The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

UK Restriction To Over 18s

Discussion in 'EU Legislation' started by e-pipeman, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. e-pipeman

e-pipeman Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Brown Edge, England
  2. Chrissie

Chrissie Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

When I switched my radio on this morning I caught the tale end of the news report. The newsreader said "trading standards are calling for a ban on electronic cigarettes" & I thought 8-o then he added "to under 18's" & I was :D

To me this is very good news as it does look like it may be the main extent of regulations on the e-cig itself. :)

3. googled

googled Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 6, 2009
    ukvapers.com
    Which radio channel was it? Just wondering if the report is available on IPlayer since the news bulletins are often part of of the main programming.

I had to laugh at this bit :

"Anti-smoking group Ash has also pointed out that many of the products are made in China, where it says quality control is "not very good". "

Talk about grasping at straws. What are they so worried about ?

4. Chrissie

Chrissie Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Googled, it was on Radio 1 breakfast show news :).

Have heard from a friend that an interview with Jason (pillbox) is being repeated throughout the day on the BBC news 24 channel if you can get that.

5. Mungo

Mungo Full Member ECF Veteran

Feb 12, 2009
    London. UK.
    Well, i agree that if that is the extent of regulation in the UK, then we here will be heaving sighs of relief. But i wonder if it's not a little short sighted to stop kids trying alternatives to smoking. i live next to a secondary school [11years-18years] and the kids don't seem to have any problem getting cigarettes or dope for that matter.

6. ironsheik

ironsheik Full Member

Feb 10, 2009
    U.K.
    The Sun newspaper today has a similar story to this...

7. V-Power

V-Power Full Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    I heard this on the radio as I was driving to work - exactly the same as Chrissie, I'd just turned the radio on... The newsreader said "trading standards are calling for a ban on electronic cigarettes" & I thought 8-o 8-o8-o - only my second day of vaping and already I don't want to have it taken away from me... then he added "to under 18's" & I was :D:D:D Full of relief :)

And I 've had NO analogues at all today:):)

8. DCrist721

DCrist721 Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    What??? This is insane? Retailers were actually selling these to kids? Selling the actual device is not so much a big deal, but the liquid is. Even though "e-liquid" isn't yet regulated by the US government, because of the US Analogues Act any drug which is similar to a presently regulated drug is subject to the laws of the form which is regulated. Meaning that retailers who sell carts to kids could be shut down just as they would if they sold cigarettes to kids.

I think it's good news that the UK did this and I hope that the US follows suite with this restriction.

9. L E Jay

L E Jay Full Member

Feb 18, 2009
    I don't know that anyone was actually selling to kids, just that its not properly regulated.
    As with everywhere, first we have a go at the sellers, then we have a go at the government, then we have a go at the media 'shock coverage' and then we blame anyone else.
    So we blame the thing itself.
    I don't mind the 'shock' people then turn around and say we live in a nanny state.

10. surbitonPete

surbitonPete Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2009
    North Yorkshire UK
    It's a good point ....It doesn't matter what the government does......kids still get hold of cigarettes or drugs if they want, so 'banning' E-cigarettes won't really make any difference......strangely enough it might be the very thing that will get the youngsters interested in vaping....nothing will appeal to a youngsters rebellious streak more than banning them.

11. Silk

Silk Full Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Romford UK
    Too true, and as already proved in Scotland, the smoking ban has resulting in increase in pubs closing down and a big leap in kids taking up smoking.

What a great result in stupidity.:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.