Ultrasonic... Plastic bottles..ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan diy

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2017
Hey all....
I was wondering.. Im thinking of trying out an ultrasonic cleaner for steeping... I was wondering if doing that with the juice being in a plastic 30ml bottle would be ok or would it only be ok to do it in a glass bottle.... Not sure..
If anyone could advice id appreciate
Thx:nun:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'd use glass bottles if I were steeping in an ultrasonic cleaner. LDPE can leach into the water from what I've read. I use LDPE bottles and glass bottles for mixing, but wouldn't feel comfortable putting LDPE in an ultrasonic cleaner for juice steeping.

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hey all....
I was wondering.. Im thinking of trying out an ultrasonic cleaner for steeping... I was wondering if doing that with the juice being in a plastic 30ml bottle would be ok or would it only be ok to do it in a glass bottle.... Not sure..
If anyone could advice id appreciate
Thx
My local drug store sells denture (best plastic cleaner for stubborn stains) cleaner tablets, could try this hands free cleaner.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
As for which plastics do and don't leach; you might want to read this: Plastic Bottles: Are They Safe & What Do The Numbers Mean?
(LDPE, and HDPE are actually good choices;))

The biggest detriment (in my mind), of using plastic in an ultrasonic cleaner, is loss of efficiency. UCs basically create very high frequency sound waves (or vibrations). Plastic bottles absorb those vibrations and make them less effective.

My cheap little Harbor Freight UC came with instructions, that stated using the hard plastic basket (included for delicate items; like jewelry), would diminish efficiency by up to 33%. I would guess that the softer plastic used in a lot of e-liquid bottle would absorb even more.

Glass on the other hand, is quite rigid, and therefore transfers the sound waves quite efficiently.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
As for which plastics do and don't leach; you might want to read this: Plastic Bottles: Are They Safe & What Do The Numbers Mean?
(LDPE, and HDPE are actually good choices;))

The biggest detriment (in my mind), of using plastic in an ultrasonic cleaner, is loss of efficiency. UCs basically create very high frequency sound waves (or vibrations). Plastic bottles absorb those vibrations and make them less effective.

My cheap little Harbor Freight UC came with instructions, that stated using the hard plastic basket (included for delicate items; like jewelry), would diminish efficiency by up to 33%. I would guess that the softer plastic used in a lot of e-liquid bottle would absorb even more.

Glass on the other hand, is quite rigid, and therefore transfers the sound waves quite efficiently.

I didn't do any research before my post about LDPE in a UC. It just seemed to me that softer plastic might break down more quickly than HDPE or PET with heat and UC waves over long periods that would be used to steep juice. It's the reason I use a frother instead of my UC to mix up juice. I can wait for steeping as long as I mix enough juice in a session.

Joel, do you have the large Harbor Freight UC or the smaller oval shaped one? I bought the smaller one originally to clean my wife's jewelry and other small items. It's mostly been used for new atomizers to clean off the machining oils and whatever before use.

• Agree
Reactions: IDJoel

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
It's the reason I use a frother instead of my UC to mix up juice. I can wait for steeping as long as I mix enough juice in a session.
I'm right there with ya' Dave. My Badger mixer is my best friend! :D

For anyone wondering what Dave and I are talking about; it is this: Badger Paint Mixer
Joel, do you have the large Harbor Freight UC or the smaller oval shaped one? I bought the smaller one originally to clean my wife's jewelry and other small items. It's mostly been used for new atomizers to clean off the machining oils and whatever before use.
Just the small one. I tried it a couple of times on e-liquid, and really couldn't tell a difference. Never bothered after that. Now, it is used solely for eye glasses, and atty washing. :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm right there with ya' Dave. My Badger mixer is my best friend! :D

For anyone wondering what Dave and I are talking about; it is this: Badger Paint Mixer

Just the small one. I tried it a couple of times on e-liquid, and really couldn't tell a difference. Never bothered after that. Now, it is used solely for eye glasses, and atty washing. :)
I've been looking at slightly larger and more powerful UC's lately. I bought the cheap HF UC and it's great for jewelry and atomizer parts. I want one with a timer and more power. I'm tired of punching the button every 3 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I've been looking at slightly larger and more powerful UC's lately. I bought the cheap HF UC and it's great for jewelry and atomizer parts. I want one with a timer and more power. I'm tired of punching the button every 3 minutes.
I used mine like this for 30-45 minutes per for 4.5 years till it burnt out.
I said when I bought it that I'd consider it "got my money's worth" if it lasted over a month. 55 months for $25 was $$ well spent. Picture from 6/2013
9096720687_32a8724c26_b.jpg

I bought an replacement (unbranded but same model) off Ebay but the on button needs to be re-clicked after 3 minutes. Holding it down doesn't work on the new one.
The replacement sits in the box on a shelf JIC.

I bought a bigger replacement that makes a louder buzzing noise but it has heat, 25 minute cycles and holds way more bottles.
Haha. Pic from 1/2018 and I just jiggled more NN OMFG It's Chocolate this AM.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HLBKNOY/
New USC 1-2018.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread