The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Umm, my battery started smoking?? (iStick 30w)

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Floah, May 27, 2021.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Floah

Floah Full Member

Feb 17, 2019
    Well this sucks, I have an iStick 30w and toptank mini, I ran out of pre made coils so I thought i would try the RBA of the toptank. At first it read out as “protection” upon trying to fire it (I think the ohms were too low on the pre made coils included with the RBA at .1), then it said low battery (it was almost fully charged) so i plugged it in and tried to fire it once more and the thing started smoking (no protection message this time, just a little puff of smoke within the LED window). I only fired the button for a split second and it still seems to be functioning. Not sure what I should do lol or just ditch out on it? It appears to be working yet but stinks like an electrical fire now. I’m kinda reluctant to use it (I still have an old coil but it was starting to taste funky). Any advice or idea what might’ve happened?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Floah

Floah Full Member

Feb 17, 2019
    The smell appears to be coming from the charging port side but I have no idea

• Like Like x 1
  3. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Wait, What? :facepalm:

:pop::pop::pop::pop:

• Funny Funny x 5
  4. charlie1465

charlie1465 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sounds like you've had an earth fault (short circuit). The coil was probably installed in the wrong place.

Sounds like you've fried the short circuit protection on the board. Some mods say don't fire whilst plugged in but I'm not sure about this one! They definitely wouldn't have supplied a 0.1 ohm coil. My guess is there was a short and you were drawing more amps than the battery could handle. My advice is to ditch it....sorry :danger:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Floah

Floah Full Member

Feb 17, 2019
    Idk but I think I must’ve somehow tricked it into firing and it shouldn’t have. Well what happened was I unscrewed the coil base, supposedly that resets the protection reading or whatever if it’s not working properly. But idk what that has to do with the charger either or why the protection would’ve failed a second time. Just not sure if I should (probably) discontinue using it even though it still appears to be working. Any suggestion(s) for a replacement to go along with the toptank?

• Like Like x 1
  6. charlie1465

charlie1465 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Floah

Floah Full Member

Feb 17, 2019
    I think I’ve found the problem, something to do with the spring loaded pin, the gasket has come loose around it and even my old 1.2 coil reads at .1, the further you screw it on the lower the reading gets

8. Superuser187

Superuser187 Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    Ouch :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Opinionated

Opinionated ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Mods don't last forever and it seems like this one has sadly passed.

Time for a new mod. As Charlie suggested, Pico is good.

Vapor Authority has it in stock:

iStick Pico 75W - iStick Pico Full Kit With Melo III - Eleaf 75W

And you can use 22mm rebuildable tanks on it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Hate to be the one to Tell You. But your iStick has gone to the Great Vape Drawer in the Sky.

sunrisesunsettime.jpg

BTW - When using the STM RBA Section, you have to trim the Coil Legs Completely Flush with the Mounting Screws. Else they will touch the Side of the RBA Barrel. Causing the Magic Smoke to be Released.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 4
  11. UncleJunkle

UncleJunkle Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    UDIO, Clown World
    - The iStick 30W has a low resistance cap of 0.5 ohms. It will tell you "Atomizer Low" (I think) when your build is too low.

"Protection" message on the Istick 30W screen is overheating protection, nothing to do with a short. See vid below.

The Istick 30W has short protection which has it's own specific message, which is "Atomizer Short". I know becuase I just shorted out my istick 30W just now to see what it would tell me/do.

Recommendation: Get rid of it. Your charge port is likely damaged and this is not uncommon with the Istick 30W since you have to constantly use the USB port to charge it. Cheap USB port.

View 18:37 if video starts at beginning.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  12. Floah

Floah Full Member

Feb 17, 2019
    So what’s the deal you have to sign now upon delivery of vape related products or something? I haven’t ordered anything in quite some time but I know some new law went into effect

• Like Like x 1
  13. Falconeer

Falconeer Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I've been using iStick 30w mods for some seven years and never had a problem but I have never tried running the things with a coill at less than 1.6 ohms.

IMHO you tried firing this with a coil lower than the thing was ever designed to handle and so it didn't buy it, and you, going on the info given, forced it to do it and blew the thing.

Sorry it happened but it has, so maybe you need to buy a different mod that'll handle the low Ohms you want it to.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Opinionated

Supporting member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Yes, due to the PACT ACT vape mail can only be shipped adult signature on delivery...

It makes it more expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Superuser187

Superuser187 Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    The mod was chilled at first and was like ok I am gonna say "protection" then u tried again and it was like ok I am out I am gonna say I don't have battery and he will stop trying......and then u plug in the charger and then mod was like oh dam :eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. Floah

Floah Full Member

Feb 17, 2019
    It had been giving me this protection error on and off for a month or so even before I tried using the rba so something wasn’t right

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Floah

Floah Full Member

Feb 17, 2019
    That’s the weird thing tho I don’t think the coil was actually that low it’s not reading anything right anymore apparently. I think the pin is messed up

18. Floah

Floah Full Member

Feb 17, 2019
    Will it eventually be completely banned or some like that I read?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Opinionated

Supporting member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Vaping won't be banned, but shipping to retail consumers will be as soon as the Post Office makes their final ruling. It's written into the law but the Post Office has to finalize it.

Soon your only option will be your local brick and mortar vape shop.

We've been stocking up.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Floah

Floah Full Member

Feb 17, 2019
    I ordered some kanthal from eBay, you have to sign even for stuff like that?