Unfortunately, I'm no Sherlock Ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thank you Baditude. Extremely helpful, I feel I have a pretty good grasp on how it affects vaping now. I wish I had that understanding before I bought my initial kit.
Any idea what guage and how many wraps are required to produce a coil or 3.0 ohms? The youtubers never seem to produce anything over 2.0.

Are you rebuilding the coils in a clearomizer or building coils for an RBA?

I don't rebuild coils for my clearomizers, I just replace with a new head.

For my AGA-T2 RBA's, I use 30 g Kanthal wire, approximately 6-7 wraps for 2 ohms.

Advice and Tips for Vapors Looking to Try Their First RBA

AGA T2 on Provari's.jpg Silver Bullet with AGA T2.jpg

Last edited:

RedNBlack

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
NE Georgia USA
Thank you Baditude. Extremely helpful, I feel I have a pretty good grasp on how it affects vaping now. I wish I had that understanding before I bought my initial kit.
Any idea what guage and how many wraps are required to produce a coil or 3.0 ohms? The youtubers never seem to produce anything over 2.0.

Hey there papabogart,
Sure Bad can point you in the right direction,
but as a guess, with a 32 gauge kanthal, about 7 wraps on the coil should be close to 3.0 ohms. I am getting 1.8 ohms with the same wire on a 3mm wick with 4 wraps. Think DiscountVapers has a link for wire size and est. lengths:
How to determine ohms based on resistance wire gauge and length..

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
There you go, Papa. :D

Disclaimer: This is the most simplistic explanation and is addressed to new vapers mostly or vapers who are happy within the recommended "just right" power zone (4.5-8.5 watts). If you are using dual coil atomizers or are interested in high wattage vaping, it's a different conversation altogether. :) You will also have to understand the concept of amp limits and how it applies to high power vaping.

Ohm's Law as it pertains to vaping is really not that complicated--and it's very useful when you want to know what you're doing.

Voltage and wattage are often misunderstood by new vapers. Wattage is the power (heat, sweet spot) that your PV (battery and atomizer) generates. Wattage = Voltage (of your battery) squared divided by Resistance (Ω) of your atomizer [P=V[SUP]2[/SUP]/R]. If you're not good at math, don't worry, use this easy calculator:

Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator

Of course, if you own a VW (variable wattage) device, you don't really need this calculator because your device will do the math for you.

The wattage you want, especially at the beginning of your vaping career, should be somewhere between 4.5 and 8.5 Watts. Anything lower than 4.5 watts may not vaporize your juice properly and will not produce enough warmth and vapor. Anything above 8.5 watts increases the risk of burning the filler in your cartomizers (if you're using them) and even some juices, especially the delicate ones.

There are, of course, other variables, like eliquid and JDD (juice delivery devices) that you're using on your batteries. Seven watts on a filler type cartomizer may feel different than the same 7 watts on a fillerless clearomizer or a dripping atomizer. The same is true for different eliquids; tobaccos, chocolate and coffees generally require more wattage (heat), while fruit and other delicate flavors do better with less heat. Everyone's sweet spot is different--those are just very general guidelines.

Experiment and you'll find your own bliss in no time!

The chart below is a good guide to safe vaping, even though some think it's a bit conservative.

e-cigarette-volts-ohms-watts.png

Vapeaddikt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Southern Cloud Cartel Arlington, TX
Is there a tutorial that explains the advantages/disadvantages and when and whys to use attys of higher or lower resistance? What variables (juice, battery mod manufacturer delivery system) influence the selection of the proper atty resistance? Thanks.

It's all personal preference. No advantages/disadvantages besides other peoples personal bias based on their findings.

I've vaped on VV/VW, Gennies, Hybrids, ego's, disposable carto's ect...

I'll give you my biased opinion:

1. There is no need for a regulated device once you understand resistance(Ω's) and coil's/wicks.
2. SubΩ takes slightly longer to heat up if using 26gauge or lower and longer to cool down.
3. Watt's mean more than volts to vaping, mah level's of batteries matter less than amp ratings.
4. RBA/RDA's built right outperform any disposable carto.
5. Mech's and subΩ vaping is not dangerous if done with the right knowledge/understanding of Ω's law and properly rated battery.
6. I prefer a .5-.8Ω micro coil with cotton wick on my bottom feeding REO to any other Mod for daily use.
7. I prefer the taste from dripping/bottom feeding over carto's and gennies.
8. getting more vapor does not mean more flavor, don't get foolish on over drilling RDA/RBA air holes.
9. Don't get stupid with sub Ω vaping going below .5Ω's.
10. You'll only get yours dialed in to whats best for you by building coils and trial and error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread