UltraFire LC 18500 in a K100+

Status
Not open for further replies.
My setup:

K100+
Smoketeck Kick Clone (at 6.5w)
Kanger Safety Fuse
Protank II w/ 2.2 ohm head (but willbe switching to 1.8 when this head goes)

I have been using two Efest IMR 800mAh 3.7v 18350 batteries, but found the UltraFire LC 18500 at my local BatterySource.

I have read all the battery basics posts, read thru 20 pages of "ultrafire" search, and 10 pages of "Battery Issues forum", and can see that the Ultrafires are mid-grade at best. I haven't found any specific references to this battery.

the Ohms calc shows I'm pulling 1.7 amps (and going to 1.9 when I change my head). Am I in the "danger zone" with this battery? it seems to operate properly....

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I found two references to the battery from suppliers here and here.

Both say they are 1600 mAh and protected. Check the pictures, yours should look the same and note they say protected on them. I didn't find any amp limit on these. They are ICR chemistry, so without the protection PCB in them they are quite dangerous. These circuits can fail without warning. One of the sites said they are 50mm long. If that's correct and yours are shorter than this they are probably missing the protection circuit.

At 1.8 ohms you'll be drawing a bit over 2 amps with a fresh battery. A short in your system will take that higher. I think AW 18500 ICR batteries have about a 3A limit, but I'm not sure of that. AW's from a known reputable vendor are very good quality batteries. UltraFire are low quality batteries and some of the most counterfeited batteries out there along with anything else that has 'fire' in the name. With counterfeits you don't know what the specs are, but they will be worse, not better. I don't trust The Source. I don't know the Kanger fuse, but fuses usually activate around 5 amps. The Kick clone's protection likely cuts in lower than that, but I'm not sure where.

So we have an unknown battery, with unknown specs, from a non-verified supplier that are low quality at best and without a working protection circuit are quite dangerous. The fuse is not going to help because the amp limit is higher than what the battery can produce safely. The kick may help, but I'm not sure. ICR batteries are the ones that get quite violent when mistreated.

I would not vape these batteries in any mod. Even if you are doing OK with them now at 2.2 ohms, one short could really ruin your day!

ETA: BTW, Your Efest IMR 800mAh have a 6.4A limit :thumb:

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Ryedan, it does state on the first site link you posted that max. drain rate is 1.5 C (see Specifications tab). That rating alone, and knowing that (blank)Fire batteries almost always have grossly overstated capacities, means this battery is unsafe for use in a mech. mod with any device. Period.

Thanks Rickajho, I missed that! So 2.4A max output. I totally agree this battery is not safe in any mod!

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Thanks Rickajho, I missed that! So 2.4A max output. I totally agree this battery is not safe in any mod!

Wasn't even gonna post the math on that one because that's assuming the stated capacity of 1600 mAh is actually real. If the real world capacity is more like 1200 mAh... well you do the math. :D :shock::nun:

That's the problem with (blank)Fire batteries - when it comes to stated capacity some of them are much more legitimate than others. Overall they would be the battery of last choice (no choice actually) for a mech mod. Just don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread