Uniform firmware for many devices - ArcticFox + NFirmwareEditor

Status
Not open for further replies.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I don't usually vape below 100w (0.1 - 0.3 ohms, 420 - 470f) on my 2 and 3 battery mods. On the pico I tried AF in the 40-60w range (0.4 - 0.6 ohms usually) and didn't care for it at all with the stock SS profiles. Weak vape with no vapor/flavor or throat hit for me at all.

Well all i can say is AF does TC better than the Eleaf firmware.... on my Pico.

VW and my OWN custom power curve make AF more than worth the price and effort. I get the Vape I want to get from TC. That I can use as a model as I figure out TC.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I don't usually vape below 100w (0.1 - 0.3 ohms, 420 - 470f) on my 2 and 3 battery mods. On the pico I tried AF in the 40-60w range (0.4 - 0.6 ohms usually) and didn't care for it at all with the stock SS profiles. Weak vape with no vapor/flavor or throat hit for me at all.
Do you use TC on your 100W mod? I doubt you'll be satisfied with TC on any mod with any firmware at those power levels Fozzy. That said the Arctic Fox is definetly better than the standard Pico firmware for TC or even using a power curve. The mod itself can be a limiting factor, for instance the cold resistance setting is an important factor, and the Pico does vary a bit on this and I have to account for that in settings, sometimes cranking the temperature setting up. No different than the Pico firmware in that regard, however MUCH better temperature accuracy on 316L SS with AF settings than the Pico settings for SS.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Do you use TC on your 100W mod? I doubt you'll be satisfied with TC on any mod with any firmware at those power levels Fozzy. That said the Arctic Fox is definetly better than the standard Pico firmware for TC or even using a power curve. The mod itself can be a limiting factor, for instance the cold resistance setting is an important factor, and the Pico does vary a bit on this and I have to account for that in settings, sometimes cranking the temperature setting up. No different than the Pico firmware in that regard, however MUCH better temperature accuracy on 316L SS with AF settings than the Pico settings for SS.
I pretty much never use my picos anymore as I prefer lower ohm builds. When I mentioned 100w+ I was referring to my rx mods (also have a few hohm wrecker g2's in rotation).

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I pretty much never use my picos anymore as I prefer lower ohm builds. When I mentioned 100w+ I was referring to my rx mods (also have a few hohm wrecker g2's in rotation).
What you mean is you want a lot more vapor. That requires more wire and more watts to heat that wire. A few months ago I went the opposite way. Switching from 28 guage to 30 guage while keeping the same resistance allowed me to go from 30 max watts to 16 and get the same heat flux but producing less vapor, not more. In a few days I was used to it. The advantage is if I hold my breath for a few seconds there's almost no visiible vapor, which lets me vape in more places, saves battery power and seems to be reducing daily ml's, all goals of mine. Early on Evolv believed that 40 watts was enough and it is enough unless vaping needs to be a side show. Clouds are probably fine if that's what it takes to steer people away from smoking and it helps me hide what I do because people usually don't react unless there is visible vapor, but clouds are the reason most of the places I go discourage vaping.

Last edited:

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Haven't seen mention of this yet, so has there been any talk of porting ArcticFox to the Pico 25? I assume it's coming, but when?
I thought it was in the latest release....

If you want more adjustability from your mod than the Eleaf firmware offers then Arctic Fox is worth the effort..... if you are happy... maybe it's worth it. Regardless as it takes like 30 seconds to switch back to what ever firmware you like....... so if your mod is covered... it might be worth the test drive.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: 52anddone

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I just discovered arctic fox a couple of days ago and man am i impressed it has breathed new life into my evic mini and rx200! Im so impressed my next mod purchase has to be arctic fox compatible!
I mostly use a Pico but sometimes use a VTC mini, Evic Basic, or Pico mega. All have AF firmware. I'm happy it works out that way and unlikely to be buying any mod that can't use it.

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Iowa United States
I mostly use a Pico but sometimes use a VTC mini, Evic Basic, or Pico mega. All have AF firmware. I'm happy it works out that way and unlikely to be buying any mod that can't use it.
i think my next mod will be a pico or an istick 200w tc

• Informative

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
i think my next mod will be a pico or an istick 200w tc

There are endless, and justified, debates about China's part in the clone market, and JT's role in particular... but I'm a fanboi (with a dozen or so JTs going back to the i30) and appreciate their advancing of the "upgradeability" concept for our budget sector mods.

That said... I used the exact same " breathed new life" phrase again just yesterday in another related thread. :D

Yup... kudos to the AF team. ;)

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Iowa United States
There are endless, and justified, debates about China's part in the clone market, and JT's role in particular... but I'm a fanboi (with a dozen or so JTs going back to the i30) and appreciate their advancing of the "upgradeability" concept for our budget sector mods.

That said... I used the exact same " breathed new life" phrase again just yesterday in another related thread. :D

Yup... kudos to the AF team. ;)
my 2 year old evic mini was built like a tank im having alot of nostalgia using it again!

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
my 2 year old evic mini was built like a tank im having alot of nostalgia using it again!

Mine (1) is just as OG as well (first month or two, yeah? Still rockin' ). ;)
(~half my dozen JTs are pre-updateables and/or pre-TCs)

Better still was reviving my even older (120w) i100TCs. :D

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I was so tired of the same old joytech/wismec/eleaf menu systems anyway im glad there is an alternative
Since I use temp control it's nice to be able to see the watts used for each puff. I have things set up so when the well of my rda is empty and the wick is becoming less saturated I can see the watts declining and temp rising. It's also nice that the puff counter and timer can be reset.

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Iowa United States
Since I use temp control it's nice to be able to see the watts used for each puff. I have things set up so when the well of my rda is empty and the wick is becoming less saturated I can see the watts declining and temp rising. It's also nice that the puff counter and timer can be reset.
i agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread