Unemployment goodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluewraith

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
Peru, IN
So I'm riding the train with the other 20% of people in this city, unemployment. The girlfriend left the same day the job did (imagine that) and now I'm out on my own with nothing to do.

What do you guys keep yourself entertained with? I volunteer at the Fire Department, but that only goes so far.

I also am not a great cook, but the food pantry has been keeping me well stocked for the most part. Right now I'm munching on celery and peanutbutter.

Aside from vaping myself ......ed, anybody have any other ideas for life on unemployment? Meals, activities, etc...

I'm in the same boat, i was laid off in Aug08. I was passing the time with my horse most of the time until she became too expensive to keep her bc unemployment only pays so much. I basicly dusted off the xbox360 i had bought while working. i say dusted off bc i bought it and then couldn find time to play it bc of my jobs demanding hours. I've been playin games in between lookin fer jobs, and workin in the yard.

bluewraith

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
Peru, IN
I'm in the same boat, i was laid off in Aug08. I was passing the time with my horse most of the time until she became too expensive to keep her bc unemployment only pays so much. I basicly dusted off the xbox360 i had bought while working. i say dusted off bc i bought it and then couldn find time to play it bc of my jobs demanding hours. I've been playin games in between lookin fer jobs, and workin in the yard.

Already done the game route. I reinstalled Portal and a few others, but that only kept my interest for a couple of nights. I thought about picking World of Warcraft back up, but omg that game ruins me. I'll spend 18-20 hours straight playing that. Ugh.. Damn my easily addicted brain.

I would paint, but the lease is up in 2 months and I think I might move.
I'm not artistic.. at all.. xkcd beats me hands down.

Maybe I just need to get a snugglebuddy. haha

oldtechno

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2009
United States of America
Celery and peanutbutter? I remember those days--still do it occasionally.

Au,....let's see...
1. Savation Army (wanna ring a bell while the world sneers at you?)
2. Make paper airplanes. (don't poke your eye out)
3. Listen to music (rock and roll to go is best)
4. Make a wishlist of all the vaping equipment you 'wished' you had.
5. DVD player (they're cheap)...old movies anyone. -- Bogart and Bacall
six."Clean that nasty bathroom up!"
7. Fall house cleaning.
8. If you don't mind destroying the intelligent centers of you brain governing what's real and what isn't--watch TV.
9. Read the Bible

online video games are fun.... obviously not the ones where you have to pay (WoW).... everything these days costs money, it costs money to go do something for free these days, and penny candy is 85 cents plus tax......

Hobbies around the house/apartment build things... draw, write, read.... I know all of it costs money but it's all I can think of. Last time I was unemployed I sat at a friends house all day playing his video games and smoking his marijuana, he didn't care so I didn't feel bad. But that was a while ago and I don't know if I'd be able to deal without even a little bit of money anymore. Oh yeah he even bought me beer. He'd make a good friend to a homeless guy.

bluewraith

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
Peru, IN
I never really have been a fan of tv. I get 2 maybe 3 channels depending on the way I hold my arms. I'm a big WW2 movie buff though, but the 50+ collection that I had years ago mysteriously grew legs last year. Nice set too... 6 discs and a xxxxton of old black and white movies. Hrm...

My kitchen needs to be cleaned rather badly. I'm out of dishes, with no willpower to wash the ones that have been building up. I wont say how long they have been there. Anyone want to make $20? ;)

I'm already on several dating sites, and been talking to a woman. Yay! :D Unfortunatly, she lives an hour away. Ugh...

Wishlist for vaping equipment? Thats too easy... just go to any company site and hit "view all".

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California
well, if you're thinking of moving, then get busy cleaning out everything you haven't used in the last six months. Old clothes, shoes, magazines, etc.

Take magazines to oldfolks homes and homeless shelters. Animal shelters always need clean towels, old or not.

Shelters and missions always need people who can help prepare and serve the daily meal and cleanup afterward. You may even find an employer volunteering that day, and that may lead to job leads. So can interacting with shelter/mission staff.

If helping at a human shelter isn't for you, volunteer to help at an animal shelter. They're always looking for volunteers to come in and exercise the dogs or give them baths and brushing .

Plan for a 'depression garden' for next spring. Even on an apartment balcony or patio, a few scrounged tubs you can fill with dirt will support a half-dozen tomato plants and some eggplants, too. cucumbers can grow in containers and so can carrots. Seeds are cheap this time of year - 10cents a pack. Plan what you want to grow and start collecting a few plastic tubs/containers. (no plastic garbage cans, tho -they're treated with stuff to repel rats - not good to grow in)

Go thru your paperwork - shred/burn old bills - organize your personal papers. Make a will and get it witnessed.

Start making hand-made christmas presents for your family. A handmade card, a favorite picture next to an original poem in a cheap dollar frame, make some jam, or an oversized and hand decorated cookie, and wrap with tissue paper and inexpensive ribbon.

Rent movies from your local library - free.

Take up walking. Take your digital camera with you and take some pictures, which you can download to photoshop and experiment with editing.

Keep a journal - write something, anything in it, every day.

Keep looking for work - don't give up and get into being lazy.

Learn a new skill - teach yourself sign language, or how to play the piano or guitar (you can make your own piano keyboard out of flat cardboard - use a cardboard tube from wrapping paper to practice guitar chords)

Clean a different room every week, down to the dustbunnies under the furniture.

Write a beginner's guide to WoW, put it on cd and sell it on ebay.

Stay in touch with your friends from work. Contact old co-workers. Don't discuss being unemployed, just keep it friendly and casual.

Keep your mind active and informed - read a book a week, or a newspaper - both free at libraries.

That's about all I can think of right now, hope this helps!

TTRP

lunaras

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
Nowhere
If you like MMORPGs, but don't want to pay monthly subscription fees, there are plenty that are free to play. Most offer a monthly membership with some perks or have some sort of real $ marketplace to upgrade your character that support the game, but they are completely optional. I was playing Dungeon Runners for a while, but it is shutting down at the end of the year last I heard.

I'd recommend trying a few of them if you get bored in the house and see if you can find one you like, and even if you don't, that'll keep you busy for a few days.

SeriousLevity

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2009
Omaha NE
wraith,
I don't know how old you are but you might consider night school. At 45 I am currently riding out a lay off. Life is too short to be sitting around doing nothing.

I am old enough to know that if I'm layed off now, I'm on the short end of the stick and it may happen agian. I am taking a couple engineering courses at the local community college trying to enhance my skills and improve my lot in life.

Being unemployed you may qualify for financial aid. I went back to school last year and love it.

Just food for thought.

enadrown

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
Salina, Kansas
I am a classic case of WHAT NOT TO DO, I can tell you everything you shouldn't be doing while being laid off. LOL. I think I have fallen into a deep depression, I rarely get out from infront of the TV or computer, my house is dirtier than it was when I was pregnant and working a man's fabrication job throwing around dirty steal and running brakes all day. I've only been laid off since August but have no drive to do anything anymore. Thank god I have such an understanding husband. He comes home everyday and just says GO GET A JOB!!! But he understands why I just kind of shut down I guess. SO I would recommend anything active, anything to avoid just stagnating in front of the TV or compulsively shopping on the internet. My two year old makes me take her outside which I never really want to as horrible as it sounds, but she makes me and once I get out there I feel better and happier. Just try to stay active and don't get in the "well im just going to sit here and watch desperate housewives and then grays anatomy for hours at a time" mind set.. or you'l end up like me.. NOT A GOOD THING, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread