system like the Vamo II, Lavatube, or the Provari depening on how much you want to spend. There's no rush though, and no reason why the Ego-C system could not be used as is for a long time and mods are as not as practical to use when out and about unless you really _want_ to attract lots of attention.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Welcome to ECF and to vaping Montasura! Whichever of those kits you start with will do you well to get off the smokes. After using it for a while you will be in much better position to know what you like and don't like about it and to decide where you want to take your vaping journey next. Best of luck with it and know you can always come in here and ask anything you want to ask and someone will be here for you.

RooRooBears

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
California
It's different for everyone but what they told you is very similar to the path I took. I kept searching for a similar "flavor" to Marlboro lights... I searched and searched and searched. Meanwhile I'd try other flavors - chocolate, coffee, mocha coffee, vanilla, blueberry, etc. After some time, I absolutely liked the flavors I tried and didn't want anything to do with whatever tasted similar to analogs. It may or may not be the same for you, but if you want to stick to Tobacco flavors - there're many great flavors out there!

My recommendation to you:

o Start with an eGo-C Twist. You're going to end up getting it in the future anyways or at least something similar (you have much better throat hit, flavor, and vapor production with VV devices, i.e. Variable Voltage).

o DO NOT get imitations - the saying "you get what you pay for" holds true for cheap imitation eCigs. You'll hate it and end up buying the real one anyways.

o eJuice suggestions: 24mg nicotine, 50% PG / 50% VG. Since you're smoking a pack per day, start off with a high nicotine dosage then notch it down to your liking. If you want a good mix of flavor, throat hit, and vapor production, start off with 50PG/50VG (this is what I use and still love it).

chimsweep

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2013
Hardwick, Ma
Hi and welcome, I used the Ego C as my first kit and haven't had a stinkie since. It's been a month, not very long to some, but an eternity to me and my 35 year PAD habit. It was fantastic for my liking. The Ego cartridges don't get much love on here, though they worked for me and started me down the road. I don't know what your path will be, but as of right now, everything I started with is in backup mode. Meaning I don't use anything that I started with.......Currently I am using the Vision Spinner 1300mah/UDCT 6mil tank/Single Coil Cartos 2ohm, it's flawless......I repeat flawless. The only thing I can say bad about it...Not about changing flavors quickly....that's the Drip Atomizer's job. That's after one month in. I didn't listen to this board or a good friend of mine.....it's my path and I'll do what I want!!!!:D Should have listened to them and saved me some money and learning experience, actually I choose to learn on the heavy side. It is what it is. I wanted something simple, easy to use, and be JUST like my Marl Reds.....typical new guy. Going down to the corner store is MUCH EASIER than vaping....don't let anybody kid you. Vaping has been a Godsend to me, but a little more babysitting. More work....yes....more fun...absolutely and feel much better, physically and mentally. Don't know what you have for ejuice selection over there, but finding one, two or three you can vape all day is fantastic. Any of the suggestions will work for you...some will be easier than others, some less expensive. Takes some willingness and the vape will do the rest. I've tried patches, chantix, cold turkey....nothing was as amazing and successful as this. So finally in conclusion...No matter what you choose...it will work if you want it to work....the most expensive unit won't if you don't. Jump on the road of being smoke free.....:toast: PS...I read the post above and remembered...PAD smoker....24mg nicotine ejuice....you'll never miss the stinkies.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies everyone. Reading them really leans me towards the Ego-c as a starting point and from there I can start to experiment. I guess one of the things I should have mentioned was the fact that I'm often on the go or just plain lazy the rest of the time, so ideally something that doesn't take up to much time would be best. I must admit that the thought of constantly filling with liquid, charging, etc. etc. fills me full of dread but i'm sure it isn't as daunting as it all sounds!!!

Oh, I should also ask about nic levels. A lot of people suggesting I start on 24mg and work from there. Now I smoke a PAD of Marboro Lights which equates to only 10mg of nicotine over the course of a day. Surely the 24mg juice would be too strong? Or is it all in the way that the body absorbs the vapour???

Last edited:

Chrissie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It's not that daunting - honest :D

If you go for a a kit with 1000 -1100 mAh batteries, each battery should last you a day before needing to recharge.

As for filling, if you go for a kit with something like Vision Clearomisers in the kit, you wont have to be refilling too often either :)

BTW, the Riva kits I linked to are the same as what is known as a KGO in the states & that is highly recommended on here :)

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The eGo-C is a good device, some people hate it and some love it :p. And that's about par for the course with any device out there these days. It's what I started with a year ago and it got me of the smokes.

E-cigarette nicotine levels do not compute directly to smoking nic levels in any real way. I suggest you buy liquids at 18 mg/ml, 12 mg and a very small amount at 24 mg just to have all bases covered.

DylanO'R

Moved On
Apr 4, 2013
Waterford, Ireland
www.vaporium.eu
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier
Hey man, i'd definitely recommend an eGo C-Twist as a starter battery, plenty of power, affordable and simple to use.
Should consider something like the Kanger T3 as a clearomizer or maybe even a 3ml DCT tank and Carto setup.
I jumped straight into flavour filled juices, can't stand tobacco flavours with the exception of Boba's Bounty so its really up to your personal taste what juice to start with, anything from Dekang should see you flying.
Have a look at Vaporium Online Shop , nice site for starter kits and its located in Ireland too.

Thanks Dylan...I'm loving their selection of flavours!!!! And there shouldn't be any problem with postage up North either, thanks for the link.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Oh, I should also ask about nic levels. A lot of people suggesting I start on 24mg and work from there. Now I smoke a PAD of Marboro Lights which equates to only 10mg of nicotine over the course of a day. Surely the 24mg juice would be too strong? Or is it all in the way that the body absorbs the vapour???

Hm... well, everybody's different so it's hard to say what works exactly. You'll have to experiment. I smoked a pack and a half to two packs a day of lights and 24 mg is too high for me. I had to switch to the 12 to 18 mg range. But I suspect, with me, that's because I tend to vape frequently and 24 mg would... call it "burn" my tongue? My taste buds were stunned into refusing to work with vapors at all for a while. Could taste other things but not any of the vapor flavors. I could really feel the "hit" of 24 mg and liked it but I'm at a desk a lot and tend to "smoke" habitually (now vape instead of smoke fortunately!).

So I'm twiddling things around to have lower nic (say 12 mg) for when I'm at the computer and maybe some higher (18 to 24 mg) for when I'm paying attention! :)

I'd suggest looking for vendors that do "sample packs" or vape stores that let you try out juices. You're going to need to play around with it, see what fits you.

Heh, just be careful when you hit on that really great flavor (and you will). It's so easy to "chain vape" or "over vape" and nuke your taste buds for a while. I love blueberries and found a cinnamon blueberry crumble flavor that was so good, I could have cried. :) Next thing I knew, I couldn't taste any vapor flavors at all. "Vaper's tongue" they call it. Goes away after a while but it's very frustrating.

Oh, also, be sure to check out the The ECF Library. Lots of good info in there. Helped me a lot. Especially the discussion of inhalation technique. It's a bit different than what I was used to and does affect (effect... whichever! :) ) the nicotine absorption. At least, did for me. Slowing it all down and exhaling through the nose allowed me to move down in nic level but still kill the cravings for a cig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread