RDA Unboxing, building and testing Stillare V3 Clone (lots of Pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

opensec

Verified Member
Oct 18, 2014
Indiana
Hi all,

Went on an online shopping spree lately caused by the Clearance on angelcigs website (check it out there's some crazy deals), so I thought I would share the unboxings with you guys starting by the Stillare V3 clone ($8.45).

IMG_8112_zpsd598a0ce.jpg

As you can see on the close up picture above, the finish on this atty is quite nice, and out of the box, it's a real beauty, simple but elegant lines, nice engraving. It comes without drip tip, but you will get the bag of spares including a set of O-rings (2) and a set of copper plated screws (4).

The Stillare V3 is a 22mm stainless steel rta, here are its components, there's basically only 3 parts to it : the base/deck, the top cap/barrel, the afc ring

THE PARTS

IMG_8151_zps1a2d1993.jpg

The Base/Deck

Obviously it's a 4 posts deck, all 4 copper plated, so it's designed primarily for 3 coils builds, but you can also go with single or dual coil.
The well is clover shaped, divided in three sections, but it's one unique well allowing the juice to flow evenly in the three sections of the well.
The negative post are on the edge of the deck, and you will notice, on the base of each post, 2 "wire canals" allowing you to trap the negative leads under the screws more efficiently, and yes, it works quite well.

IMG_8127_zpsee28c186.jpg

The positive post has 6 slots for the positive leads. the slots are quite roomy, I'm sure it would be no problem to fit three 24 ga leads in those (haven't tried though) and possibly even 22. I have no idea about 6 coils builds, but if it's your thing you could definitely try (but stay safe).

IMG_8141_zps9f5aa4aa.jpg

The 510 pin is copper, NOT adjustable, Made in USA? I don't think so :facepalm:

IMG_8121_zpsd7fc651a.jpg

The Top Cap/Barrel

The inside shows a very nice conical shape reduction chamber. The air intakes are on the base of the top cap, 3 cyclops style holes, 1 large 1 medium 1 small (sorry guys, no dimensions, my caliber is dead, replacement on its way from slowtech)

IMG_8154_zps9154dc8f.jpg

The outside view shows the 510 drip tip connector

IMG_8155_zpse3b80120.jpg

The AFC ring

the ring goes all the way down to the base of the atty snugly held by the oring on the base/deck and the one on the top cap, it is actually so snug that you can forget about adjusting your airflow while using the atty, you will need to pull the top cap / ring assembly up the base to adjust the airflow.
But chances are, once you found the desired airflow, you won't feel like changing it anyway.
So to be clear, the AFC ring is designed to be pretty, not functional
The ring has 3 cyclops hole, 7mm x 2mm approx. You have to adjust the airflow out of the base, to do that you simply rotate the ring, BUT, the design of the intakes / ring cyclops doesn't allow you to enjoy every possible configuration, in one coil configuration, the smaller opening I could get was one hole half open, dual coil you can get 2 holes a quarter open for the smallest, but on three coils configuration I didn't find any other configuration than fully opened.

IMG_8133_zpsde39b945.jpg

THE BUILD

Here is my 2nd build 26ga kanthal, 9/10, 2.4 mm diam, reads 0.4 ohms :
IMG_8167_zps313218ed.jpg

As I said before, the channels on the edge of the deck are a great help and trapping the negative wires is really easy, the positive post holes are roomy, and the deck has plenty space, that makes the build real easy even in the tri coil config.
One thing with these lead guides, as you can see on the picture (bottom left screw), the lead is guided toward the outside of the deck edge, you will have to trim it very very close or they will prevent the afc ring to slide on the base. EDIT : thx to Elyptic, to get your tails cut flush, just do the "twist and tug" :)
It was only a second try, but overall, fast and satisfying build.
the key is to place the coils high enough so that they are at the level or slighty higher than the air intakes. to find the right position, just compare the height of the coil with the height of the cyclops (see below)

IMG_8174_zpscb2aa7af.jpg

THE VAPE

You'd better like airy, cause that's what you get, huge airflow, massive vapor production, BUT, the flavor is also there.
I think the reduction chamber is for a lot in the flavor rendition, but the coil placement is critical as well, my first build, the coils were too low, giving me a pretty strong vape, a hell of a throat hit, but not full flavor, it got infinitely better on my second build with the coils at the proper height.
I'm not a cloud chaser, so I've built pretty conservatively, but the original was said to be at its best at lower res, personally, I won't get lower than that, but I'm already very pleased with the vape, loaded with flavor, producing massive vape and not too warm, a smooth nice flavorful vape.

BOTTOM LINE

Definitely my go to atty when I feel like getting some thick full direct lung inhales, the AFC system is poorly designed, but I just leave it opened in full and forget about it, no big deal.
Aesthetically, very pleasing RDA, plain elegant.
The lack of flexibility may have been disappointing if I had gotten the$120 original, but I haven't, I got a $8.45 clone along with many other toys, it is very well made, I couldn't find any thing different from the original's reviews and pictures I saw, I am very happy with the vape quality, the ease of build, won't touch the AFC, and keep on my vaping journey with my first tri coil RDA :vapor:

http://www.angelcigs.com/clearance.html

Vape on

Last edited:

opensec

Verified Member
Oct 18, 2014
Indiana
Yep, had to put my old fart glasses on to trim those suckers, my nail clippers work wonder for that kind of stuff though, so not too much of a trouble for me, I guess it is the price to pay for using the lead tracks.

oh and thanks for your feedback by the way, I may just try to keep this format and do more, I like the process, taking macro pictures of every part is actually great help to understand the atty and its design.

Elyptic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2014
Upstate NY
Genius! Not sure why I didn't think about it, but that's a quick fix
I was doing it on the positive post only ... :facepalm:

I edited the main post to include this tip, thx buddy!

Glad I could help!

I'm still newish to the vape scene, so anytime I can help someone else and pay back the help I've been given is a good day!

Bits scrambled by Tapatalk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread