UK Real life meet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepper

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2008
Scotland
Please excuse me if this has been proposed, or indeed has happened, before!

I used to part of an online gaming community a few years back (Old Age Playstationers, for the 'mature' gamer).

Now that I've got that out in the open, I can move on to my main point :)

One of the highlights of the community was the annual meet that was arranged on the site. Basically, we decided on a city in the UK that was easly accessable, got a couple of locals to help out with the arrangements (suggest hotels, restaurants, pubs etc) and then turned up for a great day/night out. We'd usally aim for the main gathering to start early on a Sat afternoon, then a restaurant, then pub. People would generally start to arrive on the Friday night, which acted as a prelude to the main event on the Sat.

So, what I was wondering was whether or not the UK e-cig users are ready to come out in public en mass! Clearly we'd need to use some pre-arranged pubs that would agree to the gathering, since I think most pubs would freak if > 10 people all turned up and started smoking their premises out :D

So, is anyone interested in attending or organising this? We'd probably need to end up with some polls to figure out where to hold it and to sort out dates. However, in my experience you usually need one person to gather feedback and then take the bull by the horns and just get things oganised and then see who turns up - you can't please everyone.

I would suggest somewhere like Leeds/Manchester as possible destinations since they are pretty central - but that's just my opinion.

If people want to do it in Edinburgh then I'd be happy to start the orginisation, but I suspect somewhere in England would be more popular! Previous cities that I've had such events in are: Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff, Belfast, Edinburgh.

I would also suggest the timing should be around 8-12 weeks away so people can make arrangements.

Cage

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2009
Arizona, USA
Such a grand gesture surely demands a grand location!
I promise to show up, although it will require a lengthy drive in which I may have to stop to eat along the way.

Meet me under this tree:
65_GrandCanyon_ArizonaUSA_freelands.jpg

I'll bring the beer!!!

Pepper

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2008
Scotland
Ok cool, we've started the ball rolling then. I would say that we'd need the interest of around 20 people for the UK meet to make it happen (cause only 10 will turn up!)

However, I do like the idea of a bunch of us jumping on a plane and getting the vapor going over the atlantic! I don't think the headlines would do us any favours though :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread