Ultrasonic Cleaners w/ Heating Element and Everclear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amirite

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
New York, NY
Wikipedia says the flash point for grain alcohol (Everclear) is 40% - 26 °C (79 °F). An ultrasonic cleaner I bought heats the liquid up to 180°F.

Now while I would never apply a spark to the everclear when it has reached temperature, is there a chance the alcohol could go into combustion from the heat or should it just evaporate?

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've used 91% isopropyl alcohol in ultrasonic cleaners for many years and never had a problem. Isopropyl alcohol has an even lower flash point than ethanol.

But then I've never chucked a lit match into the ultrasonic cleaner, either.

"Flash point" is not the same as "autoignition point." The flash point temperature requires an ignition source; the autoignition point temperature doesn't. The autoignition point for ethanol is 363 degrees C; that for isopropyl is 399 degrees C. Both of those are comfortably above room temperature.

Amirite

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
New York, NY
I've used 91% isopropyl alcohol in ultrasonic cleaners for many years and never had a problem. Isopropyl alcohol has an even lower flash point than ethanol.

But then I've never chucked a lit match into the ultrasonic cleaner, either.

"Flash point" is not the same as "autoignition point." The flash point temperature requires an ignition source; the autoignition point temperature doesn't. The autoignition point for ethanol is 363 degrees C; that for isopropyl is 399 degrees C. Both of those are comfortably above room temperature.

This is re-assuring. Thanks Mostly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread